No announcement yet.

Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You callin' ma daughter a dog ya bawbag?

It was more this I read...

quote:

A NEW treatment that could cure Type 1 diabetes is a step closer after scientists discovered a way to ?kick-start? the pancreas ? reducing the need for daily insulin jabs.

Scientists used stem cells found in the umbilical cord to ?re-educate? a diabetic?s immune ?T-cells?, which can counteract mutant or damaged cells.This restarted the pancreas, reducing the need for insulin by up to 38 per cent in just 12 weeks.

Type 1 diabetes is triggered when the immune system attacks the insulin-producing beta cells which move glucose into the body?s cells.

Dr Yong Zhao, from University of Illinois at Chicago, who led the study published in BMC Medicine, said: ?This is a big step towards a cure.?

Diabetes UK described the ideas behind the study as ?innovative?.

End Quote.

My brother forwarded that on to me earlier today because my searches were bordering useless and I was getting quite frustrated because I knew I read it back in '08.
    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• University of Michigan is doing a lot of stem cell research, WM. You might want to change from Green to Blue.

Edit: Stem cell research was stymied for a while here in the States because the Bush Administration refused to allow Federal funds for it and punished those who did it anyway by revoking or severely cutting any Federal funding they got. Most of it had to be done with private funding.

The Obama administration changed that and U of M jumped right in and is a world leader in the research.
      Last edited by Malto Marko; April 1, 2013, 10:26 PM.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I saw agent Skully google the term "stem cell research" and save a childs life in the worst x-files movie ever. Powerful stuff.
        Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• The pharmaceutical companies do not wish for a cure to anything. What they want is for doctors to prescribe their treatments for the symptoms. They make more money that way. They lobby congress and fill the FDA with compliant administrators.

There are serious obstacles to successful research. The toughest of which is the almighty dollar. Think there aren't cures out there for whatever ails you? Think again.
          ------------
          <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Can't argue that Drew other than the Auto Companies used to be the biggest supporters of big Oil and Gasoline production.

That has changed.

Drug companies will suffer the same as spiraling health insurance costs continue to go out of control.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew View Post
              The pharmaceutical companies do not wish for a cure to anything. What they want is for doctors to prescribe their treatments for the symptoms. They make more money that way. They lobby congress and fill the FDA with compliant administrators.

There are serious obstacles to successful research. The toughest of which is the almighty dollar. Think there aren't cures out there for whatever ails you? Think again.
              Situations like this is where big government can shine. When the good of the market isn't really lining up with the good of the people.

You cure cancer. You get 1 billion dollars (you just kinda cure it but not totally... arbitration will get you piad).

Also consider that Meth is an entirely man made drug and it's so hard to make the key ingredient that only a few places in the world can produce it. All so we can have slightly better cold symptom relief drug.
              Last edited by nhwbrooklyn; April 2, 2013, 06:09 PM.
              Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Can't argue that Drew other than the Auto Companies used to be the biggest supporters of big Oil and Gasoline production.

That has changed.
                Saw a 60 minutes clip where the Saudis are putting a ton of money into gas engine research for how to get a cleaner engine and better mileage. The prospect of electrical vehicles scares the shit out of them.
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• "Got an early Easter Sunday morning emergency call out to a faulty heating system in the Dalry area of Edinburgh. I'm thinking, "great make a few pennies here!"......, I get there, it's a 91 year old lady. She makes me a cup of tea, I fix her boiler (furnace) and I charge her nothing. Makes her day, and its made my day too."
                  --------------------You're the man Marko.

"I'm guessing this is the best thread of any to post this possibly monumental news:

Scientists find treatment to kill every kind of cancer tumor

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...#ixzz2PAxmnQ8v"

----------------Very interesting.
                  GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Got on the Deans list again for last quarter for college. Today is my last day of a 2 week spring break, and I hit the books again Monday. Heard from many people that one of my classes is very very hard and writing a lot of papers. I hope to stay on the Deans list but only time will tell. If I stay on it, I will graduate college with honors.
                    My window of opportunity is expanding.....

Comment

• Nice! Way to go Angeleyes.

Comment

• That's awesome Angeleyes. Congrats. You go girl.
                        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• That's my girl!
                          "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• "like".
                            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Way to go AE!!
                              AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                              2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                              3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                              4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                              5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                              6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                              7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• Big hugs, AE. Go get em, Girl!

Comment

Working...
                                X