DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #5781
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malto Marko View Post
Fair enough, then let's talk about that single position.

Quinn brought in two available players that had experience at that position and could easily be starting grade caliber. Training camp will determine that.

With that said, he brought in two, both with a really good potential of being a starter, when Mayhew may have brought in one, and Millen would have shouted "Next Man Up!" down the hallway.

The guy Mayhew would have brought in is questionable but, he would not have brought in two of the best available, he would have settled for one and moved on.

I suspect it is this kind of philosophy he is alluding to.
And so has every other GM Detroit has ever had.

By every measure the two guys Quinn brought in are busts, this idea that they have potential is wishful thinking. If you go back and look at Meyhews's pick-ups, most of them had as much upside as these two. But Detroit is not the team players go to to revive their careers.

For the record, Stafford is a Meyhew pick.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #5782
Malto Marko

The only measure that counts right now is Training Camp. If they both turn out to be busts, you are correct, wishful thinking was the reasoning. Wishful thinking is what the Lions Org feeds us every year but I am in agreement with you and many others that the results are more important.

I agree that Detroit is not a destination for players to revive their career but rather a place to enrich themselves while sitting in the hot tub.

Not sure why you are bringing up Stafford and Mayhew because that has nothing to do with Quinn replacing the LT with two prospects.
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #5783
dwt1

They already are busts, that's already been established by their play for other teams.

Brought up Meyhew because you put his talent decision making in question.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #5784
Cody_Russell

Anything can happen:

Top 15 NFL Draft Busts Who Salvaged Their Careers
http://www.thesportster.com/football...their-careers/
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM   #5785
Malto Marko

Well, it is true that they have played for other teams but I don't know enough about either one to classify them as a bust.

By your definition, Keith Van Noy is a bust also because the Lions gave up on him but he seemed to play pretty well for NE.

Some times a change of scenery is like a shot of ammonia to the senses and wakes one up pretty quickly.