Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good start for Blake as a Piston!

Comment

• Somebody made a good point about how much of an asset cap-space really is for the Pistons when they haven't shown in the past that they can lure a big name talent to Detroit, no matter how much money they have. Would they really be able to land a guy that's (potentially, and when healthy) a top-15 player through free-agency? The biggest name I can recall them getting (other than Webber, McDyess or T-Mac, who were well past their prime years, due to injuries) to come here is Josh Smith, who hadn't even made an all-star team.

So, what good is the cap-space if you aren't able to use it effectively? This way, Detroit got their potential franchise player. Because of his health history, it's still a gamble. However, it could pay off quite well if he does stay healthy. As seen last night, he has a lot of talent and looks to find his teammates. If Andre didn't have a case of being overexcited in the first half, Blake would've had another 3 assists.
      The biggest impact Blake may have is that he was getting all of the 50/50 calls and got to the line a ton. The Pistons haven't had somebody that gets a favorable whistle in forever.

The whole trade may blow up in their faces but it also may work out really well.

Comment

• That is kinda what I am saying. The only way Detroit attracts possible free agents is by being a contender. Blake makes you a contender. I am not worried about the cap space. NBA teams are dumb and reactionary and say what you will about SVG, but he continues to fleece teams in trades all over the place.

They need to get rid of the Leuer and Galloway contracts, which were ill advised signings in the first place and Leuer is now redundant. Those two guys take up more cap space combined than Reggie Jackson. Also, at some point the Josh Smith exception comes off the books which frees up 5 more mil. I am not saying max anybody else, I am simply saying if they can get those two guys off the roster sometime in the next two years, they can certainly afford somebody decent. In the meantime, we hope Kennard and SJ continue to develop. If SJ keeps up this slashing presence with his defense he is going to be very valuable to somebody, if not us you can pair him with an albatross to maybe get a pick back, or for a wiggins/hood/parker type of guy.

Jabari Parker, with his injury history, is worth looking at if Minnesota doesn't resign him. The Pistons gotta take risk and if they get a player of that caliber and he ends up working out Detroit immediately becomes ECF contenders.
        Last edited by guitarjack87; February 2, 2018, 10:10 AM.
        1. Todd Gurley RB 2. Eddie Goldman DT 3. Tre McBride WR 5-7 OL Depth

Comment

• Originally posted by guitarjack87 View Post
          That is kinda what I am saying. The only way Detroit attracts possible free agents is by being a contender.
          Even when they are a contender, they don't exactly entice the best players. Money being equal (which for a max or near-max talent it's going to be equal), players aren't going to choose Detroit over the other options too many times.

The Pistons only real way to get that "superstar" talent is through a trade or the draft. Yes, Griffin's a pretty huge gamble. But any potentially elite talent the Pistons can get is going to be a pretty huge gamble.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
            Even when they are a contender, they don't exactly entice the best players. Money being equal (which for a max or near-max talent it's going to be equal), players aren't going to choose Detroit over the other options too many times.

The Pistons only real way to get that "superstar" talent is through a trade or the draft. Yes, Griffin's a pretty huge gamble. But any potentially elite talent the Pistons can get is going to be a pretty huge gamble.
            Well, we say that but OKC and San Antonio have established success attracting free agents in smaller media markets than we are in.

San Antonio is a bit different, obviously but if OKC can do it then why can't the Pistons? Very few franchises have a 3+ championship history, multi era championships, or iconic teams like the Pistons do. They have been really really bad since 2009 like I get that, but if they show out to end the year and possibly upset someone in the playoffs, I can see someone wanting to come here and be that third piece that propels the Pistons into ECF contention. And the Pistons are really operating on about a 3 year timetable, which should cover the rest of Blake's 'prime' barring further injury.

EDIT: I wanted to add this, because I feel it is important. I think people are looking at the cap space a bit wrong as well. NO ONE has cap space right now, there are very few teams with 20 mil + to spend and the ones who have it aren't going to want to compete with the guys the Pistons will be looking at. Indiana and the Lakers will have money. MAYBE a few other teams. All the stars coming off contracts want to play for Championships, and this is a HUGE free agent year; I mean look at the list:

A guy like Parker, Lavine, Wiggins, or Hood could become available to a team like the Pistons as a second tier guy. Guys like Lebron and PG are going to get a lot of money from teams, and there will be guys on team friendly deals after this free agency, I guarantee it.

Parker: Didn't sign extension w/ Milwaukee, they still have to pay Giannis. Might be a cap casualty/ they may end up in a bid for one of the higher tier guys, especially a center. (Embiid? Jordan?). Could be a true star, but an injury risk, which is why he is even available.

Lavine: Team is full tank mode and rebuilding around Lori Markonnen. Shoots about 38% from 3.

