No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like a bed, it's nice to have the best we can afford when so much time is spent in and with these items.

A minimal 10 year investment in the TV is a whopping $370 per year commitment. Piece o cake.

Just watched a sick 3D snowboarding flick on Netflix. Looked better than anything I've ever seen at home.
    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Don't even ask how much the 1 year old bed cost. To me, that was frighteningly embarrassing.

Comment

• I like those curved TVs
        WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• I didn't even look at Samsung (leader in curved tvs) after the recent outrage that their smart tvs (if you don't turn off the voice activation) sends all recorded verbalizations it to a 3rd party vendor. Who knows what and how many private conversations were shared. They come with cameras too.

Ummm, no thanks.

I'll watch it and it won't watch me (I've shut down all sharing options on this smart TV). Only DTV can share my TV watching habits.
          Last edited by Panoptes; May 10, 2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• I just like the way the curved ones appear.
            WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• I have a dumb Samsung 55" - very happy with
              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• I have one of those as well Coop.
                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• To address growing storage needs - I purchased last week a Synology NAS, model ds1815+ to get personal home cloud going. I am currently running 10TB redundant storage on two enclosures, striped, Windows raid via esata port multiplier card. So far they've been great but with the amount of stuffs I have, raid and disk protection at hardware level increasingly important...

Got it up and running yesterday. There's a LOT of functionality to this thing!
                  Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Sounds heavy duty Coop. . .do you do anything for offsite storage?

Comment

• no sir - all in house
                      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• What happens if you have a fire?
                        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• That was my concern. Maybe Coop has his disk technology enclosed in a fireproof enclosure? If it is important enough for redundancy, I would think he would want it protected from fire, tornado, maybe flood, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
                            That was my concern. Maybe Coop has his disk technology enclosed in a fireproof enclosure? If it is important enough for redundancy, I would think he would want it protected from fire, tornado, maybe flood, etc.
                            i don't know. Redundancy is pretty cheap, so if you deal with enough data it has value on its own even if data security isn't a primary worry. Offsite data storage on the other hand is another thing altogether. It will either be not up to date, or your spending an arm and a leg for weekly updates. Even if the data is important a scenario where redundancy isn't enough for a consumer they probably have bigger worries than pc data.
                            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• More technology than joke thread

https://youtu.be/dcMtoiU3Eec
                              Last edited by DeanUK; June 2, 2015, 06:04 AM.
                              AAL Quintez Cephus
                              If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• F**k!

Just learned I have to reinstall the OS on my HP Envy TS 17 Notebook PC.

No problem saving my files but shortly after I purchased it, I purchased Microsoft Office that was delivered by download through Amazon. I went to get info on it so I can download it again after the installation only to find that Amazons data base was breached and they started everything fresh shortly after the purchse so it does not show up in my purchases.

Grrrrrrrrrr.
                                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X