No announcement yet.

Michigan @ Indiana, 10/14/17, Noon ET, ABC/ESPN 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just fixed the broadcasts for this game. This game is the noon game for ABC. It's national. Bob Wischusen, Brock Huard, Allison Williams will call the game.

All the noon regional games in the Southeastern region have been farmed out to ESPN. In the mid-west and NE to the BTN and regional/conference networks.

West region games are all later. So, wherever you are, this game will be on your local ABC affiliate.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

How do I feel about the huskers execution this year?

I'm in favor of it.
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Here's what the analytics tell us about the kind of play calling on offense that will be most productive (per Advanced stats as explained in Advanced Stat Match-up at mgo blog):

(1) In the run game, play with four downs in mind.
        (2) Run the ball on passing downs - this mitigates M?s disadvantage in PD Sack Rate, which entails passing the ball on a passing down.
        (3) M has one of it biggest advantages in SD Sack Rate, which suggests that it would be safer for M to pass the ball on a standard down, since the risk of being sacked would be much lower. These metrics bear out that the OL is better at blocking and keeping the quarterback clean on standard downs than it is on passing downs. So a key element to that end will to be feature more play action, and more use of the blocky-catchy types in the form of mobile protection, if not screens and swing passes.

Pretty much what most of us are thinking as a result of our own hot takes and feelings ball - most of which is useless. Still it's nice to know that what most of think M should do - run the ball to protect "Creamed O'Korn" - is backed up by analytics.

At the beginning of the season, I thought this was going to be a difficult game for M to win. After the first four games of the season where M went 4-0 and IU lost to PSU and osu, both of whom have defenses worse than M's, the concern dissipated. Confidence was enhanced by the road win at Purdue, erasing fears that M was a shitty road team based on 2016.

The loss to MSU last weekend and the questionable performance of JOK in his debut jumped up concerns for a win in this game. Early on, Advanced Stats had this as a comfortable win. Now M is favored by 6. That spread could quickly evaporate with turnovers. So, M can't do that.

I don't think there is any question, beyond doubters whose views are based on hot takes and feelings ball, that M's run game is trending up. So, that should be the guiding principal for play calling in this game. Moreover, that M has been wildly more successful with power than with zone running plays, emphasize these.

Don't get frustrated though. M is not likely to get a lot of chunk plays on the ground v. IU's pretty good run defense but it can pick up first downs on the ground when it needs to. That does not mean, O'Korn shouldn't throw the ball. He should but more prominently on standard downs and less so on passing downs. The play calls on those called passes should be of the PA type or roll outs both throwing to Perry or the TEs in the short to middle zones. I'm sure we'll see a deep ball or two to Crawford, DPJ or whoever else might go long but, IMO, those are lighting downs on fire.

Now that I've described to you all an analytics based play-calling approach to this game, feel free to yell at the TV when Drevno or whoever is making the calls doesn't deliver.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Patrick Ramsey vs John O'Korn. How fun to see DEFENSE and PUNTS today.
          Run game, turnovers, and specials teams will determine this old school game. Don't see it happening again, but if O'Korn starts tossing up INTs ... can't wait for McCaffrey / Peters to take the field.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

The offense right now looks like Rodriguez's 2008 fiasco. Only RichRod had a lot more valid excuses for that year than the current staff. Nothing works.

Comment

My kingdom for an accurate QB...

Comment

Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                My kingdom for an accurate QB...
                And a coach who understands the importance of having at least a competent offense to compliment a great defense.

Comment

Too bad they couldn't have scored a TD on that blocked field goal, because the offense sure isn't going to score. So frustrating to watch.

Comment

How hard was that? Just line up and run it between the tackles until the defense overcommits.

Comment

Higdon playing very well. Like the way he runs. Kareem Walker was in earlier today.

Comment

These refs are idiotic.

Comment

Even if you were forced out, since when can you jump from out of bounds to catch a football?

Comment

25 yard punt on Indiana's side of the field. What's the point...

Comment

Hoosiers needed alot of help from officials to get that field goal.

Comment

Maybe, just maybe, clean up the penalties at halftime...

Comment

Working...
                                X