Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE GAME 17-MICHIGAN vs osu:Last Call for Saving the Season or Another Round of Pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE GAME 17-MICHIGAN vs osu:Last Call for Saving the Season or Another Round of Pain?

I've no clue who our QB is but...GO BLUE!

With O'Korn likely starting, this will move M's record to 1-13 vs Ohio St since 2004?
    Hard to call this game a rivalry for anyone that was born in the 90s or later. More like "predictable slaughter fest."

Whatever, 2018 should be a bounce back year.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

OSU 38
      UM 3

Won't be watching it anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
        OSU 38
        UM 3

Won't be watching it anyways.
        It's not going to be that bad but it is not likely to be good either.

For starters, I don't like any of the match-ups that involve M's offense. osu will play it's Ss up essentially negating any M running game. The injuries to Higdon and Isaac add more negatives to the run game.

JOK throwing, esp when he has time to reflect upon the almost certain fact that he is starting is going to expose the OL, again, causing him to break the pocket and improvise. That never goes well for him.

The defense will do fine but will tire mid-third quarter after all the predicable three and outs. I worry that they will go in knowing this and it very well might happen a lot earlier than that.

STs also fine but either osu or M is going to get a big play and who that team is just isn't' predictable. Same for turnovers. Once again, M is going to have to be +2 at a minimum and even then, jtb has shown he can overcome bad plays and dial up some kind of game winning mojo.

Someone wrote a decent comment elsewhere that this team lacks the confidence to truly overcome adversity. Players and coaches talk about it but results on the field belie that talk. Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not criticizing anyone.

I can say with some certainty that a loss of confidence in oneself and teammates after losing games like this team has lost in 2017 is a rather common and predictable outcome. This is especially true when 18-20yo's are involved. It takes a long time and a lot of mistakes made to learn how to persevere. It's been said that Bo's, Moeller's and the early Carr teams developed this important behavioral characteristic. This team and it's coaches aren't there yet but if they stick it out, they will be.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

...... one more comment: say what you will about power football or man-ball at the CFB level. While I'm willing to concede that this is a much more difficult offensive scheme to run well than others that are available, it can be run. It takes a long time to recruit and develop players in a system that runs this offense to both provide excellent starters and depth sufficient to sustain the team in the event of injuries...... and never mind that the QB, and I don't care what system you're running, is a game changer with respect to success or failure.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

There's something to that, Buchanan. I certainly don't think M will quit, but if OSU can get a quick score or two against M, then it could be really bad. Conversely, if they get into the game then it'll go a lot like Saturday with M having every opportunity to win.

I'm still remarkably uncomfortable with OSU's offense. So, I tend more toward a grinding game.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

URBAN!!! 27 HARBAUGH!!! 9
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

I think M showing up at Camp Randall and first on offense and having Peters throw the ball around, make a couple of plays and then get in a rhythm took Cryst by surprise. It was effective.

There is no reason for ufm to play it safe with M on osu's first possession. The reason for that is Harbaugh won't be doing that even with O'Korn. M has nothing to lose, osu clearly does. Being timid will play right into M's hands.

I seriously doubt that even if M somehow gets out in front, osu just has too many tools in the garage to bounce back. M has a couple of broken down, poorly running '60s Edsels one of which has a flat tire.

Comment

No Paul Chryst friendship take-the-foot-off-the-pedal mercy in this one. Urban will be smirking and dancing in Ann Arbor once again. He may even pull out his my-wife-called-for-milk joke again. Another group of seniors go out in humiliating defeat to what used to be their biggest rival. Michigan currently has no rival. There are teams they beat consistently - Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana, etc., and there are teams that beat them consistently - MSU, OSU, Wisconsin, etc.
                  I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Appy State too
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

To quote Clubber Lang: “My prediction? Pain.”

Comment

My prediction:

STFU
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

I like the comments so far here but what will happen is unadvoidable. The team will be mentally beat before the game starts. Its unfortunate in such a rival game as this but I'm sure their mentallity is to somehow keep the game respectable for as long as they can.

Comment

This is a game I wish UM had some very mobile qb as a secret weapon they could use and change the whole insipid offense we've seen all year. Come out with just the possibility of some misdirection plays and option plays they could add to their stiflingly boring play book

I'm sure they plays they set up look real good in meetings and on chalk boards but will not work in real life without an elite qb and or great OL.

Comment

Originally posted by klondike View Post
                              This is a game I wish UM had some very mobile qb as a secret weapon they could use and change the whole insipid offense we've seen all year. Come out with just the possibility of some misdirection plays and option plays they could add to their stiflingly boring play book

I'm sure they plays they set up look real good in meetings and on chalk boards but will not work in real life without an elite qb and or great OL.
                              Well, can't change the offensive system the team has been playing for three years in a week. I don't agree with the "insipid" characterization either.

Even in the long term, JH knows power offenses and fundamentally that's what he's going to run. He's recruited some quality pro-style QBs and that insures the offense is going to look pretty much like it looks now for the next 6y, probably more.

My view is that there is nothing wrong conceptually with Harbaughffense but it's not going to work well with QBs that aren't proficient at running it or offensive linemen who can't consistently execute it well. It's pretty simple really.

No question at the college level there are other options for offenses and if the pro-style/power offense was the best one, most teams would be running it. They're not. The most likely reason is that spready offenses fit better with what kids play in HS, lend themselves better to the time allowed to develop player proficiency in them and are more plug and play than pro-style/power offenses are.

I've made this point elsewhere but it appears to me that it takes a long pipeline and time to develop player proficiency and team depth. Building that, however, is essential to fuel an efficient pro-style offense.

Clearly fans lack the patience to build it and there is more complaints about making excuses by those that aren't patient directed at those that are willing to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X