• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server error.

Comment

• Q&A
      WAZA OWNER TRADES HIMSELF TO LAS VEGAS
      By Carlos Monarrez Detroit Free Press

How often does a team owner trade himself? Probably not very often. But in the high-flying, fun and zany world of indoor pro soccer, that happened this week when Detroit native Dominic Scicluna, co-owner, assistant coach and forward on the Detroit Waza Flo, basically traded himself to the Las Vegas Legends. The Free Press caught up with Scicluna on the phone to talk about the wild trade and Waza Flo, which competes in the top-tier Major Arena Soccer League and plays its penultimate regular-season home game at 7:05 tonight against the Harrisburg Heat at Melvindale Civic Arena.

How the heck did you trade yourself?

Scicluna: “So, basically, because we’re known for our technique and developing creative players (and) this guy (Legends owner) Meir Cohen out here in Las Vegas, who is a visionary and has respect for players and people with flair and people that know how to market the game, he, out of nowhere, calls my brother (Waza co-owner Mario Scicluna). … They brought up bringing me to help take their soccer promotion and entertainment aspect to the next level. … I couldn’t believe my ears and giggled to myself. I’m about to be 43 and they’re hiring me to play, they’re hiring me to do assistant coach, and they’re hiring me to be the player personnel director. … So, I thought I might as well shock the whole community and world and just go for it and see what it opens up. So I talked to Meir and what I needed (in trade) to go and he came pretty close (cash and future player considerations), so I decided to shake things up like I always do.”

Since you’re the owner and acoach with Waza, when you would have a bad game, who would chew you out? Did you just yell at the mirror?

Scicluna: “If I could clone myself, I’d beat my own butt. No. 2, I’ve been the guy who’s taken himself out of lineups numerous times when I’ve wanted to play and I’ve given other kids opportunities. … We have a staff of people, and we all have checks and balances.”

Can you explain how Waza uses “freestyle” moves during games?

Scicluna: “Mario (along with brother and Waza midfielder Tino Scicluna) and I incorporated it. And to give it that Detroit Motown touch, we incorporated our break dancing. When we were young, we were called the Cosmic Crew, and now it’s turned into the Detroit Waza. So we incorporate the B-boying and the break dancing. And as a side hobby, I write my own soccer hip-hop songs.”

Wait. What? Give me a name of one of those songs.

Scicluna: “One of them’s called ‘Eenie, meenie miney mo, catcha Waza by the toe.’”

Waza is 3-12 in its first year in the Major Arena Soccer League (MASL).

How tough has this season been?

Scicluna: “I’m not happy at losing anything. I wouldn’t even want to lose a game of badminton against my grandma. But I have to take something out of each thing that happens. Every single fan that came to our game that had never been to a (Waza) game before were unbelievably impressed with the action, the power, the speed and how it was similar to hockey.”

Will you return to play for Waza next season?

Scicluna: “I don’t know the future. But I will not stay away long from my baby that I created with my brother.”

Contact Carlos Monarrez: cmonarrez@freepress.com  . Follow him on Twitter @cmonarrez.

SPECIAL TO THE FREE PRESS Co-owner, coach and forward of the Detroit Waza Flo, Dominic Scicluna, with Las Vegas Legends owner Meir Cohen, right.
      DETROIT WAZA FLO
      What: Pro indoor soccer team. Where: Home games are played at Melvindale Civic Arena. Detroit plays Harrisburg at 7:05 tonight. Tickets: $8, $12. Website: detroitwaza.com  .
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Dude, if ahm here and like yawrrr here, doesn't that make it OURRRR time?

Spicoli lives.
        Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Your cousin sounds like a fun guy.

Comment

• My family is filled with fun and innovative people.

.....it is amazing how old fu**s like me tried to make a living in a traditional way but the younger crowd makes tons more playing and having fun for a living.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickalicious View Post
              Dude, if ahm here and like yawrrr here, doesn't that make it OURRRR time?

Spicoli lives.
              Righteous
              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• NASCAR breaks out the bikini wax

no Busches to be found in the Daytona 500
                The only logical explanation is:
                I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Silly, bikini wax only removes Busch partially. They buzzed him completely.
                  GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Them
                    The only logical explanation is:
                    I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Awesome display by The Cabbage against the tossers from Glasgow.

Do you like the shirt the Hibs are wearing Malto?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2Gfhgv7RA&sns=em[/ame]
                      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Whoa. Everyone knows you never display teeth in a full on open mouth man to man kiss.....even if it is a threesome. That makes it gay.

edit: not that there's anything wrong with....soccer.
                        Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                          Awesome display by The Cabbage against the tossers from Glasgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2Gfhgv7RA&sns=em
                          Marko, help me out with this Cabbage reference.

Is "The Cabbage" a reference that applies just to the Hibs? Or would you use it for any team that you like? For example, "The Lions roughed up the Packers today didn't they?" "Yeah, the Cabbage had their passing game going today".

Comment

• Nickname for Hibs, Bimmer. Rhyming slang, the Cabbage & Ribs.

This was the pub we used to go to every Saturday on Easter Road before the games. Closed down a few years ago due to the Hibs Club pub getting bigger.

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                              Awesome display by The Cabbage against the tossers from Glasgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2Gfhgv7RA&sns=em

Comment

• Let's all do the HIBEES bounce!

Fk off you jambobstds!

Comment

Working...
                                X