No announcement yet.

U of M MEN'S BASKETBALL: 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo goes to the Lakers. He's got a bit of lalaland in him, I guess. Congrats, Mo.

Comment

• Hell yes.

Comment

• This could either be considered recruiting news (since he won't be able to play this season) or season news, as he will be allowed to practice and play on the scout team. Either way, Michigan got a preferred walk-on transfer yesterday in 6'10" big man Jaron Faulds. He played for Columbia University as a Freshman last year and was thought of by some to be the 6th best Senior in state, back in 2017. 247's composite had him #322 in the country. Hey, they had MAAR at #434 in 2014!

He averaged 4.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1 block per game in 14.2 minutes. Against Villanova, he had 7 points on 3-4 shooting and against Penn State, he had 6 points (3-6 FG), 3 boards and a block. His best scoring game came against Albany, when he shot 8-10 from the floor for 17 points. He's a traditional big who didn't shoot a 3 the whole year. From the highlights I saw, he's all about the baby-hook in the paint. Think of a poor-man's Aron Baynes, prior to his 3-point shooting with Boston.

A total no-risk, possible reward player.

Comment

• Updated heights, weights, and uniform numbers:
          Michigan published its 2018-19 basketball roster today with updated heights, weights and numbers for the upcoming season. The tallest player in the freshman class is big man Colin Castleton, who is listed at 6-foot-11, 210 pounds. Brandon Johns Jr. is the heaviest incoming freshman at 6-foot-8, 225 pounds. Freshman forward Ignas Brazdeikis checks in at […]

Comment

• Link still loading but I'm irked already.

Comment

• OK this is fine. I'm only *almost* sick of zero. Definitely not as overdone as 5. I approve of 11; 23 isn't offensive. 13 could have gotten a year off.

Castleton's weight is a bit of a disappointment. He was listed at 215 previously in the recruiting profiles. Anyhoo, small LOL at this Very Useful Information, which reminds me of my kid's quarterly power-point homework assignments. Those are also collections of rankings in prose.

The tallest player in the freshman class is big man Colin Castleton, who is listed at 6-foot-11, 210 pounds. Brandon Johns Jr. is the heaviest incoming freshman at 6-foot-8, 225 pounds. Freshman forward Ignas Brazdeikis checks in at 6-foot-7, 215 pounds with sharpshooter Adrien Nunez at 6-foot-6, 205-pounds. Freshman point guard David DeJulius is listed at 6-foot and 190 pounds.

Comment

• I would guess Camp Sanderson can put 10 pounds on Castleton before the season starts. He'll still be looking something like Eric Riley did as a redshirt Freshman and maybe he'll be reshirting himself. We'll see. I think his talent may garner him some minutes. I could also see Livers being a back-up C (or even Johns?) with a small-ball line-up. Johns, Iggy, Matthews, Poole and X would be a super-athletic squad.

Comment

• It would be nice to see if Livers could do that, but is hard to imagine.

Comment

• I think livers or johns will definitely play some 5, JB even said as much. Probably depends on Davis or Castleton being ready. He also said Iggy will play some 2, which I find hard to believe, defensively at least.

Comment

• Really he said that? If Livers can hold up there when Teske's out that's friggin awesome. He'll need to be camper of the year at Camp Sanderson tho.

Comment

• He did, I'll try to dig it up when I get time. A month or 2 back.

Comment

• Trust but verify.

Comment

• Castleton at 226.8 per Sanderson on twitter today.

Comment

• Beilein had double bypass surgery today. Reportedly he's fine but will miss the Europe trip.

John Beilein underwent a scheduled double bypass procedure and will miss Michigan’s trip to Spain later this month. Michigan will be touring Spain from August 17th through 26th and will play three exhibition games overseas. Assistant coach Saddi Washington will serve as interim head coach during Michigan’s trip overseas. Beilein is expected to be “fully active” […]

Comment

• Haven't listened to mgoblog podcast preview just yet, but THIS IS THE YEAR. Junior PG with a soph backing him -- that's a lot of PG experience for a Beilein team these days. I'm confident Z's going to be a 37%+ shooter from 3 -- nobody's taking that kid's minutes. He knows what he has to do, and has shown he can shoot very well from 3 in the low-stakes December/January portion of the season. Matthews will come back with a better 3 too, and a more rounded game. We'll see if he can vary his tendencies that the conference knew really well last year. Between Matthews and Poole and Iggy, there are three get-you-some-buckets-when-the-offense can't guys, which is good because the offense isn't going to be smooth. Teske is ready to anchor an elite defense, set picks, and hopefully nail elbow jumpers. Livers isn't chopped, either. Could come back ready to rebound and spot up. I'll not be surprised if Beilein can't resist getting Castleton out there.

Beilein has had plenty of time to figure out how to get all this done without the Mo pick/roll. Michigan fell apart without some sort of 1/5 p/r three years ago, but Teske isn't Donnal. It may be a somewhat constipated offense with less shooting than Beilein wants and more one-on-one ability than he's had in the past, but that's going to be enough, given the defense potential.

I'm going to be very disappointed if Michigan doesn't come in expecting to be heavy favorites in almost every game of the season. This is the year to stop being the catch-a-fire underdog nobody wants to play. Could be the last year people just assume MSU will be better than us, and it looks like the conference is going to be worse than last year, even. I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but this might be one of those years where you get a 4-loss team or less. Must get the double-bye in the conference tournament; must get a high seed. Must learn from Villanova, who plays a similar game on offense but also knows how to bully people around on the court and put fouls on people.

I'M REALLY FUCKING EXCITED ABOUT THIS YEAR'S TEAM!
                                Last edited by hack; October 30, 2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X