Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeanUK View Post
    Jahvid Best suit vs. NFL dismissed

Part of Schnitzer's contention in January was that after the league knew about Best's concussion history in college, it still allowed him to be drafted.
    This kind of thing bothers me and I don't want to open up a can of worms debate on the McD hot coffee lawsuit. But suing in part because they ALLOWED him to be drafted? He CHOSE to be drafted.

I can guarantee that if the NFL started waiving players from the draft because of injury history, they would be facing lawsuits for that too. Some form of "it's my right to enter the draft, you can't exclude me, this is discrimination".

If you want to fight for compensation for an injury, that's fine but to use the line for reasoning seen here is grabbing at straws to me.
    "Well, that wasn't pretty, but it was beautiful,'' Lions coach Jim Schwartz said.
    After Lions 7-3 win over GB

Comment

• Originally posted by AKLionsfan View Post
      This kind of thing bothers me and I don't want to open up a can of worms debate on the McD hot coffee lawsuit. But suing in part because they ALLOWED him to be drafted? He CHOSE to be drafted.

I can guarantee that if the NFL started waiving players from the draft because of injury history, they would be facing lawsuits for that too. Some form of "it's my right to enter the draft, you can't exclude me, this is discrimination".

If you want to fight for compensation for an injury, that's fine but to use the line for reasoning seen here is grabbing at straws to me.
      On top of that Best wasn't paid peanuts. Some responsibility falls on himself to set money aside for medical costs down the road.
      AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by AKLionsfan View Post
        Yup. That is Lawyer speak for it is your responsibility for putting him in a position to do potential harm to himself when we can prove he has already been harmed doing it.

Yup. Don't blame the player, it is the lawyers voice you are hearing.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Niners' Eric Wright retires from football

Eric Wright is retiring from football at the age of 28.

San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh first revealed the possibility of Wright hanging the cleats up at his press conference Tuesday, and NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport has confirmed that Wright has indeed made his decision. The team later officially announced the cornerback's decision.

It's surprising news for Wright, who is only two years removed from signing a monster five-year, $37.5 million contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Wright also played with Detroit and Cleveland in his seven-year career.

There was no guarantee that Wright would have even made the 49ers' roster, although the team is short at cornerback with Tramaine Brock, Chris Culliver and Chris Cook atop the depth chart. Culliver, like Wright, has had off-field problems in his career. Wright lost a lot of money from his PED suspension in 2012, and he had a DUI last offseason.

He's another reminder of how fast things can change in the NFL. In just two years, he's gone from a highly sought after free agent to a borderline roster player that decided he was better off just calling it quits.
          After head coach John Harbaugh told the media Tuesday that Eric Wright was contemplating retirement, the defensive back confirmed the news. At age 28, he is stepping away from the game.
          2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• I was listening to NFL Radio yesterday and some guy was saying that everywhere Rod Marinelli goes, the team gets better defensively. I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about lol cuz that isn't true.
            Chicago... Detroit... I'm not sure he had much responsibility in Tampa. This is Marinelli's chance to show people if he is a better coach than we thought he was. Dallas has less talent than last year on defense.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Titus Young was arrested again.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Good pick.

Comment

• Ex-Detroit Lions WR Titus Young arrested on felony charge in Los Angeles
                  6:45 PM, July 14, 2014 |

In this Jan. 7, 2012 file photo, Detroit Lions wide receiver Titus Young (16) reacts at the end of a 45-28 loss to the New Orleans Saints during the second half of an NFL wild card playoff football game in New Orleans. / Dave Martin/Associated Press

By David Leon Moore

USA TODAY Sports

LOS ANGELES ? Troubled former Detroit Lions wide receiver Titus Young has been arrested on another felony charge ? battery with serious bodily injury ? and is in custody in the Twin Towers Correctional Facility in Los Angeles, with bail set at $105,000, according to an L.A. district attorney?s office spokesperson and the L.A. sheriff?s department?s website.

The L.A. sheriff?s department would not comment on details of the arrest.
                  Greg Risling, a spokesperson for the district attorney?s office, said Young was also charged with four counts of battery of school, park or hospital property. Those counts are misdemeanors.

Young was arrested July 9, just one day before he was scheduled to make a pretrial hearing appearance in Newport Beach, Calif., where he is facing four felonies and seven other criminal charges.

Young, 24, was charged in May 2013 with felony burglary and assault ? 11 charges in all. Since then, two different attorneys have sought a series of delays in the legal process while Young received medical treatment.

His lawyers and family members declined to say what treatment he was receiving. Young?s father, Richard, has said in the past that Young has a mental disorder that requires treatment.

Young?s most recent lawyer, Brian Hurwitz, had tried to negotiate a resolution to the case with Orange County (Calif.) prosecutors.

But Hurwitz told USA TODAY Sports he is no longer representing Young.
                  Hurwitz declined to elaborate.

Young was a star receiver at Boise State who showed promise as a speed receiver in two seasons with the Lions until behavioral issues resulted in his release in February 2013.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Someone must have taken away his Wheaties.
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• But he had so much potential.

Comment

• Says you, MM and Swhorts
                        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Put a new battery in the sarChasm detector
                          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Ha ha. Yup. I'm not a big fan of drafting high bad character dudes. Titus was one of them. Broyles was another of a different category (injury history).

Avoid em like the plague.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMP View Post
                              Ha ha. Yup. I'm not a big fan of drafting high bad character dudes. Titus was one of them. Broyles was another of a different category (injury history).

Avoid em like the plague.
                              You do that all the time, you miss out on guys like LAWRENCE TAYLOR or even down to a JUSTIN HOUSTON-OLB/DE type.

You have to know when hold em and not be willing to gamble all the time <cough> any Lions 2nd round <cough>.
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• LT was before my time. I didn't know he was a headcase/injured in college? Here it says to the contrary:
                                One of the factors that the Giants said they considered in selecting Taylor was his solid reputation. "He was the cleanest player in the draft. By that I mean there was no rap on him," said head coach Ray Perkins. "Great potential as a linebacker, a fine young man, free of injuries.
                                LT, Pepper Johnson, Carl Banks. Oh my.

I get what you mean though, but I'm referring to the Lawrence Phillips and Titus Young's of the world. Guys that do this:
                                Young was frequently in trouble during his time at Boise State. He frequently missed workouts and argued with coaches. He was forced to sit out the first quarter of the 2007 Hawai'i Bowl for an undisclosed violation of team rules. On October 11, 2008, Broncos coach Chris Petersen suspended Young for at least three games, again for an undisclosed violation of team rules. Two weeks later, Petersen extended the suspension indefinitely; in Petersen's words, Young and the Broncos "just need some time apart." He didn't play again for the rest the season.
                                The only guy I can think of recently is Janoris Jenkins who was kicked off the team at UF and has a great young career thus far.

Comment

Working...
                                X