DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:17 PM   #3521
Futureshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjack87 View Post
Well, we say that but OKC and San Antonio have established success attracting free agents in smaller media markets than we are in.
NBA guys don't exactly line up to play in a snow mecca like Detroit. I remember us losing out on a few FAs because they chose a sunnier destination.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:39 PM   #3522
guitarjack87

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JD* View Post
That list is from last summer, so it's dated. I know Embiid and Wiggins (and Gary Harris, who's mentioned at the bottom) have already signed extensions, so they're not on the list. There may be others that have signed as well.
Overly pedantic. Take those three guys off and its still an insane FA period with a lot of viable second tier guys.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:40 PM   #3523
guitarjack87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureshock View Post
NBA guys don't exactly line up to play in a snow mecca like Detroit. I remember us losing out on a few FAs because they chose a sunnier destination.
I absolutely agree. The only way you get people here in FA without trading or drafting is to be a legit contender.

Since Gores/Van Gundy refuse to tank or restructure the roster, and seem to be in win now mode, I am simply speculating about possible strategies in the hole that they have dug for the franchise.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 07:33 PM   #3524
kreton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureshock View Post
Guys go to Cleveland, Boston, NY, and Chicago. Even Milwaukee, Indiana, and NJ seem to attract guys over us. The snow may be a small part of it, but it's not just that. Even when Detroit was competitive top FA's didn't seem to want to come. The city has a nasty rep and I think thats just as big if not a bigger factor than the cold.

I am hoping some guys see Blake and Dre and want to play with them.
kreton is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old February 2nd, 2018, 08:24 PM   #3525
Mainevent

What top level FAs have Cleveland, Milwaukee and Indiana signed over the years that weren’t their own players? I can think of one, and that’s LeBron and those were unusual circumstances.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old February 2nd, 2018, 08:40 PM   #3526
*JD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjack87 View Post
Overly pedantic. Take those three guys off and its still an insane FA period with a lot of viable second tier guys.
Durant, Westbrook, and Aldridge are off that list too. That's 6 out of 26 with 5 of them being in the top 14. There are a handful of others that have player options (so they may opt to stay for the length of their contract), as well as others that will be restricted free-agents.

My point is that you pulled from an old article and also named Wiggins as a target. He also got $150 million for 5 years, so he wasn't paid like a 2nd tier guy.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 08:42 PM   #3527
*JD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainevent View Post
What top level FAs have Cleveland, Milwaukee and Indiana signed over the years that weren’t their own players? I can think of one, and that’s LeBron and those were unusual circumstances.
The Bucks signed Greg Monroe.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 08:45 PM   #3528
*JD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreton View Post
Guys go to Cleveland, Boston, NY, and Chicago. Even Milwaukee, Indiana, and NJ seem to attract guys over us. The snow may be a small part of it, but it's not just that. Even when Detroit was competitive top FA's didn't seem to want to come. The city has a nasty rep and I think thats just as big if not a bigger factor than the cold.

I am hoping some guys see Blake and Dre and want to play with them.
I don't know if JJ Reddick would take less money to play for his old coach (if SVG still has his job next year) but he'd be a good guy to have for 1 or 2 more years, while Kennard learns the ropes.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 08:52 PM   #3529
Mainevent

The Bucks did successfully outbid the competition for Monroe.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 08:59 PM   #3530
*JD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainevent View Post
The Bucks did successfully outbid the competition for Monroe.
Both he and KCP were bullets dodged. I wonder how much money KCP lost by not going for that 4-year, $80 mil offer that the Pistons reportedly gave him? I'd guess at least $25 mil.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 09:00 PM   #3531
*JD*

Here's a more up-to-date list of FA's. It does look like even though KD signed an extension, he does have an opt-out. I'm doubting he uses it, unless it's to get more money from the Warriors.

http://hoopshype.com/2018/01/11/nba-...e-top-players/
Old February 12th, 2018, 09:49 PM   #3532
Lionsfan123

Seeing how the Pistons fell apart tonight against the Pelicans, is it safe to say the Clippers won the deal and SVG screwed the Pistons for years to come?

Last edited by Lionsfan123; February 12th, 2018 at 09:58 PM.
Lionsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old February 13th, 2018, 03:30 PM   #3533
*JD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsfan123 View Post
Seeing how the Pistons fell apart tonight against the Pelicans, is it safe to say the Clippers won the deal and SVG screwed the Pistons for years to come?
Blake didn't have much to do with the loss last night (he did take too many 3's, though) and the Pistons had lost 8 in a row with Tobias and Bradley.

In summation: No.

It is safe to say that the Pistons are playing lackluster basketball right now. I'm still hopeful that part of this is trying to get the new pieces to fit and that the All-Star break will give them some much-needed practice time to figure things out. 26 games to go and they probably need to win 17-18 of them to make the playoffs.
Old February 13th, 2018, 05:18 PM   #3534
Mainevent

The Pistons had no chance at being relevant with what they had. They weren’t bad enough to get a high pick and SVG and Gores weren’t going to tank. With Griffin and Andre they at least have a shot at being relevant the next few years (clearly health permitting). And who knows, if another top player becomes disgruntled, maybe playing with those two in the Eastern Conference will look attractive. Not likely but it’s at least gone from no chance to a slim one.
Old February 13th, 2018, 08:10 PM   #3535
Whitley

Even with the addition of Blake, the Pistons really need a totally healthy Reggie Jackson starting at the point. He makes them a much more interesting. And if you look at the roster (when healthy) it is intriguing.