• Show
Clear All

• Acceptance is the first step...

Comment

• RIP Mad Dog.

GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• RIP, Mr McAuliffe
        "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Being a kid and watching sports you don't get all the nuances of what each player brings. When reading what Lolich and Stanley said about McAuliffe I would have liked him more. But being a kid and thinking, Oh No McAuliffe's up, there goes the inning, was definately not the full picture of the player. I'll take any player who hates to lose like apparently he did. Everyone who watched him can never forget his batting stance, it was one of a kind.

Comment

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
            Being a kid and watching sports you don't get all the nuances of what each player brings. When reading what Lolich and Stanley said about McAuliffe I would have liked him more. But being a kid and thinking, Oh No McAuliffe's up, there goes the inning, was definately not the full picture of the player. I'll take any player who hates to lose like apparently he did. Everyone who watched him can never forget his batting stance, it was one of a kind.
            I'm surprise you would think that, that era of Tigers baseball was not about hitting. The 68 team won 102 game but had a team BA of 0.235. Only one starter was above .300 - That was a team built around pitching, and a four man rotation to boot.

Comment

• Well, it was when they had raised the mound and pitching dominated all of baseball, not just the Tigs. (See 31 wins for DM, or Gibson's 1.12 ERA). Yaz lead the AL at something like .302. Northrup hit .291, Horton .285.

Comment

• I Was a kid, ya know a child, that's why I thought that ha ha

Comment

• I was 6 years old in 1968

Comment

• The 68 Tigers were by far the best offensive team in baseball, it wasn't close.

Comment

• We lived about a half mile from Tiger Stadium - I can remember my parents coming home from a world series game with a piece of the infield turf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lem B View Post
                        Well, it was when they had raised the mound and pitching dominated all of baseball, not just the Tigs. (See 31 wins for DM, or Gibson's 1.12 ERA). Yaz lead the AL at something like .302. Northrup hit .291, Horton .285.
                        No doubt, it was a time when batters battled to get on base any way they could - and as Frootloops points out - the Tigers were very good at creating base running opportunities - but they weren't good hitters.

Comment

• It's all relative, the 60s are a strange decade. The 68 Tigers were the best hitting team in MLB, they were a few teams with a higher BA, but the Tigers were the best slugging team and the 2nd best OBP team. Any hitter that played primarily in the 60s has a hard case for HOF because offense was so depressed during that decade.

Comment

• Morley Safer. Retired a week ago. RIP

Comment

• Sad. RIP sir.
                              Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• RIP Morley.
                                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Working...
                                X