• Show
Clear All

• Hudson with 6 1/2 tackles for loss

Comment

• good catch

Comment

• Just run this clock out gophers

Comment

• YES!!! Kinnel knocks it loose!! Good thing he didn't get ejected!!

Comment

• "he just blamed the QB for hitting the guy in the hands"

Comment

• Any good PAC 12 games on, or are they over?

Comment

• SC Arizona

Comment

• Rich Rod vs SC already down 21-3

Comment

• What about this hyped up qb at Arizona? Hasn't shown much against USC.

Comment

• jesus what a clown show by the officials, only thing keeping this game from a total blowout

Comment

• fuckin refs
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Maybe the most miserable tailgating weather I've ever experienced. Forecast was for light rain after 5p. The heavens opened around 4:10p. It rained HARD, really hard. There was a cold NE wind with wind chill in the upper 30s and a few minutes of hail the size of peas. Thunder and lighting galore. We had several tents set up. After 45 minutes, most people in the lot we tailgate in - probably 50 or so - were under them.

The game, already way too late for my tastes was delayed for an hour. This was a bad storm and the 3h delay in East Lansing that has been questioned by some, was understandable. Game weather was OK and not a factor. Still it was damp and hard to stay dry and comfortable despite being well dressed.

Surprising number of stalwart fans actually filled the stadium with a fabricated crowd announced as 111,000 something. At kick-off, the student section was maybe 1/2 full, so, the BS attendance announcements continue unabated.

By 10:30 with M up 27 - 7, all I wanted was the damn thing to be over. It was boring after 60+ yard TD runs by Evans and Higdon became the norm. Previews noted that Minnesota's Ss were bad. They were more than that and I'd have to say that the Gopher's plan to stack the box thinking those safety guys were going to help out was a bad one. I can count at least 6 runs of over 10 yards where the Ss missed tackles hugely - part of that had to do with M's OL repeatedly getting to the 2nd level to take out LBs. All of the long runs by Evans and Higdon were a result of the Ss missing or taking bad angles in pursuit and this without a passing game. I actually think Rutgers D was better - a lot better. M isn't going to see this kind of clubbing happen v. Wisky and osu and probably not v. Maryland next week. Michigan is not Army or Airforce who can win without passing, something AF didn't do this weekend but Army did.

M's first scoring drive appeared to be completely scripted and well practiced. Peters was 4/4 on that drive and after that Harbaugh put that kind of drive that produced a nice rhythm with power, sweeps and passes in the tool box for another day. Boring.

Peters was 8/13 on 56 passing yards and a meager 7ypa. Aside from the first drive he looked average but then again, Harbaugh elected to club Minnesota and that was probably the right thing to do given how bad the Gopher run D appeared to be. The clubbing produced 374y and almost two 200y rushers.

Peters did have some rough looking throws and he got sacked 2X, one a maddening blitz from the edge that JBB and Ruiz (starting at RG) completely missed allowing a blind side hit on Peters that looked like it knocked him out.

He laid limply on the field for a heart stopping minute or so. What pissed me off the most was that the play calling after the first scoring drive was putting him at risk by asking him to predictably throw on third and long with a previously demonstrated capacity of the Minnesota D to effectively get free pass rushers off poorly picked-up edge and CB blitzes. Not all of them hit home, but this was blitheringly obvious. Why put your starting Freshman QB that has no competent back-up at risk? Throw more on standard downs.

Nordin's fast start has come to a screeching halt. He missed an EP, his second in the last two games, and a longish 49y FG that had plenty of leg but missed wide right. This is not encouraging because M is going to need him. There is this unsubstantiated rumor that's been floating around for two weeks that he's injured. Either way, its not good.

Aside from Minnesota's terrible run defense that might make M's run game look a lot better than it is, Higdon and Evans looked stunningly competent hitting holes and accelerating through them, bouncing outside when needed and demonstrating plenty of wiggle, especially Evans. I'm not taking anything away from Higdon who runs with a ton of power. Glad to see Evans have a break-out sort of game. Good on him for hanging in there and competing. Isaac was a DNP; Samuels got a couple of runs late.

What really concerns me is that this M run game that has flowered against two teams, Rutgers then Minnesota, with feeble run defenses, is going to disappear when Harbaugh tries to dial it up absent a competent well practiced passing game from Peters. Couple that with an OL , on both sides and in the middle that is susceptible to giving up free rushers and you've got trouble.

In case you haven't seen this, M has not had a RB with BTB 200 yard games since Rob Lytel in 1975.
                          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I think the officiating issues in the BIG are real if not over-blown.

IMO, the ejection of the two players after a bit of a scrum was precipitated by their failure to flag some questionable goings on with late hits, face mask tackles and eye gouging (called hands to the face) during the game.

Holding by the OL is not getting called and I'm sorta happy about that except the pendulum has swung too far to the don't call it side.

M seemingly gets a lot of penalties, out of proportion to their opponents during a game but they also play aggressively on D, are coached that way and so, there shouldn't be any whining. They get away with alot more than they get flagged for.

As well, the stuff on offense or on the kick/punt returns is young guys doing stupid things.

Bottom line, play the game and don't worry about it ..... and I think the players do. Fans make way more of it than is necessary or justified. Among conferences and in 2017 games that I've seen around CFB though, the BIG has less refereeing competence/consistency than other conferences. YMMV.
                            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I'm not going to read all that. I'll wait until the analytics tell me what really happened...
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Heh .... you're missing the embedded prose. Sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X