Announcement

Collapse

FORUM POSTING RULES - Read before posting

Forum Rules.

(1) The guiding principle for posting in this forum is moderate yourselves.

(2) Don't write a post that attacks, impugns or denigrates another poster's character. There's an obvious difference between the language of humor and hateful, debased language. Know the difference and post accordingly.

(3) This is a Michigan sports forum. The forum welcomes posts from M's sports rivals. Talking smack, posting sass is what college sports rivalries are all about. Rules (1) and (2) above apply. If you don't want to view the posts of a rival talking smack or sassing, use the ignore feature in User Controls.

(4) This forum is about sharing thoughts, ideas and viewpoints about all sports, any number of subjects and issues, learning stuff from other posters and having fun. There are threads by subject matter within the forum for doing this. Keep the threads on point.

NB: The rules above are not intended to build a case to ban a poster. There are consequences for rule breaking as specified below. That's as far as it should go. Only the most egregious and persistent rule breaking would cause the moderators to consider a ban.

Due Process.

(1) The forum has 6 moderators. Jeff Buchanan, Jon, JD, Hannibal, Oracle, Entropy. None of them want to moderate adult posters who should know better. There may be posts that break the rules.

(2) Posters who, at the sole discretion of a moderator, break a rule will be given a warning post that will site one of the rules listed above as the reason for the deletion.

(3) If the rule breaking behavior continues, a moderator can remove an offending post and any ensuing post that whines about that action. If a moderator removes a post(s) the reason for the removal(s) will be posted with the removal notice that appears in the thread. This should be the end of it. Man up, take responsibility for breaking the rules. The forum moves on. If not, see below.

(4) A poster who has had a warning or a post(s) removed can certify a question by PM to any moderator about that action. Do not complain about the action or attempt to make your case in the forum/threads. Moderators shall do their best to address the question within 72h. At the end of 72h the majority opinion of the moderators responding will be the answer.

(5) Banning a poster for egregious and repeated rule breaking requires a unanimous vote to ban from all 6 moderators. We don't anticipate this will ever happen.
See more
See less

Michigan @ PSU, 10/21/17, 7:30p Eastern, ABC/Stream Watch ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also did not account for 5 Michigan turnovers in that 12-10 M win prediction. That comes in the category of the football gods hating on M

No, it counts in the coach-was-stupid-in-this-case category. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. D'antonio knew better than to be flinging it around like that in the heart of the storm, and that's why he won. Football-gods kinds of plays are the O'Neill punt to end the game vs MSU, or the kind of shit that got Hoke a win against ND in the first night game.

Comment

We were lucky to be in that first MSU game to begin with. The football gods stole away a game that we had no business winning. We got outgained by over 150 yards and we didn't even force a turnover.
      Last edited by Hannibal; October 16th, 2017, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Michigan's defense hasn't faced an above average offense yet and they give up big plays, something that Penn State thrives on. It's a very good defense but it's a flawed one that PSU is tailor-made to expose. They won't ring up the scoreboard but they'll probably get over 12 possessions and they'll be able to break 30 against us. I'm thinking a 31-13 type affair. The Nittany Lions will cover easily.

Comment

Ever the Optimigos! Think about it... O'Korn. Happy Valley. White Out. Saquon Barkley. Revenge. Analytics be damned! The game ain't played on paper. The horror will be reminiscent of Michigan v.s. Notre Dame 2014: 31 - 0.
          I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

The Giants won in Denver last night with a great D performance. After the Giants lost 4 WRs to injury, people assumed a win for the Broncos ( around -13 in Vegas?). Denver had a bye week to think about the Giants.

Similar to Giants (Michigan) at Broncos (Penn St), a win can happen. Play great D, don’t turn the ball over, and run the ball hopefully with some success. As the Giants used up Engram, perhaps there is one reliable target in the passing game. Throw to Gentry.
            AAL 2018 - Teez Tabor

Comment

Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
              I think M beats Penn State and shocks the world!
              ...and someday AA will have a cogent thought and shock these boards!
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

I have confidence M's defense can contain Penn State unless they are on the field just way way too many minutes (a distinct possibility with this offense).

