No announcement yet.

Michigan @ Wisconsin, Noon, 11/18, Fox/Stream FoxGo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing. What I mean is Harbaugh's record in his UM tenure.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul daugherity View Post
      Tell Harbaugh that he's got to figure it out, and that if that means getting rid of people- do it. Just so he knows that coasting and doing what he's done is not ok or business as usual.
      I’m not sure the word “coasting” has ever defined Jim Harbaugh.

The results have been terrible, but I’m not sure what more you can ask him to do. It’s just the new reality that Michigan is not in a position to succeed anymore. In state talent has never been great, they can’t poach the explosive skill guys out of state like they used to, and apparently nobody that can throw a football or block for a guy that can throw a football wants anything to do with Michigan.

Maybe McCaffery will be different. I’m not sure he will, or that he’ll survive behind our wet paper bag of a pocket.
      Last edited by Kstat; November 18, 2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Gee, if Brown wasn’t able to replace 10 starters to create the best defense in a decade, I would think the situation was hopeless in Ann Arbor.

But I guess that makes the offensive cruelty all that much more perplexing.

Comment

• Well that was predictable. Next week will be ugly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
            I?m not sure the word ?coasting? has ever defined Jim Harbaugh.

The results have been terrible, but I?m not sure what more you can ask him to do. It?s just the new reality that Michigan is not in a position to succeed anymore. In state talent has never been great, they can?t poach the explosive skill guys out of state like they used to, and apparently nobody that can throw a football or block for a guy that can throw a football wants anything to do with Michigan.

Maybe McCaffery will be different. I?m not sure he will, or that he?ll survive behind our wet paper bag of a pocket.
            Couldn't disagree more. Harbaugh is clearly not the coach he was hyped to be. If he was an elite coach we'd be competing for a B10 championship by now. His record now against elite teams is no better than Brady Hoke. That is simply unacceptable.

Comment

• 8-4 ..... the loss to Wisconsin was expected. The outcome in Madison should be no surprise. When M, with a likely start at QB by JOK, loses to osu in AA next weekend, that shouldn't surprise any one either. osu is, by every measureable, is better than M.

NB: I'm pretty sure Peters was concussed. By everything I saw the staff doing to him on the field it didn't look like he had a spine, joint or limb injury. Replay showed his head bouncing hard off the artificial Field Turf which in Camp Randal is 5 years old. It's rock hard at that point losing almost all of it's designed cushioning. I don't expect him to play next week based on how Hill was handled by the team.

I also don't expect Speight to get pushed into playing. I could be wrong but M is going to the Holiday Bowl at 8-4. Let JOK play. Don't risk another injury to Speight with the state of the OL.

This game was competitive until 3:31 in the 3rd after Tyree Kinnel committed a pass interference penalty on second-and-14. Following that play, Hornibrook finds A.J. Taylor for a 51-yard bomb on third-and-13. Then Hornibrook and Taylor connect for a 19-yard score on third-and-11 to make it 14 - 10 Wisconsin.

At 2:06 left in the third Wisconsin LB Van Ginkle drills Peters and knocks him out of the game. Things will not improve with John O'Korn under center.

Brown's pressure defense can be correctly assessed as prone to giving up big plays like the 58 yarder that Jonathan Taylor picked up after being held to under 90. This wasn't Brown's fault. Devon Bush took a step to the right instead of maintaining gap integrity and the Ss flowed in that direction as well. A lane opens and Taylor is gone.

We can go back in this game and identify 2-3 key plays that delivered the win for Wisconsin. This is one of them: Danny Davis makes a gorgeous one-handed catch covered perfectly by Brandon Watson, off a third-and-8 Hornibrook pass to M's 19. That's one of those great plays that wins games. If it's incomplete Wisconsin punts to M leading by 4.

Forget that ..... what happens next is a picture-perfect, probably designed by Cryst just for this down and distance, end around by Pryor. M's D got had, it happens, and after looking completely lost offensively, Wisconsin has driven 77 and 61 yards for two touchdowns in its last two possessions. Game over.

My big picture view is that M's OL woes going back to the start of the Harbaugh era are at the heart of Michigan football's problems under JH. While I think the staff mishandled OL recruiting in 2015 and it's come back to haunt them, overall, I'm not going to bitch about being too conservative, shitty play calling and all that kind of stuff.

