DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old December 7th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #41
Futureshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontes91 View Post
Well my favorite Lion might still be Greg Landry so yeah, I've seen the shit show far too many years. The most my internal hope meter gets to is maybe 5%, and after the decent start this year I approached that, sensing things felt different. So I'm mostly mired in apathy.....but still, it's not easy wanting them to lose.
It was a lot easier to point out lack of talent in prior years. It was ALL but 1 or 2. Now it's certain spots that the Coordinators try to cover. Austin is ok with that. But Cooties is awful.

Point being, IMHO, this team has enough talent to win. Maybe not a SB, but enough to win a playoff game or the division. Hell, the team we beat earlier, is steamrolling teams now. Since that game they have escalated and we've gone in the toilet.

Coaching makes a huge difference.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:42 AM   #42
Panoptes

Such bs on the hurt the other player stuff.

Players and coaches do not like issuing or being listed on an injury report because it exposes physical limitations. The report itself, mandated by the NFL, is a built in weekly strategy guide.

If Staffords hand is hurt, you're gd right to go after the affliction (strip sack while hitting the known bad hand harder than normal is warranted). If a rb has a bad knee/shoulder/ankle, you key on tackling him harder while focusing on the known injured location. That's just how it works.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #43
Futureshock

Of course. But to say it publicly? Dumb! The Lions are gonna play him/or not, on their on volition regardless what he, you, me or Jesus Christ says so it makes no sense.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #44
Panoptes

Saying it publicly is not an issue. If they hurt him even more, within the rules of the game, thats just smart football.

It also might cause a little psych job to run through Staffords head.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #45
UKBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post
Such bs on the hurt the other player stuff.

Players and coaches do not like issuing or being listed on an injury report because it exposes physical limitations. The report itself, mandated by the NFL, is a built in weekly strategy guide.

If Staffords hand is hurt, you're gd right to go after the affliction (strip sack while hitting the known bad hand harder than normal is warranted). If a rb has a bad knee/shoulder/ankle, you key on tackling him harder while focusing on the known injured location. That's just how it works.
I remember when Steve Yzerman came back from that horrible knee injury and the Edmonton players kept hitting his knee with their sticks. Finally Gretzky had the puck and Bob Probert checked him so hard he went arse over tea kettles landing in a heap on the ice. That stopped that nonsense.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #46
Panoptes

Yes, the players know its part of the game.
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:59 AM   #47
Futureshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post
Saying it publicly is not an issue. If they hurt him even more, within the rules of the game, thats just smart football.

It also might cause a little psych job to run through Staffords head.
The Sheriff doesn't like the shield being sullied like that. I'd wager you any thing you care to lose.

Pony up big man. You know you're right
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #48
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureshock View Post
Yeah. Koetter doesn't have a lick of sense either. He has gotten in trouble before because of stupidity. He's just set himself up for a fine or suspension if a player does re-injure that hand.

It's actually a throw-back to the ol days. Only a dumass thinks people don't do dum $h!t. Probably because he's stuck in his own dumb $h!t.
What do you mean “if” according to people o this forum he flat told his players to hurt Mediocre Matty - when does the suspension start?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #49
Malto Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBB View Post
I remember when Steve Yzerman came back from that horrible knee injury and the Edmonton players kept hitting his knee with their sticks. Finally Gretzky had the puck and Bob Probert checked him so hard he went arse over tea kettles landing in a heap on the ice. That stopped that nonsense.
Goons don't belong in the NHL, just ask Chemi.
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:22 PM   #50
dpatnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
Apparently dwt believes what Koetter meant when he said they were going to try to get a hold of Stafford's hand was so they could sing Kumbaya together.

Yeah, I am sure that is what Mr. Carta meant.
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #51
dpatnod

Lions-Buccaneers injury report: 5 offensive linemen dealing with injury

The Lions are hurting on their front five.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...tthew-stafford

Perfect. Lol.
Old December 8th, 2017, 06:30 AM   #52
gibby

I'm curious to see if the lions have given up on the season and are now playing for incentives/contracts. I have a feeling the the coaches are losing the team
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:01 AM   #53
dwt1

They're supposed to be professionals, they should be playing to preserve their positions by winning. I believe they win the next for games. These are the types of teams Mediocre Matty routinely beats - nothing special about them, defenses aren't particularly tough - the only question is, how is his hand?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:50 AM   #54
gibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwt1 View Post
They're supposed to be professionals, they should be playing to preserve their positions by winning. I believe they win the next for games. These are the types of teams Mediocre Matty routinely beats - nothing special about them, defenses aren't particularly tough - the only question is, how is his hand?
Jim Bob's Cooter hinted it might be a Rudock kind of Sunday
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:18 AM   #55
Lionsfan123

Quote:
Time to follow the script for the Lions to win enough games to save Caldwell's job.

Last edited by Lionsfan123; December 8th, 2017 at 09:21 AM.
Lionsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #56
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsfan123 View Post
Time to follow the script for the Lions to win enough games to save Caldwell's job.
And thier jobs, do you think the players want to move up in the draft? That next high round draft pick could be thier replacement.

Caldwell is going nowhere, he’s Detroit’s Marvin Lewis - dude has been HC for Cincy since 2003.

Last edited by dwt1; December 8th, 2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #57
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibby View Post
Jim Bob's Cooter hinted it might be a Rudock kind of Sunday
Haven’t heard that.

Old December 8th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #58
gibby

Quote:
Haven’t heard that.
http://m.detroitlions.com/news/lions...4-352a228ded07

The offense wouldn't change a whole lot if Jake Rudock is pressed into action Sunday, according to Cooter. Detroit would highlight some of the things they think Rudock does best and play off his strengths, but Cooter said wholesale changes to the offense would not be needed.
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #59
dwt1

Be interesting to see what he does if given a chance.

Old December 8th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #60
Panoptes

There are apparently only 7 plays (14 if you reverse direction) in the entire playbook, so yeah, Rudock has the entire playbook at his disposal.