Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
    That doesn't explain why the Wings have been so bad in shootouts this whole year and last as well. They have some guys who can score goals. It doesn't make sense.
    I suspect it has to do with the Coach and what they practice or are allowed to do in warmups.

Often in warmups, pucks are put on the blue line and players come in and shoot on the goalie. Players give a bit of time between shots but love to push the envelope and bring it before the goalie can recover.

If shoot outs are not part of the practice schedule, offensive players will not have time to develop one on one moves.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I dislike the shootout as much as I do the college football overtime. At least they abandon the shootout during the playoffs.
      Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• I do not understand why hockey watchers do not like the shoot out.

One would think they want a winner and one on one is the best you can get in the game.

Hockey enthusiasts love a break away with a one on one, or better yet two on one.

What is the difference between during the game or in over time?

Comment

• Babs is "close" to signing an extension with the Wings.

Good move for both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
            I do not understand why hockey watchers do not like the shoot out.

One would think they want a winner and one on one is the best you can get in the game.

Hockey enthusiasts love a break away with a one on one, or better yet two on one.

It's because a penalty shot or a breakaway is something spontaneous... it's exciting not necessarily because of the play, but because it can happen at any time seemingly out of nowhere and completely change the game one way or the other.

Shootouts are sterile and controlled. It's not quite as breathtaking when everyone knows what's about to happen, and it's completely detached from everything that happened before.

I guess what I'm saying is that shootouts just don't "feel" right.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
              It's because a penalty shot or a breakaway is something spontaneous... it's exciting not necessarily because of the play, but because it can happen at any time seemingly out of nowhere and completely change the game one way or the other.

Shootouts are sterile and controlled. It's not quite as breathtaking when everyone knows what's about to happen, and it's completely detached from everything that happened before.

I guess what I'm saying is that shootouts just don't "feel" right.
              OK, I hear you but, as a coach at the most primary level, I would think that the skills needed to score on a breakaway could be developed by practicing open ice for the shooter and no defense for the goalie.

....a shootout, if you will.

Comment

• 2002. Kalamazoo, Mitten State. Wings Stadium (Cube Annex). Center ice. One Trickalicious was chosen for the shootout in the Fall beer league classic. The teams were just tired of being stalemated at a 7-7 tie. Puck dropped, skate blades cut into the ice with each gazelle like stride, acceleration, a determined look, the goalie backed up too soon and dropped his stick shoulder.....tripped over the blue line, literally passed by the puck while turtling into the end boards. Went to the bench to a standing stick tap ovation from both teams. Sat and said, "caught an edge".

Very next game. One week later. Same place, same beer league. Went over the boards for my shift, butt first, swinging my legs over, cup rode up and smooshed my fromunda giblets between the bottom edge of the cup and the top of the board. Rolled onto the ice and laid there praying for the sweet release of blacking out from the pain. First line center looks over the board, "catch an edge?"

Shootouts are stupid.
                Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                  I do not understand why hockey watchers do not like the shoot out.

Why is a tie a bad thing?
                  Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• because my sister is ugly?
                    Forever One!

Comment

• "Babs is "close" to signing an extension with the Wings."
                      --------------------------Babs vehemently denied this. Said he and Holland have an agreement not to negotiate during the season.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Wings looked terrible tonight. They gave up way too many shots.

Comment

• Yeah that was a rough one.

Comment

• GO LEAFS GO!
                            Apathetic No More.

Comment

• If history tells us anything it's that the Leafs go nowhere.

Comment

• I am ashamed to admit I blew leafs this Fall. I shoulda ran over them with my lawn mower like other years.
                                Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                                X