No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark, My 14 year old son will build one for you for $50 over the cost of parts + shipping.

He built his and his friends and is in the process of upgrading his now. (we just bought the new parts last night.)
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Can one really build a PC any cheaper than you can buy one these days? I ask that as a serious question, because I don't know.

It seems to me that buying the individual boards and components means you pay a retail-level markup on each one, whereas the manufacturer like Dell or Acer gets the components at a much cheaper price, then marks up the final product.

To be sure, you get more control over the components going in (but that probably means even higher prices if you're going to fuss over name brands and such...) But there's enough variety out there that I can find a PC already made to meet my specs on processor, graphics, RAM, HD / SD, etc.
      The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
        Can one really build a PC any cheaper than you can buy one these days? I ask that as a serious question, because I don't know.

It seems to me that buying the individual boards and components means you pay a retail-level markup on each one, whereas the manufacturer like Dell or Acer gets the components at a much cheaper price, then marks up the final product.

To be sure, you get more control over the components going in (but that probably means even higher prices if you're going to fuss over name brands and such...) But there's enough variety out there that I can find a PC already made to meet my specs on processor, graphics, RAM, HD / SD, etc.

I think the main attractions is customization, but I think that my son built a more powerful PC for the money than he could have bought off the shelf. You have to shop for good deals on components. He did a lot of research so he knew what he wanted and what would work as well if he couldn't get the price he wanted. My oldest son has built a few, too.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• ULF - I don't trust any residential grade computer from any manufacturer. I build because I know quality components will last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Can one really build a PC any cheaper than you can buy one these days? I ask that as a serious question, because I don't know.

Another thing you have to factor in is the cost of the operating systems unless you go the free Linux route.
            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Yes you can still build a desktop PC cheaper than off the shelf. My last two builds I've verified that before embarking on the build.

That's not to say its a *huge* saving or its always true. I'm sure there may be situations where buying a mass produced Dell (for example) would be cheaper. And your custom built PC doesn't come with any kind of support other than that of the individual components.

But to be honest, the main reason I build is because I think its fun.

Comment

• I would be lost building a PC and I've probably built a 1000 servers.

Comment

Is anything possible yes.

Whitebox manufacturing is a niche play anymore and sometimes an Art.

We have not lost a deal to a whitebox assemblers in a long long time, the OEM's get much better pricing, provide better support, and their cost of the base OS is much less. IF you are an academic institution with an MS Enterprise agreement you get the OS at half the price through MSNA or STF which whitebox manufacturers have never heard of.

#1. OEM parts come with no real warranty, thus most whiteboxers have to send back their bad parts to be verified as bad at their cost and wait for a replacement part to be shipped back. So let's say you have an Intel Core Duo CPU (remember those from 4-5 years ago), well if you have a defective CPU whitebox assemblers don't stock 10% warranty replacement parts in their basement/garage/office of every part they have ever sold for 7 years, instead they have to send it off. However other than the used market the distributor or gray market dealer doesn't carry 10% warranty parts of what they sold either. Thus you may never get a replacement part for what has failed. The true OEMS have you covered.

#2. Whitebox assemblers can go much more granular on the parts used for sure for a build, but they have no real live testing of parts for compatibility or failure testing either when combing "the best of breed". If they say they do they are bs'ing most of the time.

#3. Whitebox assemblers do offer more bleeding edge products earlier to market, but of course 25% of the product brought to market early is discontinued or EOL'd due to failures / incompatibilities and replaced after early adopters test the gear.

Most OEM's offer the same Intel chipset motherboards, NIC's, with Discrete video card chipsets that any assembler does.

If you want a stable, driver supported, firmware supported, if it breaks you will get it replaced at no cost in 1-3 days for the same price or less go OEM.

If you want Niche, Art, Coolness, go assembler. At the end of the day it is a tool to get you to google and email 90% of the time.
                  Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
                    Yes you can still build a desktop PC cheaper than off the shelf. My last two builds I've verified that before embarking on the build.

That's not to say its a *huge* saving or its always true. I'm sure there may be situations where buying a mass produced Dell (for example) would be cheaper. And your custom built PC doesn't come with any kind of support other than that of the individual components.

Exactly and there is nothing wrong with that reason!

Computers are a commodity now, they are sold in mass to produce cash flow, pump revenue and if you are an OEM they put you on the IDC map.
                    Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      I would be lost building a PC and I've probably built a 1000 servers.
                      Basically a server is a PC.
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post

To build on this The more powerful or flexible you want the system the better the savings. A $500 Bare bones system will generally be cheaper or faster out the door. Either that our your going questionable on several parts like case, psu, mobo, HD/SSD, and even optical drive.

But you want a semi performance machine. One that might retail for 1700, well you could probably build it for 1200, still be using quality components.

Also just knowing whats in the computer makes all the difference in the world. I'd take a retail Asus or Gigabyte board over what is likely a made to order Foxconn, or a Samsung 850evo or Crucial MX200 over a likely Liteon or Toshiba SSD.

Still I tend to recommend ordering a system instead of building it for all but family. Not because I don't want to help them, but because unless I am really close to the person, I don't want them to decide that I am accountable when the system acts up. But other than that I love putting a computer together. It's so much fun and love the tension in the air as you press the power button for the first time.
                        AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                          To build on this The more powerful or flexible you want the system the better the savings. A $500 Bare bones system will generally be cheaper or faster out the door. Either that our your going questionable on several parts like case, psu, mobo, HD/SSD, and even optical drive.

But you want a semi performance machine. One that might retail for 1700, well you could probably build it for 1200, still be using quality components.

Also just knowing whats in the computer makes all the difference in the world. I'd take a retail Asus or Gigabyte board over what is likely a made to order Foxconn, or a Samsung 850evo or Crucial MX200 over a likely Liteon or Toshiba SSD.

Still I tend to recommend ordering a system instead of building it for all but family. Not because I don't want to help them, but because unless I am really close to the person, I don't want them to decide that I am accountable when the system acts up. But other than that I love putting a computer together. It's so much fun and love the tension in the air as you press the power button for the first time.
                          I've used both Asus and Gigabyte motherboards and prefer Asus since the Gigabyte motherboard I had used a really shrill cooling fan that made for a noisy PC.

Comment

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post
                            I've used both Asus and Gigabyte motherboards and prefer Asus since the Gigabyte motherboard I had used a really shrill cooling fan that made for a noisy PC.
                            I have 4 manufacturers I don't mind recommending but by far and large I prefer Asus. Reliability they are in the top 3, features top 3, performance top 3. The other 3 are only near the top in one of those, maybe 2 for Gigabyte (which is why I listed them there). The other one I like is MSI. I don't really like Asrock, but they just make the oddest boards and if you want a non-standard type feature their boards are good enough I don't mind using them.
                            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• I've built ASUS since 2004. Only bad experience was after I refreshed core parts of my HTPC new motherboard (a refurb on new egg) suffered a bad dimm slot requiring warranty repair. My oldest build is now on its 8th year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Commodore 64 still in use 25 years later

Comment

Working...
                                X