Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    Your approach is what they are doing, they aren't going to make a big splash in free agency, they will draft 12th. Jackson and Drummond have been on the block and found hardly any takers. The only rumor of note was them getting back Augustin for Jackson.

Maybe they can sign and trade KCP. They are stuck, if you want to be able to trade these assets they need to get better because right now it is a sell low if you can sell at all type of situation.
    No, their approach is to try and squeak into the 8 seed. That's the problem, and what is keeping them in NBA Purgatory. Their approach is to give Drummond and Jackson max (or near max) money because that's their best chance at the 8 seed. I would have let both of them walk and let someone else make that mistake.

The Pistons only chance is to tank and by blind luck stumble on that transcendent player. They aren't smart enough to build on the #9-14 pick like Golden State did.

Comment

• Could use the same idea with Lions and let the stat QB go.
      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
        Could use the same idea with Lions and let the stat QB go.
        Well except for the fact that the Lions don't pull Stafford in the 4th quarter of games because he's a liability.

Comment

• You're correct, that is where useless piled up stats get made.
          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
            No, their approach is to try and squeak into the 8 seed. That's the problem, and what is keeping them in NBA Purgatory. Their approach is to give Drummond and Jackson max (or near max) money because that's their best chance at the 8 seed. I would have let both of them walk and let someone else make that mistake.

The Pistons only chance is to tank and by blind luck stumble on that transcendent player. They aren't smart enough to build on the #9-14 pick like Golden State did.
            I'm talking about their approach for this season, the Jackson and Drummond contracts are sunk costs. I didn't hear you talking about letting them walk, in fact there are no posts saying as much. You didn't say signing those extensions doomed them to an 8 seed. If you were that confident, you would have said as much but you didn't.

There were also no posts saying that GSW was building their team the right way, they absolutely lucked in to those guys. There was no grand strategy there. I didn't hear you complain that the Warriors were building a super team. They did have one smart decision in hiring West he stopped the Klay Thompson deal with Cleveland.
            Last edited by froot loops; June 19, 2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• You clearly haven't been paying attention. I've been railing against giving Drummond a max contract for a while.

Comment

• EDIT: With apologies to Froot, he is correct that I apparently did NOT voice those opinions on this forum.

Comment

• I have been paying attention and you didn't have one post saying to let him walk. in fact prior to the beginning of the July 1st offseason last year you were calling him a tremendous asset. Any complaint about the max contract prior to the signing was maybe in your head. You have complained about the max contract but it was during this current season. But you were not saying to let him walk.

In fact you were praising the Boban signing as a possible larceny back in July.

Comment

• I'd be trying to trade RJ. You might have to take on some other bad contract though. When Ish was starting Drummond and the others were meshing and starting to play well. AD was not happy with RJ's style and be is moody. If AD isn't happy he does not play well. When AD is motivated he can be an all-star.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      I have been paying attention and you didn't have one post saying to let him walk. in fact prior to the beginning of the July 1st offseason last year you were calling him a tremendous asset. Any complaint about the max contract prior to the signing was maybe in your head. You have complained about the max contract but it was during this current season. But you were not saying to let him walk.

In fact you were praising the Boban signing as a possible larceny back in July.
                      Mostly because he could theoretically be Drummond-esque but without the massive liability late in games.

A player like Drummond still has a place in today's game. But not as a max player, especially when you can't be counted on in crunch time. I've never liked the idea of giving Drummond a max deal, and if that was what it took to keep them, then yes, the Pistons should have let him walk.

Comment

• Everyone probably had some misgivings about giving Drummond a max deal. So the next question is now what do you do about KCP? He's going to merit a huge contract, if not a max contract.

Comment

• Is he worth a max contract? Is he someone you can build a team around?

The answer to both those questions is "No." Let him walk. Of course, all Gores cares about is squeaking into the playoffs, so he'll pay up.

Comment

• Pistons can't afford to sign KCP, unless they give up 1st Round draft picks to unload contracts.
                            Sometimes, you have to know when to let players walk.
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                              You're correct, that is where useless piled up stats get made.
                              Wait did you flip on Stafford again?

useless piled up stats like dragging a talent deficient team to the Playoff with comeback win after comeback win
                              1. Todd Gurley RB 2. Eddie Goldman DT 3. Tre McBride WR 5-7 OL Depth

Comment

• I would let him walk but you lose an asset. Easy for chemiclord to pooh pooh getting into the playoffs, but he's not selling tickets. he is an anonymous message board poster.

Comment

Working...
                                X