No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, you listen to REINCE!!!!! today on the morning circuit and it's at least entirely defensible. Explaining why the 7 countries were chosen, explaining green cards aren't banned, explaining the vast majority of the Muslim world isn't on the list, citing recent historical examples.

I think the rollout was intentional. The histrionics anticipated. What I don't get is how this serves DJT.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• You two are giving DJT and his inner circle WAYYYYYY too much credit.

For DJT and his advisers, this EO was nothing more than doubling down on his campaign promises. That the EO is getting DJT hoist(ed) with his own petard demonstrates the truth of Occam's razor almost perfectly.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Berne had to praise him for TPP. But I do think it will become increasingly difficult for any D to work with him. And Berne isn't a D. Heh

Comment

• The ACLU claims to have quadrupled its normal amount of annual online* donations this weekend.

*EDIT
          Last edited by Wild Hoss; January 29, 2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Well, people who voted against him are outraged, JB. No one in my social media streams that voted for him is upset. I actually think the ultimately narrower EO will poll well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
              You two are giving DJT and his inner circle WAYYYYYY too much credit.

For DJT and his advisers, this EO was nothing more than doubling down on his campaign promises. That the EO is getting DJT hoist(ed) with his own petard demonstrates the truth of Occam's razor almost perfectly.
              Agree. Its a combination of posturing for the Trumpanezes and an absolutely half-assed execution.

Trump says, people do; that's how he operates. I suspect that sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't, and the former is what he focuses on and takes credit. The latter..."You're fired". That will likely carry through for his tenure in the WH, however long that may be.

Comment

• It served Bannon's interests. It might not necessarily serve Trump.

Comment

• Correct, DSL

Comment

• Here's another place where I can guess Bannon was highly influential

GOP Jewish groups (including Adelson's group) criticize White House's Holocaust statement for it's complete lack of reference to Jews or anti-semitism

I'm amazed that Priebus is willing to jump on the grenade and doubled-down on the statement this morning. Is he worried that without him Trump's inner circle will be completely without any mainstream Republicans?

Comment

• Rationally picked? Do you mean that from the perspective of trying to keep would-be terrorists from entering the country, or something else?

Comment

• Just back from Dulles. A few hundred people there applauding arrivals, but mostly it was lawyers offering pro bono services. Nice to be there though. This Land Is Your Land is a great song. That's the one that gets me.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                          Rationally picked? Do you mean that from the perspective of trying to keep would-be terrorists from entering the country, or something else?
                          Rational in that I believe the same 7 countries were already getting extra scrutiny under the Obama Administration. So, at least to that extent, Trump's ban is an extension of preexisting policy.

That said, it's irrational to believe that blocking people from these 7 countries for a couple months is 'securing the border' when you're leaving the door open to countries with a much longer track record of producing terrorists.

But there's another reason why Libya, Somalia, Yemen, etc. were chosen. Overall US economic ties to these 7 matter a lot less than with the Saudis, Egyptians, or Turks. Yes, no country where Trump has business interests was blocked. But the business community in general has a lot less interest in the blocked countries as well.

The EO was a political demonstration..."LOOK I JUST MADE AMERICA GREAT!"...and possibly done to irritate the Left, though I'm not convinced that the green card part of this wasn't just a fuckup and incompetence in the messaging. We shouldn't believe everything they do is all part of a masterful strategic plan.

Comment

• They were 7 countries Obama picked for some reason or another to limit visas. I wasn't paying attention, but the gist was they borrowed from BO for targets.

Comment

• Correct, DSL! Exactly. Though no one knows that because no one cares to explain things that way. Or say that 90% of Muslims are free of the EO. You'd have watch Sunday morning crap to learn that.

Comment

• DSL

I have consistently sided with idiocy over strategic genius. However it always seems to work out for him. I'm now stuck between the obvious explanation for any single event and inexplicable success of the collective acts. No one is that lucky. So, eh...I still lean toward idiocy, but I know damn well not to judge until it's settled a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X