No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At happy hour today, we had a trivia contest thing go on.
    There was a question "who is the last major city to win a championship in 3 of the "big sports" in the same year. NFL, NBA, NHL, or MLB? 3 of those 4.

Apparently the answer was "Detroit." I had no clue.
    I embarrass myself as a Detroit fan for not knowing.
    Obviously it would have been in the 1950s or 40s.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Cleveland could be in the running this year if the Brown's weren't the AFC version of the Lions. Lol

Sent from my LG-F670L using Tapatalk
      AAL- Sam Martin - Because the Punter is one of Detroit's most used assets

Comment

• Random thoughts, but looking for random advice from any parents over there who's kids may have gone off travelling.
        Briefly, my eldest son, Mark went to Imperial College, London ten years ago, fell in love witn the place and now owns a flat there, and it's his permanent home with his partner.
        Daughter lives in Edinburgh with her partner and my grandaughter. They're all currently in Barcelona at the moment.

But my youngest son, Scott, (22 years old) quit his job two weeks ago and is going on a month long organised tour of Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam with 30 other people. (Eldest son helped organise it) He leaves November 3rd. He's then going straight to Sydney after that to work for a year.
        Problem is, he's my best buddy, my Hibs partner at games etc, and I'm going to miss him more than I can imagine. He's not even away yet and I'm heading off to my bathroom on occasion to cry my effin eyes out so the wife won't see me!

All you parents over there who's kids have naffed off to college or basically just moved to other states........ Does that feeling of loss and (borderline dread) go away?
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• They will always be missed but, you will soon take great comfort in seeing he has become a man who is an independent thinker and able to get on for himself.

You will cherish the memories and create new ones at every opportunity.

Having another child might help, though.;-)
          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
            They will always be missed but, you will soon take great comfort in seeing he has become a man who is an independent thinker and able to get on for himself.

You will cherish the memories and create new ones at every opportunity.

Having another child might help, though.;-)
            Thanks, Malto.

We have a gorgeous new third bridge well into construction on the Firth of Forth. If Sacha becomes pregnant, I'll be jumping off the fkn thing.

Scotty boy has always wanted to be a policeman. Someone said to him, "go get plenty of life experience!"........, I think he's taken that advice and multiplied it by 10!
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Not having kids I can't help much. But as a kid that moved 1700 miles from home, I can tell you that it's hard on this end too. I hope that brings some comfort.
              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Thanks SLF......, not sure if that's comforting or not!

Two things he's initially worrying about.
                1/ Being in Dubai airport finding the gate for the connecting flight to Bangkok. I've told him thatll be a piece of cake and not to worry about that. That's coming from me who gets lost on the London Underground.

And 2/, (and worrying me slightly) getting a cab from Bangkok airport to the large hotel complex where all the travellers are meeting. Need to tell him to get a proper cab, none of this Bangkok Ubering pish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                  Does that feeling of loss and (borderline dread) go away?
                  No. And everytime they leave after a visit feels about the same. But you do find comfort in their successes - even if it is from a distance.
                  Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Marko,

It sounds like your son is also a close friend and buddy. Bravo! You have done well.

I know of no way to avoid a sense of loss as he seeks his independence, and path in life. However, bear in mind that technology can help, with all of the ways to communicate, both in written form, and visually. Get signed up for Skype, for example. It might help take the edge off things a little.

Would it help to imagine a worse case scenario? Suppose for a moment that he was headed off to war. Or, that he had received a life threatening medical diagnosis. You would certainly take what was in front of you now, if either of those were true. Once you mentally place yourself in a far worse situation, sometimes it helps (me, at least) you feel better about the current issue you are facing. It's kind of like removing self pity by remembering someone you know in a far worse situation.
                    Last edited by bimmer84; October 26, 2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Random Thoughts

Marko - I moved away at the age of 25 to CT from MI. I was there six years. It was hard for me, my dad had a hard time with it initially too. That said - it turned out to be one of the best things in my life and I don't at all regret it. It got my Dad on a computer to learn email and we talked minimally once a week. You have technology in your favor with the multitude of ways to keep in touch with your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• I don't have any experiences close to that Marko. My two oldest children are off to college. My daughter is about an 1 hr 15 min and my son is about 1 hr 45 min from here. Still miss the heck out of them.
                        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Ever wish you could roll the clock back 10 hours? Wish I hadn't asked about kids leaving on trips...... Feel like a total selfish bastard now. But a wiser selfish bastard and I thank you all who replied for that.

FTR, I see a guy named Martin who is manager at a plumbing merchant in Edinburgh, maybe once every two weeks........ He tragically lost his son in a freak accident two years ago this Hogmanay, (think I posted something about it on here at the time) ......, when I see him, I think about you Coop and a few other people I know. All of you guys strength is completely inspiring....., I cannot comprehend it, and i feel pathetic asking about a trip that I KNOW millions of youngsters go on.

Thanks for your words also, Bimmer. Masses of perspective right there.

Now Fking off to the Hot tub place with the wife for a few days, with no internet. TTFN.

Comment

• And Fk knows why that red thumbs down appeared? I didn't do that. Maybe they appear as a symbol to cheer the Fk up!

Comment

Now Fking off to the Hot tub place with the wife for a few days, with no internet. TTFN.
                              Post videos or it didn't happen.
                              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Thanks SLF......, not sure if that's comforting or not!

Two things he's initially worrying about.
                                1/ Being in Dubai airport finding the gate for the connecting flight to Bangkok. I've told him thatll be a piece of cake and not to worry about that. That's coming from me who gets lost on the London Underground.

And 2/, (and worrying me slightly) getting a cab from Bangkok airport to the large hotel complex where all the travellers are meeting. Need to tell him to get a proper cab, none of this Bangkok Ubering pish.
                                I looked up some info on Dubai airport, and while people say it's very big, they also said it's easy to find your way around and all the signs are in English, etc. I'm sure he'll have plenty of time to get to his connecting flight. If he's really worried, tell him to ask a flight attendant about it before he lands (they can tell him his connecting gate). Plus, the maps of the airports are usually in the magazines they put in your seat.

As far as the taxi in Bangkok, the info I read says that a lot of the taxi drivers can't speak very good English. Maybe print out the name of the hotel complex in English and Thai so that he can show the driver? I suppose he could go full out and print a map or save the location on his smart phone too. I'm sure it'll work out.

The only other thing I can say is just to echo Bim's advice. Get Skype (or have Sacha do it). I speak with my parents several times a week. It's free, we have video and it helps to feel connected.

Enjoy the spa!
                                2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

Working...
                                X