No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qbOfnbeH84"]Dear Abby - John Prine - YouTube[/ame]
    "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• I have no clue who Dear Abby is but RIP.

This kind of thing always makes me remember a caller to an Edinburgh radio station way back in the 80's. Not sure if the humour will pass over to you guys but my God I laughed for hours. It was a late show on a Friday & Saturday night 11pm -2am and the radio guy (DJ/psychiatrist) was Andy, and was also a church minister. He had a very relaxed and cool voice.

Anyway, the conversation went like this.

"And on line 4 we have Ralph. Are you there Ralph? Can I help with your problem Ralph? You there Ralph?"

"Aw err, aye. Hiya Andy, how's it mate?"

"I'm fine ralph, what seems to be your problem my friend?"

"Well. Bit awkward, but its you Andy. You get right on my fucking tits mate"

Instantly he was cut off .

Andy continues though "Hmmm. I've not seen tits for a loooog time!"

A very funny radio moment.
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Emmett.L.Brown View Post
        GREAT tune!
        "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Earl Weaver, 82, dies while on cruise

Updated: January 19, 2013, 10:16 AM ET
          ESPN.com news services

BALTIMORE -- Earl Weaver, the fiery Hall of Fame manager who won 1,480 games with the Baltimore Orioles, has died, the team says. He was 82.
          Weaver was traveling on an Orioles fantasy cruise in the Caribbean when he collapsed in his room with wife, Maryanne, at his side on the cruise's ship at about 2 a.m. Saturday, the New York Daily News reported.
          Weaver never regained consciousness, the report said.
          The Duke of Earl, as he was affectionately known in Baltimore, took the Orioles into the World Series four times over 17 seasons but won only one title, in 1970.
          His .583 winning percentage ranks fifth among managers who served 10 or more seasons in the 20th century.
          Weaver was a salty-tounged manager who preferred to wait for a three-run homer rather than manufacture a run with a stolen base or a bunt. While some baseball purists argued that strategy, no one could dispute the results.
          Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-4FSRYagc"]Earl Weaver gets pissed - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by Tony G; January 19, 2013, 10:19 AM.
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Just saw this on Twitter. RIP Earl.
            Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
              Just saw this on Twitter. RIP Earl.
              Yeah, on a Cruise ship with his wife on a Orioles Fantasy trip. One of the best all times. I remember more about him back from the 70's than a lot of Tiger stuff.
              Passenger on the Lions bandwagon since 1969.

Comment

• Rip Dear Abby and Earl. Liked you both.

"GREAT tune!"
                -------------------Agreed. Has a Waltz rhythm to it. I know you're a John Prine fan and that still surprises me. Don't see you liking the country thing.
                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• First Prop Joe (Robert F. Chew) and now Earl. Rough times for the city of Baltimore.

Comment

• Dano, I don't see John Prine as country at all - he can be a bit twangy, but as far as I'm concerned, he is a folk singer / songwriter. And I LOVE folk music.
                    "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• That's interesting, Kay. I find Folk music and Country to be very, very similar. I like them both. :-)

BTW, "John Prine is an American country/folk singer-songwriter. He has been active as a composer, recording artist and live performer since the early 1970s." :-)

OH, and, BTW2........................regarding John Prine's music................[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhEHB0a7Uyg"]David Allan Coe- If that ain't country - YouTube[/ame]
                      Last edited by DanO; January 19, 2013, 03:53 PM.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Certainly there are some who can fall into both categories - Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc. and I love that stuff. I'm pretty much a sucker for a storyteller with an acoustic guitar. But present day country music makes me wanna hurl.

Comment

• "I'm pretty much a sucker for a storyteller with an acoustic guitar."
                          -----------------------Same here. What's your thoughts on Haggard?

"But present day country music makes me wanna hurl."
                          ------------------------------Won't go that far but I hear ya. They've become more "pop".
                          GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Don't believe he ever released this as a single but one of my favorites by Hag...............

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pgg9p3BcRM"]Merle Haggard....Kern River - YouTube[/ame]
                            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                              your thoughts on Haggard?
                              I believe she's more into the rugged look.
                              Last edited by Panoptes; January 19, 2013, 07:13 PM.
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Heh heh, you're right, I do dig the rugged look. ;-).

Dano, the only reason I know anything about Merle Haggard is because the Grateful Dead covered several of his songs, most notably Mama Tried. So I know of at least a couple of his songs that I like, but I don't think I've ever heard his version of anything. I will listen to the one above in a little while and report back.

Comment

Working...
                                X