Announcement

Collapse

FORUM POSTING RULES - Read before posting

Forum Rules.

(1) The guiding principle for posting in this forum is moderate yourselves.

(2) Don't write a post that attacks, impugns or denigrates another poster's character. There's an obvious difference between the language of humor and hateful, debased language. Know the difference and post accordingly.

(3) This is a Michigan sports forum. The forum welcomes posts from M's sports rivals. Talking smack, posting sass is what college sports rivalries are all about. Rules (1) and (2) above apply. If you don't want to view the posts of a rival talking smack or sassing, use the ignore feature in User Controls.

(4) This forum is about sharing thoughts, ideas and viewpoints about all sports, any number of subjects and issues, learning stuff from other posters and having fun. There are threads by subject matter within the forum for doing this. Keep the threads on point.

NB: The rules above are not intended to build a case to ban a poster. There are consequences for rule breaking as specified below. That's as far as it should go. Only the most egregious and persistent rule breaking would cause the moderators to consider a ban.

Due Process.

(1) The forum has 6 moderators. Jeff Buchanan, Jon, JD, Hannibal, Oracle, Entropy. None of them want to moderate adult posters who should know better. There may be posts that break the rules.

(2) Posters who, at the sole discretion of a moderator, break a rule will be given a warning post that will site one of the rules listed above as the reason for the deletion.

(3) If the rule breaking behavior continues, a moderator can remove an offending post and any ensuing post that whines about that action. If a moderator removes a post(s) the reason for the removal(s) will be posted with the removal notice that appears in the thread. This should be the end of it. Man up, take responsibility for breaking the rules. The forum moves on. If not, see below.

(4) A poster who has had a warning or a post(s) removed can certify a question by PM to any moderator about that action. Do not complain about the action or attempt to make your case in the forum/threads. Moderators shall do their best to address the question within 72h. At the end of 72h the majority opinion of the moderators responding will be the answer.

(5) Banning a poster for egregious and repeated rule breaking requires a unanimous vote to ban from all 6 moderators. We don't anticipate this will ever happen.
See more
See less

Michigan v. South Carolina, Outback Bowl, Tampa, FL, 01/01/18, Noon, ?ESPN2 (TBD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't watch the Detroit Lions on tv when they played at home either.
    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

I can't watch the Lions on TV even when they're on TV.

Comment

Yesterday was a hard watch or funny depending on your POV.

Comment

So pivotal for these 6-6 teams to understand the achievement they had...

or basically

A lot of these bowl games are on weekdays where it can be overstated that it “helps the community” with tourists. It’s certainly beneficial, but not that much for some of these bowls. The Quick Lane Bowl on a Tuesday for example. But damn, the kids love going to the Idaho Potato Bowl in December.
          Friday night Nickelback concerts... it helps the community!
          AAL 2018 - Teez Tabor

Comment

So what? If the kids have a good time and get a few more weeks of practice then it's a good thing. Silly argument. This isn't the 1970s anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              Yesterday was a hard watch or funny depending on your POV.
              I have no idea. I've been clean for 16 years, basically. I have relapsed less than 5 times in that period, including, of course, the playoff game in which the defense failed to force a punt.

Comment

I have no idea. I've been clean for 16 years, basically. I have relapsed less than 5 times in that period, including, of course, the playoff game in which the defense failed to force a punt.
                You are going to have to be more specific, lol. They always fail to force a punt if it matters.

Comment

The whole game, I meant.

Comment

On Tarik Black (from JH's Teleconference re the OB Bowl:

Just going back, earlier in the season when Tarik [Black] got injured you had mentioned that he might be a go for bowl practices. Wondering if that’s still an option [and] what Tarik Black’s status is?

“Um, you know, there is… I don’t know. I mean, I think there’s a poss—he could probably play. Good possibility he could play in the bowl game but he’s already played in four games this year and right now the rule is that if they’ve only played in four then he could get this year back as a medical redshirt so as I sit here now I’d say Tarik wouldn’t play, that we’ll get the year back. ........but Tarik, if he does play in this game, then that would burn a redshirt year, so right now I’m leaning toward not doing that."
                    On Harbaugh's expectations for M football in 2015 (NFL NETWORK): We'd rather be about it than talk about it."

Comment

Good. Don't care about this friggin' game anyway. No quarterback = no win.
                      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

I'm going. You should too, Rocky.:D
                        On Harbaugh's expectations for M football in 2015 (NFL NETWORK): We'd rather be about it than talk about it."

Comment

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          The teams from the Sunbelt, Conference USA, MAC etc etc are excited over their games.
                          I don't know about that. The attendance for those pre-Christmas bowls is usually awful, and the programs often lose money attending them because they have to eat a lot of their tickets.

I think that we are in the early phase of a transition from the old bowl system to a pure playoff format where the bowls are either entirely eliminated or they are relegated to official "NIT" status. Now that the bowls are simply defined by their sponsor and by their corporate names, they have lost most of their charm. The final dagger will be when the playoff goes to 16 teams. Nobody will miss that great New Year's tradition of watching the Outback Bowl to see if the right team wins for you to get a free bloomin' onion.
                          Last edited by Hannibal; December 4th, 2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                            On Tarik Black (from JH's Teleconference re the OB Bowl:

If Black can't go then he can't go, but preserving a redshirt for him would be dumb since he's probably not going to stick around for five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                              I don't know about that. The attendance for those pre-Christmas bowls is usually awful, and the programs often lose money attending them because they have to eat a lot of their tickets.

I think that we are in the early phase of a transition from the old bowl system to a pure playoff format where the bowls are either entirely eliminated or they are relegated to official "NIT" status. Now that the bowls are simply defined by their sponsor and by their corporate names, they have lost most of their charm. The final dagger will be when the playoff goes to 16 teams. Nobody will miss that great New Year's tradition of watching the Outback Bowl to see if the right team wins for you to get a free bloomin' onion.
                              This is a good point ...... the participating universities are getting played by the lower tier/before Xmas bowls.

I do think the positives of bowl participation for the players and teams are great but I can't say with certainty that these overcome the negatives, like this one.

I don't think we're anywhere near going to a 8 or 16 game play-off format. The SEC is sitting fat right where the system has taken them and they are in the cat bird seat.

The BIG under Delaney's leadership, esp. in recent years, has been too accommodating of the SEC. I seem to remember something about 5-6y ago where the PAC12 and BIG joined forces to pressure the SEC under Mike Slive for something and then backed down. Can't remember details.

What the BIG needs is somebody with Schembechler's personality to take charge and start spitting out pieces of the SEC after he's chewed on them for a while.

Comment

As much as the fans care, Delaney cares about the bottom line. Kind of the same thing with the Pac 12. You don't see the SEC with two major TV deals with seperate networks. If losing the odd spot in the CFP actually hurt the bottom line, you would see a big response.

Comment

Working...
                                X