• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
    RIP Former coach and general manager of the Detroit Red Wings Bryan Murray
    Statement on the Passing of Former Head Coach and GM Bryan Murray
    by Anaheim Ducks

AnaheimDucks.com
    August 12th, 2017 Share

The Anaheim Ducks family mourns the loss of Bryan Murray, who passed away this morning. As both head coach and general manager of the team (2001-2004), Bryan led our organization with class, dignity and charisma.

He won 620 games as an NHL head coach and led three teams to the Stanley Cup Final, including 2003, when he served as the architect of our amazing run.

But Bryan's legacy goes far beyond his success on the ice, including his courageous fight with cancer and countless contributions to the communities he served. He will be forever remembered by all he touched.

Bryan Murray Bio

Murray served as head coach of the then Mighty Ducks of Anaheim during the 2001-02 season and moved to the position of Senior Vice President and General Manager the following season. It was in that position he oversaw the team that advanced to the 2003 Stanley Cup Final before falling to the New Jersey Devils in seven games.

Murray held the post of Ducks GM until 2004, when he was hired as head coach of the Ottawa Senators, leading them to the playoffs in each of his first two seasons. That included advancing to the 2007 Stanley Cup Final, where his Senators lost to the Ducks in five games.

Murray was promoted to GM of the Senators just two weeks after that '07 Cup Final and returned to serve as interim coach near the end of the 2007-08 season, where he again led the Sens into the postseason.

In addition to his coaching stints with the Ducks and Senators, Murray served as head coach of the Washington Capitals, Detroit Red Wings and Florida Panthers and compiled a record of 620-465-131-23 in 1,239 games. On February 20, 2007, he became the fifth NHL coach to reach 600 victories, at the time the most wins among active NHL coaches. In his 13 full NHL seasons as head coach, Murray took his teams to the playoffs 12 times.

Murray spent 22 seasons as a general manager, including four with the Detroit Red Wings (1990 to 1994), six-plus with the Florida Panthers (1994 to 2000) and two with Anaheim (2002 to 2004).

He led teams to the Stanley Cup Final three times, and as GM of the Ducks, oversaw the 2003 NHL Draft in which Anaheim selected future franchise icons Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in the first round.

Murray was one of 10 children born to Clarence and Rhoda Murray on December 5, 1942 in the small Ottawa Valley town of Shawville, Quebec. The prominent hockey family includes Bryan's brother Terry, who coached the Washington Capitals, Philadelphia Flyers, Florida Panthers and Los Angeles Kings, and nephew Tim, who served under Bryan as Assistant GM of the Senators and later served as the GM of the Buffalo Sabres.

Bryan is survived by his wife, Geri, and two daughters, Heide and Brittany.
    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• I liked Bryan Murray and always felt he got screwed out of the opportunity to build the team his way. Scotty Bowman was forced on him and that pretty much sealed his fate. It worked out for the Wings and for the fans but I always felt for the guy.

He did make some good moves. He acquired Dino Ciccarelli for Joey Kocur. He also acquired Paul Coffey and while a lot of people were glad to see him go, Coffey was the reason the Wings' power play finally took off. It was so maddening watching that unit before he got here.

Comment

• Too bad we got Coffee in his twilight years.

I still proudly wear a customized throwback with Coffey's name and numbers.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Well Holland is at it again. He's spent all of his money already and low balled Andreas Athanasiou who should have been a priority in the offseason.

Now AA is strongly considering returning to the KHL. Holland and Blashit are perfect for each other
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• "It's a man's league." ~ Ken "Get Fired Please" Holland.

Comment

• I have no idea why he's still the GM. He's really leading us down a Matt Millen type path.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Did any of you see this whicked goal yesterday?

Would that be allowed in the NHL?

[ame]https://youtu.be/AOffxTQtwOQ[/ame]

Comment

• Yeah this move was going around the NHL for awhile many years ago. As long as he's not swinging above the crossbar its gravy.
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Started with Michigans Mike Legg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TPk4RGqwVo"]Mike Legg - &#39;The Michigan Goal&#39; - Full Sequence - March 24, 1996 (High Quality) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Yup. If I'm not mistaken Darren McCarty scored one of those as well
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Red Wings are tied for dead last odds to win the Cup at 200-1

Ken Holland announced Dan Cleary now director of player development.

Any and all former players on the payroll - Cronyism on its finest display

Dumpster Fire!! Go Blue!

Comment

• I hate Kenny Holland.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Only $85 for a vial of melted ice from the Joe - and Free shipping too!

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                              Totally worth it with this certificate of authenticity. (raising useless piece of paper to the sky).

Now a set of 4 box seats for like $500, that would be cool.

Comment

• People will buy the dumbest shit
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X