No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 139, 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Biggers reported on his podcast tonight Mayfield - 'Yes Might Start ?' vs ND...Not a good sign.

Comment

• Most of the speculation on Mayfield is coming from Yoder at ChatSports. He makes stuff up or quotes things from 247. He's not reliable. This morning, from reading around, I don't think it is clear who will start at the tackles positions. At some point this summer, Warriner was quoted as saying, Runyan was a lock for one of OT position. Another reliable poster notes that the young guys, namely Hudson and Mayfield, have been getting snaps with the ones. Gary has been quoted as saying he's lined up against Mayfield. The general consensus seems to be that Hudson and Mayfield are getting looks and it's Warriner's MO to move guys around a lot at different positions but it's more likely that Runyan and JBB will start. For me, I don't think we are going to know who starts until we see the numbers playing OT at the first offensive snap in SB. JMO.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• JBB, Runyan appear starters at tackle (they are flipping back and forth)... Hudson is getting high praise, and is starting to receive first team snaps...

Only thing I've heard about Mayfield is from that same suspect source. Steuber received some praise last season and this spring but haven't really heard much recently.

Comment

• Comment

• Tonight at 10PM BTN

Comment

• Comment

• and a sigh of relief I might add

Comment

• What you're saying is the replacement shoes shipped in time for the "inventory".

Well done. That's the spirit.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Damn, can't get anything past those SEC guys. They know all the tricks.
                    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Exactly.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Everyone is reading all kinds of bizarre and overly analytic shit into Dave Revsin's tweets about M's practice on Monday (The BTN was in town doing their fall camps thing). JH also had a semi-presser where he answered questions after yesterdays practice.

The most creative analysis was of a single clip of Shea Patterson throwing a pass to Zach Gentry.

Then there is the discussion about the OL and trying to figure out who's starting at RG (Owenu or ?) and the OT positions - Runyan played almost exclusively at the LT position in portions of practice that were observed and commented on by Revsin and others who claim to have seen the practice. The RT position seemed up for grabs with Mayfield in there an awful lot for a Freshman.

Sane comments were: With the exception of Bredeson at G and Ruiz at C, we won't know who is starting on the OL and where until the first offensive snap v. ND. Have your programs and/or rosters at the ready when that game airs.

Also, Harbaugh is attributed as saying he would like to name a starting QB sooner rather than later. If I were him, I wouldn't do that until game time. His only comment about the QBs was that the competition has been really good and because of that, all of them are playing better. No shit Sherlock.
                        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• What's the offense going to look like in 2018? That's been a question for me and one that is tough to answer but recent player interviews have shed some light on that question. This one is from this week's WolverineWire interview of John Runyan (link below).

I don't think the stylistic change Runyan seems to refer to should be a surprise. I also don't think that Harbuagh looks back on the last 3 years and says, what I was doing offensively wasn't working and we'll be changing up in 2018. I think Harbaugh came in and offensively did what worked for Wilton Speight in 2016. i.e., he fashioned the offense around Speight's skill set. If you watch film of Peters, McCaffrey and Milton in HS, all of these guys played a good deal of what I'd call pistol or WCO at the HS level. Patterson is the epitomy of a QB in that style of offense.

So, if we see a lot more spread formations and QBs operating out of the shot gun v. ND, I'd call that evolutionary, not revolutionary and a reflection of fitting the offense around the skill sets of the QBs on the roster. I'd also say that like most of the good CFB coaches you either evolve year to year or you're not going to be competative.

This isn't predicting M is going to roll on offense in 2018 and especially v. ND. It's new stuff and the players on offense are essentially the same as those who played in 2017. There's going to be a break in period and M could look like shit out of the gate. If that happens and M lays in egg in SB in 2 weeks, you'll not find me predicting doom.

https://wolverineswire.com/2018/08/1...018-fall-camp/
                          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 15, 2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Wow, Shea Patterson is listed at 6.2 ... there is no way after watching practice, he is short. Very quick release though (he will need it), he's going to be running for his life. But with our stout D im very confident we can make it to a NYD Bowl game... (with a little luck)

Comment

• They are going to need to beat good teams, on the road to boot...

They play five games vs teams ranked in ESPN'S top 13 in the regular season.

Comment

• On the recruiting thread, Wm Wolverine wrote "Trust the coaches, trust the coaches, trust the coaches". And that's a big part of the fan experience. It's a lot more fun being a fan when you trust the coaches. At this point in his tenure, I'm a big Harbaugh fan as I mentioned on that other thread.

I'm not sure what his weakness is, at this point. I think he overdoes the secrecy some by not talking about injuries and refusing to let us fans know what is going on in that regard. I'd like to see him prepare backup QBs better, by giving the next in line more reps during games. I'd like to see him open up the offense a bit, as opposed to the Schembechler manball approach. He could show a bit more humility in his interactions with the press and public.

On the plus side, he's made some good hiring choices. He's willing to try different things on the offensive side of the ball. He's an effective showman in a position which has a large public relations component. He thinks outside the box in terms of student development (Paris, Rome) and program development (camps). He's a Michigan graduate and therefore convincing as someone who is more than just a hired hand (Urban Meier also does well in this category, I guess), but rather someone who appreciates the Michigan football tradition. He loves his job.

So that's why I'm enthusiastic about the coming season...

Comment

Working...
                                X