Wiggins: might be moot but he doesn't fit with Jimmy Butler. Kind of a better offensive version of Stanley Johnson without the defense. Not my favorite option.

Hood: Decent on Defense, Decent on offense. Doesn't have the offensive upside of Tobias or the Defensive upside of SJ, but would provide better spacing w/ the current two towers look.

Bradley (again): Did not look good as the team's primary ball handling option, but that shouldn't be a problem with blake. A Jackson/Bradley/Bullock/Griffin/Drummond starting lineup with Ish, and Stanley running a two man fast break with Kennard rolling off screens in set offense off the bench is a REALLY solid team. Maybe not a contender but close.
            Last edited by guitarjack87; February 2, 2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• OKC hasn’t attracted any star FAs. Much like when the Pistons were good they can attract solid vets to play with their stars, but thats about it. They kept Westbrook and lost Durant. They traded for PG and Carmelo. None of those guys were signed on the open market.
              Last edited by Mainevent; February 2, 2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

That is kinda what I am saying. The only way Detroit attracts possible free agents is by being a contender. Blake makes you a contender. I am not worried about the cap space. NBA teams are dumb and reactionary and say what you will about SVG, but he continues to fleece teams in trades all over the place.

They need to get rid of the Leuer and Galloway contracts, which were ill advised signings in the first place and Leuer is now redundant. Those two guys take up more cap space combined than Reggie Jackson. Also, at some point the Josh Smith exception comes off the books which frees up 5 more mil. I am not saying max anybody else, I am simply saying if they can get those two guys off the roster sometime in the next two years, they can certainly afford somebody decent. In the meantime, we hope Kennard and SJ continue to develop. If SJ keeps up this slashing presence with his defense he is going to be very valuable to somebody, if not us you can pair him with an albatross to maybe get a pick back, or for a wiggins/hood/parker type of guy.

Jabari Parker, with his injury history, is worth looking at if Minnesota doesn't resign him. The Pistons gotta take risk and if they get a player of that caliber and he ends up working out Detroit immediately becomes ECF contenders.
                I think Leuer's injury may be a career-ender. Even if it isn't, I don't think we'll be able to have even the slimmest chance of trading him until he shows he can get on the court again.

Also, Parker is on Milwaukee. He is supposed to make his season debut tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                  I think Leuer's injury may be a career-ender. Even if it isn't, I don't think we'll be able to have even the slimmest chance of trading him until he shows he can get on the court again.

Also, Parker is on Milwaukee. He is supposed to make his season debut tonight.
                  They declined his extension and his contract is up. I am not necessarily talking about right now this season, I am talking about FA

Comment

That list is from last summer, so it's dated. I know Embiid and Wiggins (and Gary Harris, who's mentioned at the bottom) have already signed extensions, so they're not on the list. There may be others that have signed as well.

Comment

• San Antonio, for the most part, grew organically with Robinson and Duncan. Having Pop there running the show and coaching the team helps. But really, the only major FA they have landed was LMA. Parker and Ginobili were also drafted.

Also, as Main stated, OKC hasn't landed any major Gas. All the pieces they have were from drafting or trades made. They traded away Harden and Ibaka. Durant left to go to their biggest rival because if you can't beat them join them. They have not signed anybody.
                      Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

Well, we say that but OKC and San Antonio have established success attracting free agents in smaller media markets than we are in.
                        NBA guys don't exactly line up to play in a snow mecca like Detroit. I remember us losing out on a few FAs because they chose a sunnier destination.
                        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                          That list is from last summer, so it's dated. I know Embiid and Wiggins (and Gary Harris, who's mentioned at the bottom) have already signed extensions, so they're not on the list. There may be others that have signed as well.
                          Overly pedantic. Take those three guys off and its still an insane FA period with a lot of viable second tier guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                            NBA guys don't exactly line up to play in a snow mecca like Detroit. I remember us losing out on a few FAs because they chose a sunnier destination.
                            I absolutely agree. The only way you get people here in FA without trading or drafting is to be a legit contender.

Since Gores/Van Gundy refuse to tank or restructure the roster, and seem to be in win now mode, I am simply speculating about possible strategies in the hole that they have dug for the franchise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                              Guys go to Cleveland, Boston, NY, and Chicago. Even Milwaukee, Indiana, and NJ seem to attract guys over us. The snow may be a small part of it, but it's not just that. Even when Detroit was competitive top FA's didn't seem to want to come. The city has a nasty rep and I think thats just as big if not a bigger factor than the cold.

I am hoping some guys see Blake and Dre and want to play with them.

Comment

• What top level FAs have Cleveland, Milwaukee and Indiana signed over the years that weren’t their own players? I can think of one, and that’s LeBron and those were unusual circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                X