How the OL has developed given the basic ingredients to start with limited what M could do offensively. You have to give credit for how the rushing offense developed after it was clear that any kind of passing offense opened up Peters to injury. Without naming the kids playing on the OL or describing in detail how it happened, two QBs were lost. The case for the weak link in M's football team has been beaten to death; if you don't understand it or see how it fundamentally limited M's ability to produce wins this season, you're not paying attention.

To end on a high note, It was pretty clear that M came to play Wisconsin. I thought the play calling was good and took advantage of what Peters does well. There were plenty of long balls, one of them made on a big play so, I don't get the comments up thread about shitty play calling. I thought there was a good game plan on both sides of the ball as it played out through the late 3rd. M moved the ball on Wisconsin's defense, Peters hit some nice throws and M's defense did a good job v. Wisconsin's O. If you didn't like what you were seeing in the first half and the early part of the third then you weren't seeing the positives in the context about what we know about it after 10 games. O'Korn's first play was a completed pass. His next throw was decent to Gentry who got drilled and dropped it. There was plenty of passing/risk taking.

On to The Game. I'll be in the stadium ...... burrrrr...... and I'd be remiss if I didn't add that if M somehow dials up a win v. osu, everyone complaining will have that part of their memory wiped clean.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 18, 2017, 04:51 PM.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by maxreturn View Post
                Couldn't disagree more. Harbaugh is clearly not the coach he was hyped to be. If he was an elite coach we'd be competing for a B10 championship by now. His record now against elite teams is no better than Brady Hoke. That is simply unacceptable.
                Replace him with pretty much anyone and I’m not sure the record would be much better. They’ve poured an absurd amount of money into this program and it’s having no effect. Harbaugh has had unquestioned support within the program and it’s having no effect.

It may just be time to adjust expectations and accept this is just what Michigan is. They can’t recruit enough talent on offense to compete, most notably at QB. It’s not an elite program anymore.
                Last edited by Kstat; November 18, 2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul daugherity View Post
                  8-4 was expected, but seeing how it played out is what was so frustrating. A loss at home to MSU. An offense that looked incompetent and incapable all year. Blowout loss to PSU. No wins against a team with a pulse. It's been very tough to watch.
                  Not only that but as the defense is not as good as advertised. They have the talent, but lack the consistency. Two consecutive touchdown drives by UW when they couldn't move the football all afternoon.

Comment

• Those of you who need to go to the garden and eat worms should just do it already.

Comment

Replace him with pretty much anyone and I?m not sure the record would be much better. They?ve poured an absurd amount of money into this program and it?s having no effect. Harbaugh has had unquestioned support within the program and it?s having no effect.

It may just be time to adjust expectations and accept this is just what Michigan is. They can?t recruit enough talent on offense to compete, most notably at QB. It?s not an elite program anymore.
                      On this point I agree with you. This is the new norm. I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I long for the days of Lloyd Carr. LOL.

Comment

I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I long for the days of Lloyd Carr. LOL.
                        Why, so M could lose more big games/ to Ohio St?
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Replace him with pretty much anyone and I?m not sure the record would be much better. They?ve poured an absurd amount of money into this program and it?s having no effect. Harbaugh has had unquestioned support within the program and it?s having no effect.

It may just be time to adjust expectations and accept this is just what Michigan is. They can?t recruit enough talent on offense to compete, most notably at QB. It?s not an elite program anymore.

stupid

Harbaugh has recruited as well as any school other than oLIEo or Alabama with M

Need a QB to step up and some O linemen to pan out.
                          Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
                            stupid

Harbaugh has recruited as well as any school other than oLIEo or Alabama with M

Need a QB to step up and some O linemen to pan out.
                            Yep.
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Not only that but as the defense is not as good as advertised. They have the talent, but lack the consistency. Two consecutive touchdown drives by UW when they couldn't move the football all afternoon.

Wisconsin has the superior defense. The only thing Michigan is better than them at is signing day hoopla.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                                Why, so M could lose more big games/ to Ohio St?
                                At least Lloyd could get them in the position to compete for the B10 title.

Comment

Working...
                                X