No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's awesome, I'm sure it was sparked by crack reporter David Farenholdt discovering that Tump has fake Time covers of himself at his golf clubs.

Comment

• Wow, Tillerson is increasingly pissed. Left Exxon for this bullshit. Gets told who he can and cannot hire by sycophants in the White House after being promised autonomy.

Comment

• “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• It's a double feature, he sucks as a secretary and is being hamstrung.

Comment

• More on the Tillerson/Kushner feud

Comment

• Boy, Google is really taking it up the ass these days. First, from the EU in a blatant and outrageous money grab and then from Canada in an ass-stupid decision.

I guess one way to get US companies to keep their assets in the US is to subject those assets to foreign bullshit. Heh. Good stuff.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Of any of the big tech companies Google is the most susceptible to the anti-trust stuff, I could see a suit similar to the Microsoft suit working. Not saying it is right or not, that Microsoft decision was pretty controversial, but some of the same elements are there.

Amazon is scarier though.

Comment

• Heh, well whatever the anti-competitive stuff is in the EU, it's not so in the US. More or less, Google uses it's search engine to promote Google products. I know, stunning. It's fairly obvious, at least to me, that this is EU protectionism. I'd love to see DJT bitchslap those do-nothing, create-nothing technocrat twats, but whatever. He'll be too busy tweeting about something that has nothing to do with actual governance.

The EU decision is expected. Any region can come up with any law it wants to justify theft. That's a risk you run. The Canadian decision is obnoxiously stupid. Google segregates it's services by country -- so, in Canada you have google.ca. The issue was Google indexing websites that sold knock-off goods. Now, the idea that Google is at all liable for this is borderline crazy -- they're tangentially involved at best -- there are actual real parties selling knock-off goods at are actually liable. In the non-internet days it would be akin to holding a landlord liable for leasing warehouse space to such an outfit. Anywho, Canada issue an injunction telling Google you have to de-index all knock-off sites. Ok, it's a stretch, but it's 2017 -- this isn't a warehouse and Google can probably do this without a huge cost. BUT, Google argued it should only apply to it's Google.ca service since, you know, that's what Canadians use. The Court said, nope, it's worldwide. That is preposterous. In other contexts, lots of countries have varying codes of speech and what is or isn't offensive. Under the Canucks' dipshitted reasoning, any of those countries can force Google to remove offensive content WORLDWIDE.

Google sure as shit ain't sympathetic -- and TBH, I smirk at their plight. But whoa.

Comment

• France is trying to get on the start-up train: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/b...T.nav=top-news

I found it relatively interesting with it's look at institutional and cultural barriers to entrepreneurship. I also found it fascinating to look at start-up funding in Europe. It's no surprise the UK is number 1, but what I found interesting is how total shit Germany is. They lag behind Israel!

That said, Europe -- lol -- in 2014 the United States was responsible for well over 50% of venture capital worldwide -- 5x Europe as a whole (and you wonder why Google is kicking your ass). I would expect China to overtake Europe sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Maybe google should just close all operations in Canada. Ball-> home.

That would send a clear message.

Comment

• I don't anything about the Canadian decision so I can't comment on that, but I don't think that European decision is solely a case of protectionism in Europe. Google is pushes the limits of anti-trust law in the US, but it is a matter of the DOJ or FTC pushing the matter. They are a monopoly on search, if they use that to promote their products at the expense of others you do have a case, it's a matter of who's pushing it.

The appetite for anti-trust pursuits has been low and will continue to be low, so they don't have to worry.

Comment

• Maybe google should just close all operations in Canada. Ball-> home.

That would send a clear message.
                          They still make too much money there!
                          I don't think that European decision is solely a case of protectionism in Europe. Google is pushes the limits of anti-trust law in the US, but it is a matter of the DOJ or FTC pushing the matter. They are a monopoly on search, if they use that to promote their products at the expense of others you do have a case, it's a matter of who's pushing it.

The appetite for anti-trust pursuits has been low and will continue to be low, so they don't have to worry.
                          Having worked on several FTC "letters of inquiry", I can tell you there certainly seemed to be a plenty big appetite for it, at least under Oprama.

I'm sure there are other reasons for the EU decision that make it not "solely" a protectionist money grab, but that is the motivating and primary reason, IMO.

Comment

• American companies were in on the EU complaint.

Comment

• So what.

Comment

• Anyway, I don't much weep for Google. And the is EU is going to EU. I actually feel worse for the EU's $14B retroactive tax assessment against Apple. I mean, even Obama's folks thought that was ridiculous.

I'm sure it's all about the EU just being the fair, honorable stalwart we all know it to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X