DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old December 28th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #1601
Jeff Buchanan

I'm not sure that connecting the dots and concluding JH fired him because he wasn't doing a good job a bit of a stretch.

The only thing I saw was a comment that JH made after the osu loss that M has to get stronger. I don't see how one can conclude from that statement that Harbaugh is shaking up his staff and fired Tolbert.

My guess is that Tolbert is just moving on. Nothing to see here; only the sports press trying to make something out of nothing.
Old December 28th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #1602
Hannibal

Quote:
M has to get stronger. I don't see how one can conclude from that statement that Harbaugh is shaking up his staff and fired Tolbert
I don't know how you could conclude anything else from that statement and Tolbert's subsequent departure.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #1603
froot loops

Tolbert had a better offer from Saline High School.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 30th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #1604
Jeff Buchanan

In today's news, Ja'Raymond Hall is now a Chippewa. There were rumors he'd not be on the team in 2018. What's weird (or maybe not) is that he practiced for the bowl game. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall.

What's disturbing is that he's a Harbaugh instate recruit and a 3* OT. Per mgoblog, he lost a lot of weight when he entered the S&C program and I wonder if there's a nexus between Tolbert leaving and Hall transferring. Just adds to Hanni's position on this if there is a nexus.

In any event, this is one more loss on the OL. I hope he was really not good rather than good but not good enough for HARBAUGH!!

This was mentioned but only in a YouTube video. Here's some more meat on the new S&C coach, Ben Herbert. Looks to me like a decent hire.

Herbert was at Wisconsin for S&C coach for 11 years, the last four of which as the head S&C guy, before leaving with Bret Bielema to go to Arkansas four years ago. That didn't work out quite as well as Herbert might have hoped, but Arkansas did have some consistently enormous offensive lines, just like Wisconsin did before him. Herbert's time at UW is probably more instructive since the Badgers aren't operating at a severe talent deficit to most of their opponents, and picking someone up from the program that makes the most out of the least recruiting in the Big Ten, and possibly the nation, seems like a good plan.
Old December 30th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #1605
WM Wolverine

He was passed at OT by about 3 in his own recruiting class... Way too early to pass judgement or give up but he was well behind Hudson & Steuber and behind Filliaga, Honigford too.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 1st, 2018, 08:04 PM   #1606
hack

9 TD passes on the year. Per Baumgartner, that's the lowest since '75. This year only four programs had less than 10 TD passes: Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois and Rutgers.

That's uglier than ugly. Speight took a step back. O'Korn went nowhere. Peters the same. Pep Hamilton?
hack is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 1st, 2018, 09:15 PM   #1607
klondike

Michigan is 9-8 in their last 17 games. Let that sink in. Why was Hoke run out of town so quickly for doing essentially the same as Harbaugh. Yeah. I know, the name,
klondike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 1st, 2018, 09:23 PM   #1608
hack

Harbaugh had success at Stanford and in the NFL.
Old January 1st, 2018, 10:44 PM   #1609
klondike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
Harbaugh had success at Stanford and in the NFL.
Reminiscence is the worst form of banter.
Old January 1st, 2018, 11:04 PM   #1610
hack

Facts are facts. Harbaugh earned his name, whereas Hoke was hired by Dave Brandon.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 02:59 AM   #1611
klondike

In not making any excuses for Hoke I have no love for him but they are both cut from the same jib. Both Michigan men who believe on physical power football. Old school stuff. Harbaugh did well in college, yes but it's not like he won any Championships. He had a once in a career qb in Luck to see him through. That also was over 7 years ago. Maybe not seemingly a lot but the way college football has evolved the last decade it could be 20 years ago.

What's sad is I don't see UM winning any more than 8 games next season with a tough schedule.

Last edited by klondike; January 2nd, 2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:29 AM   #1612
paul daugherity

That's about right. It is going to take a miraculous turnaround on offense to be better than 7-5 next year. No one could watch this team and think differently. At least I hope no one can. I hope Harbaugh sees and realizes it, and cleans house on offense and revamps it. But I'm probably hoping for too much.
paul daugherity is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:17 AM   #1613
Rocky Bleier

He's not going to change the offense. He's going to recruit and develop Wisconsin-type players to run it.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 12:53 PM   #1614
Rocky Bleier

We'll see if Harbaugh is serious about improvement if he reduces Jay's role to the guy who picks up the tee after kickoffs.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 01:44 PM   #1615
Da Geezer

Greg Frey in Tallahassee today. Lining up to be OC under Taggert.
Da Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 2nd, 2018, 01:51 PM   #1616
Rocky Bleier

Yep. We're stuck with Drevno. Frey's a better recruiter, too.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/flori...e-staff-michig

Last edited by Rocky Bleier; January 2nd, 2018 at 01:58 PM.
Rocky Bleier is offline   Reply With Quote Top