OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on Windows 10? I wonder how smooth things will be upgrading everything.

This laptop I use at work has Windows 7. I put Windows 8 on it before, but it screwed up a bunch of the touch screen functionality. I suppose Windows 10 will break it even more.

I have setup windows 10 on VMware and a couple of convertible 2-1 notebooks and it has been smooth, the new version of IE "Spartan" is what I am most curious of. Is it just rebranding or a truly a new browser.

I think any system without driver issues on Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be fine.

Don't forget to check your taskbar to sign up for your free version.

the 4 screen snap is pretty sweet
    Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
      'Free' Windows 10 Upgrades Kill Priceless Windows 8 And Windows 7 Features
      Tempted by Windows 10? You should be.

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.

• Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
      Not a big fan of this, but I hardly ever watch dvds or blu-rays on my pc. I do watch videos on media center though. Oh well, there are lots of alternatives.

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post

• Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.

• Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.

• If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.

The most high profile removals are Windows Media Center, desktop gadgets and native driver support for USB drives, but the one that should really catch your eye is how desktop updates will be handled for Windows 10 Home users.
      I would imagine I'll go with Windows 10 Pro if I can, because I kinda need the extra language support that I couldn't get with the home versions up to now.

Originally posted by manwhohasstronggrip View Post
      I have setup windows 10 on VMware and a couple of convertible 2-1 notebooks and it has been smooth, the new version of IE "Spartan" is what I am most curious of. Is it just rebranding or a truly a new browser.

I think any system without driver issues on Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be fine.

Don't forget to check your taskbar to sign up for your free version.

the 4 screen snap is pretty sweet
      My laptop is an HP, and it's the graphics drivers that were the problem. I think I read up on some workarounds, but they were a pain to implement. I'll have to check up on it.

I'm also curious about Spartan. It could be really good...or junk.
      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Anyone have any experience with Slingbox? I am thinking about getting one.
        "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• I believe Deb does.

Comment

• I hesitated to respond as I haven't used Slingbox in a few years. It may be a very different product than what I had.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• a mix between Lions news and this thread:

Sam Martin is a top 5 punter in Madden 16. I'm glad Martin is getting recognition.

"Martin has 96 Kick Power and 95 Kick Accuracy with 80 Awareness, and he also helped the Lions with kickoffs in 2014. His total of 53 touchbacks tied for fifth in the league. "

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I am guessing the below average awareness is due to his two game losing shanks.
                AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Right
                  19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                    a mix between Lions news and this thread:

Sam Martin is a top 5 punter in Madden 16. I'm glad Martin is getting recognition.

"Martin has 96 Kick Power and 95 Kick Accuracy with 80 Awareness, and he also helped the Lions with kickoffs in 2014. His total of 53 touchbacks tied for fifth in the league. "

Interesting.

I would never call a video games specs newsworthy and only Technology if it is a new development within the category.

Read: Who gives a shit what Madden thinks?
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                      Interesting.
                      I would never call a video games specs newsworthy and only Technology if it is a new development within the category.
                      Read: Who gives a shit what Madden thinks?
                      Video games are technology and geek stuff ... also, Madden is one of the most successful video games in history. It's only been around since 1988. (it's kind of a big deal).
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• No, not really.

It is only a big deal to those who enjoy playing video games and specifically football video games.

If big deal means they make a lot of money, then yup it is a big deal.

Kids have been spending their parents money on toys for generations and when the kids grow up, so does their inventory of toys as well as the cost of them.

My new Monopoly game board has new technology but that is not very newsworthy.

Comment

• I did the free Windows 10 upgrade last week (super smooth upgrade, happy with it). The new Edge browser seems good. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or if it really is the browser, but when I copy and paste Lions articles using this browser, it's been keeping the paragraph spacing quite nicely. That's something IE had not been doing for me.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I just did win 10 upgrade ...have not really used yet but the process was very smooth..

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Comment

• I just did it yesterday. Everything seems to be working ok. I'm having to get used to using the start button to power down again now.
                              2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• I have been waiting to hear how people like it before I took the plunge.

Within the last 6 weeks, my OS has not been able to complete updates.

I called the manufacturer as I have an extended warranty and their only solution was to back up my files, restore the unit to its original settings, reinstall my programs then transfer back my files.

I have been avoiding this as it is a time consuming hassle.

Does anyone know that if I upgrade, this issue may resolve itself?

I am running 8.1.

Comment

Working...
                                X