No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty informative article about where the possible ways CFB is headed in terms of postseason play...

Comment

• 3 years into his probation, looks like Ryan Leaf is going to prison.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• If those charges are true, that's where he belongs.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• He's never been the same since Wazzu was screwed out of two seconds in the '98 Rose Bowl

Comment

• Yep, one more incompletion would have made all the difference in the world.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Well,.... another Woodson pick in the end zone would have been a nice way to end the game.
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Montana (one of the biggest powers in FCS) fires its head coach and AD amidst turmoil in the football program

Comment

• Sudden firings stuns current and former players

University President Royce Engstrom told Pflugrad and O'Day on Thursday that he would not be renewing O'Day and Pflugrad's contracts. He did not give a reason in a statement announcing the firings, nor did he go into specifics when he broke the news to the coach and athletic director.

"He just said, 'We need a change of leadership,' " Pflugrad told the Missoulian. "That's all he said."

Comment

• I just heard Ryan Leaf on SD sports radio a few months ago. Apparently he wrote a book and fashioned himself as some sort of public speaker on self redemption or some such nonsense. He even spoke to the Oklahoma football team at the request of Bob Stoops. I remember thinking that Ryan Leaf is the last guy on earth I'd want talking to my football team. Well, maybe 2nd to last behind OJ Simpson but you get the point.

That would be like having Jim Tressel speak to your program about NCAA compliance.
                    Last edited by Mike; April 3, 2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Leaf's book is about the Rose Bowl and how they got screwed on the clock. He talks about the play they had called/ A few months ago he made the rounds on all he sports talk programs here in Indy talking about his "struggle" to stay clean and those who stood behind him and how he wanted to be an inspiration to others fighting addiction. Just read he was re=arrested fora second burglary and that they are seeking his vehicle's GPS to see if he did others and stashed the pills he stole. Sad sad case. Of course, here in Indy Saint Peyton stands for all that is good and the Satanical Ryan Leaf just proves how smart the Colts were.

Comment

• Having spent too much time out here.....Western Montana, Northern Idaho, and Eastern Washington is full of douchebags like Leaf. Anytime I go have a drink, I meet a guy who is hammered, and talking about High School athletic glory, and he's 40+.......Sad, really.

Comment

• Originally posted by madootra View Post
                          Having spent too much time out here.....Western Montana, Northern Idaho, and Eastern Washington is full of douchebags like Leaf. Anytime I go have a drink, I meet a guy who is hammered, and talking about High School athletic glory, and he's 40+.......Sad, really.

I didn't know you've met wiz in person..
                          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Yeah well they'll pass you by...

Comment

• Heh....

Comment

• ---

Howard University has suspended all of its intercollegiate athletics teams for what appears to be a violation of NCAA rules.

University spokeswoman Kerry-Ann Hamilton issued this statement:

It is with great regret that we have temporarily suspended intercollegiate athletic competition. This is a self-imposed action while the University conducts a review. We are working quickly to resolve this issue.

More details as they become available.

UPDATE 3:21 p.m. Coppin State athletics spokesperson Roger McAfee tells us that he hasn't haven't been informed whether the school's upcoming softball matches with Howard have been suspended. Howard lacrosse is also scheduled to play at Wesleyan next week. A rep at Wesleyan tells us, "I'm not aware that they have suspended our upcoming game."

UPDATE 3:27 p.m. Here's the reaction from one Howard athlete, who didn't want to be identified speaking publicly about the situation: "This whole situation is frustrating, and it shows how things within athletics need to be reformed and fixed. Many athletes have had their eligibility taken away and that has affected many sports dramatically. This needs to serve as a learning experience for both the athletes and the department."

UPDATE 3:44 p.m. A member of the Howard bowling team says a senior athletic administrator told the team the university is investigating problems with textbook vouchers given to athletes. According to the bowler, the university allowed athletes to spend money that they didn't use on books on whatever they wanted, a possible violation of NCAA rules. The bowler says the university is demanding that any money spent improperly be repaid to Howard and that athletes won't be able to register for classes until they clear up the matter.

The university, which hasn't yet responded to requests for detailed information, has not confirmed that account.

UPDATE 4:32 p.m. An NCAA compliance officer at another school, who would only discuss the situation under condition of anonymity, tells us that while colleges expect to have some rule violations, their job is to self-police and then report to the NCAA for further recommendations, if any. The officer says Howard's suspension suggests problems that go further than a book voucher problem with one team: "For [Howard] to self-impose complete suspension, they must not have been doing anything in compliance."

UPDATE 4:49 p.m. A former Howard football player says he, at least, never saw any unspent book voucher money. Branden Bufford, 24, who graduated in 2011, tells City Paper the athletic department used to forward his class schedule to the university bookstore, and books would be purchased for him. But Bufford did say he'd heard some student-athletes would register for extra classes, get the books, then drop the classes and sell the books.

"It's unfortunate that the athletes may have to miss games because of this," he says. "I don't know why they're up in arms about something that happens all the time, and worse things have happened. I guess the new sports administration is trying to put their foot down early."

Howard hired a new athletic director, Skip Perkins, in December 2010.

UPDATE 4:58 p.m. An NCAA spokesman, Christopher Radford, says the organization "cannot comment on current, pending or potential investigations."

UPDATE 5:47 p.m. A current Howard athlete, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, tells us that the book voucher issue extends across all teams and sports. The student athlete says the university has not been keeping track of textbook voucher money awarded to athletes since 2010—and now every team has students who are ineligible to play under NCAA rules.

"The people who disbursed the money weren't properly overseeing the book vouchers," the student says. "Now that the budget is under scrutiny, and they're looking at all the money being disbursed, they're blaming it on athletes."

According to that student, some athletes received refund checks for unspent textbook voucher funds without being told where the money was coming from; other athletes knowingly spent the money improperly on items available in the bookstore like iPads; and others spent the extra money on school supplies like notebooks and pens. "Because there is such a turnover in athletic personnel, you hear different things about what you can purchase," the student says.

At no point, the student says, were athletes given guidance on how to spend their vouchers: "In order to take the heat off of them, [athletics officials are] pointing the finger at us."

The university, meanwhile, still hasn't responded to any additional questions besides its initial statement.
                                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X