No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I were Purdue, I would hire a triple option coach in a heartbeat. Perfect fit for a program that will always have shitty recruiting. Even with next to no talent, that would be really tough to prepare for.

Comment

• Purdue can't afford Les Miles.

Comment

• Then where is Purdue spending their money?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
          Purdue can't afford Les Miles.
          There may not be any amount of money that could draw Les to Purdue, but they're going to have money. I think BIG distributions are going to increase to $44M next year, from $34M in 2016-17.

Nebraska will be fully vested, so our conference disbursement is essentially going to double.

Comment

• How about Chris Creighton to Purdue.

Comment

• Well, I followed up an improbable 5-1 week with a miraculous 6-0 week to edge on up to 27-16-1 for the season. I ought to call it a day, but I'll press forward knowing full well the dreaded "even Steven" undertow is about to rear its ugly head. And, I have to say, I had a really hard time with the bulk of this week's game.

Rutgers (+19) at Minnesota. Opened at 21. Some of you may recall that the Goofers never rail non-conference FBS teams at home. That maxim proved valuable as Colorado State easily covered the 17 in Twin Cities and nearly won. Unfortunately, Rutgers is a conference team and, for all intents and purposes, not an FBS team. The line drop represents an appropriate amount of consternation in backing the Goofers to blow anyone out. Gah, this game makes little baby jesus cry...I'll back the Goofers...I just can't back the Boilers and Rutgers in same week. Can't do it.

Indiana (+2') at Northwestern. Line opened at 4. nFw has, apparently, turned the corner. They've gone from an offense of vomit to scoring 92 points in the past two weeks...ON THE ROAD! Indiana has played two good teams and lost, but made a good showing in both. IU has generally been cannon fodder on the road. I think this is a different IU team, but I'm not confident enough in the Hoosiers to back them to win outright in the Vortex of Suck. I'll back nFw in a close, ugly game.

Purdue (+24) at Nebraska. Last year the fearsome Boilers really put it in UNL in West Lafayette. It was the reincarnation of the fucking '80 Chargers in a 55-45 humiliation of the Corn People. It's clear Riley will be out for blood, but nothing I've seen from UNL this year suggests they'll blow any non-MWC team out. However, not much suggests Purdue will keep it close. Hmmm. It seems like David Blough is coming into his own a bit, and is certainly capable of at least engineering garbage time drives. Plus, there's the Good Boiler/Bad Boiler paradigm and this week is Good Boiler. So, I'll back Purdue to keep this game within the number.

Wisconsin (-3') at Iowa. Really interesting game. This one is for Wisconsin's Big Ten West life. It's absolute must win. Iowa has some leeway even accounting for their upcoming loss to M. The home team in this series has lost the last 5 games. But, they've all been within 1 score. I think it's going to be there again. So, if you think Hornibrook can pass, then it's an easy pick. But I'm really not there. I think this will be like the Iowa-Minnesota slog-fest. I think Wisky will pull it out, but man, the hook is enough to make it a coin flip for me....I guess I'll go Badgers and hope for 17-13 or something.

Illinois (+39) at Michigan. Opened at 34! I don't think there's a need to spend much time with this one. Illinois stinks. UNC ran them off the field in Champaign and Western crushed them in Champaign. The line movement is correct. The Death Star rolls on in a big way...I'll say something like 52-7.

Michigan State (-3) at Maryland. I dunno. I mean, yeah, the Turtle have become the Turtle the past two weeks. They've been bludgeoned by physical teams. But F -- has anyone watched MSU play? I think the 3 is for the name on the jersey. I'm going to continue to fade Sparty until I'm proven wrong -- even if that means preposterously backing the Turtle with a mere FG. So....Maryland.

Ohio State (-19') at Penn State. I've talked lots about this in the OSU thread. Here's all I really care about -- Franklin is being cagey with his LBs. He has said Carbinda may be back and Brandon Bell, too, though, reading between the lines, that seems less likely. Carbinda is their leading tackler from last season and a legitimate B10 player. The alternative is a walk-on. Same deal with Bell, though the marginal value decrease is less. I'm surprisingly bullish on OSU for this one. I think they can win by 21-24. I reserve the right to change if the weather looks bad (right now, cool with highish winds--ugh). But, F, I'll back UFM and the Buckeyes.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• talent ....... I'm not smart when it comes to placing bets and betting terms.

When you "back osu" does that mean you're betting they will cover the spread at 19 points or does it mean you just pick them to win?

I get you're saying they can win by 21-24 (points) but if I recall that doesn't comport with a prediction on this game you made earlier and elsewhere.

Please elaborate.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• So we're favored by 39 now? Is that the largest spread for a conference game since at least the Gary Moeller era?

Comment

• Buchanan:

All my picks are against the spread. So, I'm backing them to cover the 19'. I don't feel particularly good about it, but then again, I don't feel good about any of my picks. I do feel good about M, but the line is so big that a pick 6 or, more likely, 4th quarter nonsense could queer the play.

But, yes -- against the spread. I expect UNL to beat Purdue easily, but I think the Boilers can score enough to stay within 24. I expect the Goofers to beat Rutgers, but I'm really uncomfortable with them giving 19 to anyone, but I still back them to cover.

Comment

• STFU
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Your lack of cogency is matched only by your lack of hygiene. I suggest a long shower and brain transplant.

Comment

• Concur.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Last edited by edindetroit; October 21, 2016, 01:10 PM.
                            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Talent I have a question for you...have you stopped sniffing glue yet?

Thanks in advance.

AA:

hi
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Is it me you're looking for?
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X