OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
    How many of you got a forced update to Windows 10? I've kind of forgotten about this for a few months now. I installed Never 10 from Gibson Research back then.

I'm not totally opposed to 10, especially since it's a free update. But I don't want it forced on me, especially when I've got so much development going on for the new company. I can't afford for something to get jacked up in a change.
    I have never seen Microsoft be so aggressive with an upgrade. As time went on they moved on from asking if I wanted the upgrade, to just assuming it was okay and downloading it with routine updates to try to sneak it in. I finally put a halt to it with a Never 10 product of some kind - maybe the same on you used. I use 7 for my business and don't need the extra aggravation that an upgrade usually brings - software and hardware that suddenly stops working.

10 might be the best thing ever, but the way Microsoft handled it got under my skin.

Comment

• Just to note. I personally love 10 but I can see how it can be worry for some. But time is running out on the free upgrade for people who have held off.
      AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

How many of you got a forced update to Windows 10? I've kind of forgotten about this for a few months now. I installed Never 10 from Gibson Research back then.

I'm not totally opposed to 10, especially since it's a free update. But I don't want it forced on me, especially when I've got so much development going on for the new company. I can't afford for something to get jacked up in a change.
        I did it because I did not like the issues with 8.1

Originally posted by Drew View Post
        My computer asked me everyday to upgrade to 10 until I just fucking did it.

I use what used to be my wife's laptop. It came with 8, but we used a "run like 7" program. It got really slow because my wife clicks on things like "click here to see why Brad and Angelina split"

10 is better than 8 was, but I wonder, why was 8 ever released on us as fucking bad as it was. 7 was bearable, and I remember feeling that what 7 replaced was okay too.

BTW, frequent updates for all the world's phones and computers (must be a few billion) and antivirus is a GREAT opportunity to collect meta-data on a regular basis.

I'm sure when we skip that 57 page user agreement, there is something in there that authorizes government monitoring if a certain condition (which will always be true) is true.

Why is there a 57 page user agreement? I feel I already understand, I just don't know why it isn't obvious to everyone else. So they can sneak underhanded stuff past you.

You sure the fuck can't disagree and still run a computer or a phone.
        Yup on 8 and Yup on user agreements.

Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
        I have never seen Microsoft be so aggressive with an upgrade. As time went on they moved on from asking if I wanted the upgrade, to just assuming it was okay and downloading it with routine updates to try to sneak it in. I finally put a halt to it with a Never 10 product of some kind - maybe the same on you used. I use 7 for my business and don't need the extra aggravation that an upgrade usually brings - software and hardware that suddenly stops working.

10 might be the best thing ever, but the way Microsoft handled it got under my skin.
        My guess: They are phasing out the versions you own and moving you to a version that will require subscription updates for an annual fee.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post

My guess: They are phasing out the versions you own and moving you to a version that will require subscription updates for an annual fee.
          So disappointed for humanity.
          ------------
          <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
            I did it because I did not like the issues with 8.1

Yup on 8 and Yup on user agreements.

I don't think so. They still make tons of money on the licenses that ship out on computers and business users still have to have a value license. The upgrade market was piddly for Microsoft. What I think they are doing is getting tired of people not upgrading for both security and support reasons. What users use at home has also been a bain of IT guys because lots of people get angry when you want to change the OS from what's on their home computer.

I think 10 is mostly about avoiding forking whenever possible. Trying to become more like OSX.
            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

why not just run hyper-v or VMware workstation and take the free upgrade and run whatever you want too.
              Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                I don't think so. They still make tons of money on the licenses that ship out on computers and business users still have to have a value license. The upgrade market was piddly for Microsoft. What I think they are doing is getting tired of people not upgrading for both security and support reasons. What users use at home has also been a bain of IT guys because lots of people get angry when you want to change the OS from what's on their home computer.

I think 10 is mostly about avoiding forking whenever possible. Trying to become more like OSX.
                Either option is unFUCKINGacceptable. Without me knowing, tricks get loaded on to my HOME computer and mobile so I may fall for them, and without feeling like I want to think about it, spend my money on their products.

Whether or not I find that trick in the user agreement is irrelevant, I have no choice and I can't get started until I click the agree button.
                ------------
                <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Hope this goes ahead

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_BPVrZF7vg[/ame]

Be good to see if it would actually have made it across.
                  AAL Quintez Cephus
                  If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• Dish and Sling TV cut a deal for NFL Network streams

www.engadget.com/2016/08/03/nfl-network-dish-sling-tv-deal

Comment

• Thursday night games will be available. No Sunday Ticket, though.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Yep.

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
                          Dish and Sling TV cut a deal for NFL Network streams

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/03/...-sling-tv-deal
                          Your link broke.

That didn't last long. On the heels of Dish Network deal with the NFL expiring, the company has announced that Sling TV (owned by Dish, of course) will have the NFL Network and NFL RedZone available for the 2016 season. Neither the streaming service or the NFL have said anything about pricing yet, but those details will shore up soon. It's part of a bigger deal with Dish, as well, with the aforementioned channels coming back to Dish's satellite customers as well.
                          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• LOL, I guess mine did too.
                            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Both links work for me if I click them.
                              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                                Both links work for me if I click them.
                                They work for me now too. Must've been on their end.

Comment

Working...
                                X