No announcement yet.

Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent story there, DanO. I love all that stuff.

Another thing that I noted reading that. People nowadays say the storms are getting worse due to global warming etc, and industrialised man has fkd up the weather systems etc etc......, but an "unconventional freak storm" on Lake Superior in 1913? Surely that means the weather just does what the fk it wants any time?!

And I had to google zebra mussels!

Great story though. There is a luxury yacht sunk in the harbour here at Villefranche Sur Mer. It can be seen very clearly from the promenade area. I'm fascinated with it.
    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• We know a lot more about weather than we did a century ago. By freak storm, they probably mean one that built up quickly with little warning. The 1913 storm is legendary on the lakes. Here's the wiki for it. The poor b@stards on the lakes didn't stand a chance.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Storm_of_1913"]Great Lakes Storm of 1913 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• That really was quite an awesome read. Sorry, that sounds terrible of me, but I love reading about stuff like this. I have never heard of this occurance before ...., and i am fond of reading and learning history. Must've been complete hell out on those waters.
        I find it mind blowing that people suffered so much shit long long before any of us were born, the lake storm, the titanic, the world wars etc etc.
        NO, I've not been smoking french pot tonight.
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• If you had been you would have already surrendered and ate some cheese.

The trenches of WWI stun me. WWII was vast and horrible but I can't imagine being ordered over the wire to try and charge across no man's land into that murderous fire. The American Civil War was a warm up for that style of massacre but the war to end all wars took it to a whole other level. Especially when you consider the use of gas.
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• "That really was quite an awesome read. Sorry, that sounds terrible of me, but I love reading about stuff like this. I have never heard of this occurance before ...., and i am fond of reading and learning history."
            --------------------------------------It was an awesome read............and it's not terrible at all. I have a fascination of history as well, as does Tony. Being interested in learning the history of events is not a terrible thing. It's a good thing.

"The trenches of WWI stun me. WWII was vast and horrible but I can't imagine being ordered over the wire to try and charge across no man's land into that murderous fire. The American Civil War was a warm up for that style of massacre but the war to end all wars took it to a whole other level. Especially when you consider the use of gas."
            --------------------Agreed. What I find incredibly fascinating is the willingness of men to do this throughout the history of war.
            Last edited by DanO; June 11, 2013, 05:03 PM.
            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• What I find incredibly fascinating is the willingness of men to do this throughout the history of war.
              It is because the nature of men is to protect.

Nuff said.

Women nurture.

Men protect.
              Last edited by Malto Marko; June 11, 2013, 06:32 PM.
              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• It is because the nature of men is to blow shit up.
                FIFY

Comment

• Agreed that the nature of men is to protect...., but I feel the trenches of WW1 were just a tad different to a man "willing" to protect. Some historic writings state that WW1 could be described as suicidal....., men knew they were going "over the top" to protect nothing really, it was just an order. It's also been written that some men were killed, by their own in the trench, for showing cowardice. I do agree that it is the nature of man to protect,...., pretty sure all men on this forum would do anything in their power to protect their family, that includes facing death, but I do think the soldiers "thinking" whilst in a WW1 trench is something none of us could imagine. Probably why a lot of them were drugged up to their eyeballs.

Comment

• I've just realised this is the "make your day" thread. Apologies for somehow turning DanOs excellent shipwreck story into the "horror of war" thread.

OK....., 30 degrees C here in Villefranche Sur Mer....., sunny, our last day here and we are off to the beach to sunbathe and drink beer. It's making my day!

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                      I've just realised this is the "make your day" thread. Apologies for somehow turning DanOs excellent shipwreck story into the "horror of war" thread.

OK....., 30 degrees C here in Villefranche Sur Mer....., sunny, our last day here and we are off to the beach to sunbathe and drink beer. It's making my day!

Sadist.

Comment

• LOL!

And WOO HOO....., its 00:10 and we are back in Paris! Journey from hell but I don't give a shit. Got an email this morning saying they were doubling up the 17:34 Nice - Paris train and our tickets were valid for it, but may not get a seat due to massive demand. It was like a James bond movie trying to get from Villefranche to Nice, buses were packed full and we had to get off due to engine failure....., so in the crowds we managed to get a cab, a people carrier thing and shared it with another French couple with their toddler and two German guys. Eventually got to Nice for 3pm....., it was pandemonium....., crowds everywhere trying to get the final Paris train (until Monday apparently) We didn't get a seat, we were on the stairs outside the seated areas, along with plenty other people. Ended up a not bad laugh with a few people. But the ass was periodically numb and had to stand up frequently.

But the main thing is...... BACK IN PARIS!!! FKN YEEEESSSSS!! Couple of beers for us, then well earned sleep. Long day.

Comment

• ........ahhhhhh, gay Parieee.

I want to visit Paris some day just to experience the food. I also want to visit Spain for the same reason. This comes from a guy that is not a fan of traveling on a plane for more than 4 hours.
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I'd love to go to Australia but that's a fuck of a long flight

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                              ........ahhhhhh, gay Parieee.

I want to visit Paris some day just to experience the food.
                              Best Chinese food I ever had was in Paris.

Comment

• Wouldn't mind hitting the European circuit myself as well as Australia.
                                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Working...
                                X