Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Penn State could be problematic.
    Good thing defense travels. You've seen tresselball and dantonioball. Punchers chance.

Comment

• Here's the deal. Analytics identify where your team is going to have the most success play to play. That's all. Versus IU, the match-ups favored a successful play for M when they passed on standard downs. That's usually first and second down. In Harbaughffense, the O stagnates when it gets off schedule, esp. with O'Korn at QB.

M did pass a bit on standard downs in the first half and had some success moving the ball running and passing. Since the trend line demos that M can't score inside the red zone, they kicked 2 field goals with Higdon scoring a long TD off a really good counter that gets set up by the kind of blocking keys that defenses read in Harbauffense runs. It's happened, on the season, only once or twice in the run game. It happened maybe 4-5X for 4-8y v. IU and will happen with more regularity as the run offense gets better at it. As long as teams bring their 2-hi or quarters Ss up 5-7y from the LOS and the blocking is right, medium gains turn into big games/TDs. That is exactly what IU did on Higdon's first TD.

The reality is that M cannot be one dimensional and win and right now it is. Downside is that, once again, M cannot get that one first down they frequently need to close out the game. One dimensional is not likely to win games going forward.

This team's offense is limited. It doesn't suck, the playing calling isn't asinine. It is what it is with O'korn. The one thing that sucked from an execution standpoint was the tunnel screen. It got blown up 2X and it did so based on missed blocking assignments. M rushed for 271y and passed for 58 ..... FIFTY EIGHT. Given that, coaches obviously decided to win with defense. They did.

O'Korn has to see the field better. He has to complete some passes. He, once again, locked in to his first read throwing into coverage when there are blindingly wide open guys on the progression that are going to make a big gain on easy, uncontested throws.

That was the most disappointing part of the passing game and I'm not sure it warranted going away from it in the second half. Maybe they had practiced the screens (didn't work) and the quick outs (most went for little gain) and the deep ball just for O'Korn. Get the white board out and coach up O'Korn on the sideline rather than don't throw at all. M has to ..... HAS TO..... convert standard and passing downs and cannot rely on doing that consistently without O'Korn passing within the game plan not necessarily ad-libing.

A great effort by the defense during the entire game and on the goal line stand in OT. Remarkable. Worth mentioning IU had 269 total yards on offense, 141 on penalties. Enough said.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 14, 2017, 03:51 PM.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• BTW, before everyone goes nuts about the officiating, at first glance, Michigan had the advantage in favorable calls (though the refs were horrid for both sides).

The worst one was Long's PI v. Simmi Cobb in the EZ. That's a potential game changer. I get the feeling that most BT refs don't know when to keep the flag in the pocket and when to throw it. In the overall context of any game, that kinda thing is in play. If Liney were still around he'd tell you exactly that.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I'm not sure what's the difference between limited and sucks is, but right now M's offense sucks. End of story. Sucks.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
            This team's offense is limited. It doesn't suck.
            LMAO

Comment

• Analytics tell me that when Bush takes a pre-game shit he plays better than when he doesn't. Extra points if he drank grape Kool-Aid on the day before the game and the shit was green

Oh yeah!

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• We have three more of what looks like pretty easy wins. 8-4 with a bowl loss is the ceiling other than that, so I'll try to enjoy those Rutgers, Minnesota, and Maryland games as much as possible.

Comment

• The only argument against starting Peters or McCaffrey next week is that it's on the road against PSU. Not the right time for baptism by fire for two players who aren't ready for that. I wouldn't have put either in today because of the risk of turnovers on snap/handoff exchanges. But if we were at home next week it's a no-brainer to play whomever between Peters and McCaffrey is more ready.

Comment

• It's interesting-- it was the year three loss at Penn State, in the game where Michigan's secondary couldn't cover anything, that convinced a lot of people that Rich Rodriguez and his staff needed to go. It was a year three loss at Penn State that confirmed that something had gone seriously wrong within Brady Hoke's program. It is year three of Jim Harbaugh's tenure at Michigan. I can only hope this Penn State game is not a similar harbinger of doom.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Penn State could be problematic.
                      That is going to be one ugly beat down. The pedophiles feel so much misplaced righteous anger about Joe Pa not knowing that there was anything wrong with Sandusky playing hide the pickle with young boys in the shower, and the penalties that ensued, that they are on a mission to finish their delusional healing process.

Payback for a 39 point ass whipping in a night game whiteout will be on the menu next Saturday night. Pregame will be filled with excuses about the number of linebackers they were missing that day. That is true, but it had nothing to do with the completely inept performance of the offense against the Michigan defense. I would not be surprised if it is the worst loss in the history of Michigan football. 50 - 0 sounds about right...
                      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• The only argument against starting Peters or McCaffrey next week is that it's on the road against PSU. Not the right time for baptism by fire for two players who aren't ready for that. I wouldn't have put either in today because of the risk of turnovers on snap/handoff exchanges. But if we were at home next week it's a no-brainer to play whomever between Peters and McCaffrey is more ready.

I don't think you burn any red shirts. This team is not a QB away from being a national championship contender.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Rocky:

Penn State won't score with impunity. It'll be a grinder game. M has a lot to defend with PSU. They're way better than IU on offense (and defense). They probably won't need more than 24 and I do think they can do that.

Anyway, I think it's clear at this point why Speight started.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The play calling, and probably play design(mostly in the pass game) is still ass.

Comment

• One bright note: I was saying last season that I liked Higdon the best among the backs. Quick feet, burst, toughness, and he has the ability to make the first tackler miss.

Talent: The Michigan defense is going to fall apart after watching their offense go 3 and out on the first 8 possessions. Barkley will run for 200 yds.
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                                I don't think you burn any red shirts. This team is not a QB away from being a national championship contender.
                                Next year's team has to start winning some fucking rivalry games. Get a QB ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X