Run run run the ball when you have possession. Shorten the game. Ball control, a few timely play action passes and this defense could just shock P-U nation.
                Atlanta, GA

Comment

Winning the turnover, big play battle will be needed...

Corners will be tested as will the safeties, DL/LBs will need to get pressure so they don't have time to throw the 15+ yard routes.

Comment

I think M's defense can make life pretty hard on PSU for 3.5 quarters, but without any help from the offense it's easy to imagine they'll wear out at the end. They can't win games by themselves.

Comment

Yup, the offenses very likely 3 and outs (and/or turnovers) are likely to result in:

Short fields, more possessions, and the defense being on the field way too long.. Those things make it far more difficult for the defense to do their job.

Comment

I generally don't find practice week pressers to be very revealing. I think this one with JOK is:

How would you assess your play, especially the last two weeks?

“Yeah, I need to pick it up. There’s no way around it. Definitely not up to my own goals and aspirations. I need to pick it up, simple as that.”

When you say you need to pick it up, what specifically?

“Hit the guys that are open, run when I need to, trust the offensive line. Really just there were a few plays on Saturday where we had guys open. Just need to hit ‘em.”

I have no doubt players read what's posted about them on the web. I'm also confident coaches tell them to not pay any attention to it then go digging for comments about themselves. Human nature.

Brian was really tough on O'Korn in his Monday recap:

So here we are. That's three of four O'Korn games with extended playing time where he's been horrible. I have no idea what happened against Purdue, but if you're asking me to project future performance it's more in line with the last two weeks than the outlier. Teams are now preparing for a guy who's only good when he breaks the pocket, and there goes the efficiency of that gambit.

It's bad, man. It's so bad that Michigan spent half of its dropbacks presenting O'Korn with just two guys—or even one—in a downfield pattern. The interception he threw at a dominated Eddie McDoom was third and seven; Michigan had outside receivers run fades. Nobody else was in a pattern. O'Korn somehow still threw the wrong fade, choosing the 5'11" guy being checked by Indiana's best cornerback. Michigan dumbed down their passing offense to an extraordinary extent in this game, and their quarterback still couldn't keep up.

Game over, man. Game over.

Harsh but fair.

I'm not sure what to feel about John O'Korn. Sympathy? Empathy? Anger? What I do know is that he's a young man (what 22?) trying to do his best and then there is a hypersensitive fanbase - deservedly so after a decade of frustratingly bad M football and now the expectations v. reality of HARBAUGH!!! coming home to roost - throwing rocks at the guy.

Anyway, I like how it appears he responded to questions about his performance that were not soft balls. Kid's got some character.

http://mgoblog.com/content/monday-pr...-16-17-players
                        On Harbaugh's expectations for M football in 2015 (NFL NETWORK): We'd rather be about it than talk about it."

Comment

Well, J.O.K. doesn't have another school to transfer to, so he's stuck at M. Amazingly, he's playing. IMO, that's a terrifying comment on Peters.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

I don't think we know the whole story on Peters. Just my gut feeling.

O'Korn is from Pennsylvania and wanted to play for PSU. His family are life long PSU supporters. When Hackenberg committed, PSU was not going to take 2 QBs so O'Korn looked elsewhere and ended up at Houston.

So, playing this Saturday in HV is a bit of a homecoming for John. Makes the game personal I would think.

I'll be a huge JOK fan Saturday night regardless of his performance and the outcome. He had a decent game v. Purdue. Maybe because it was personal - like that game was for him playing against the team that hired the coach that benched him at Houston.
                            On Harbaugh's expectations for M football in 2015 (NFL NETWORK): We'd rather be about it than talk about it."

Comment

Can that be measured by analytics? ^
                              Atlanta, GA

Comment

Heh ..... feelings ball has it's place.

The analytics on JOK though ...... THAT IS frightening.

Comment

Working...
                                X