DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old April 29th, 2018, 12:21 PM   #21
BJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreton View Post
I hope he recovers. Life is bigger than sports.
Agreed. My father-in-law was diagnosed with amyloidosis last year. In his case, the disease essentially attacked his kidneys. After a year of chemotherapy they seemed to have halted the progression of the disease, but it was a tough year for him, my mother-in-law, and my wife. Whatever Millen’s failings were as a GM, I do wish him the best in his recovery.
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 29th, 2018, 01:39 PM   #22
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post
Oh now he covets my heart after running over the rest of me for too many years?
Dude, you have no heart.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 29th, 2018, 01:42 PM   #23
dwt1

Shows you how fragile life is.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 29th, 2018, 06:53 PM   #24
unknown lions fan

Yeah, how dare you not virtue signal when given the opportunity Gonz. Life is bigger than sports, you know...
unknown lions fan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 29th, 2018, 07:03 PM   #25
Panoptes

Speaking of virtue signaling, I couldn't take another minute after day 2 of that one handed football player that everyone was conspiring to get drafted. It was sickening.

If his brothers team didn't draft him, he wasn't going to get picked in 7 rounds. Thats what the honest NFL was showing without blathering on and on about it.

pands

Life is way bigger than sports AND Millen.

Last edited by Panoptes; April 29th, 2018 at 07:18 PM.
Panoptes is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:14 AM   #26
-Deborah-

Ex-Lions president Matt Millen, battling illness, reflects on his tenure in Detroit
By Ken Haddad
Posted: 10:11 AM, May 14, 2018
Updated: 10:11 AM, May 14, 2018

Former Detroit Lions CEO Matt Millen is suffering from a rare disease that might force him to seek a heart transplant.

Millen, who returned to sports broadcasting after his departure from Detroit in 2008, told The Morning Call that he's battling amyloidosis.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Millen, who is undergoing chemotherapy treatment, reflected on his career, including his time in Detroit.

Millen was asked if he enjoyed his time in Detroit.

“Yes,” he told SI writer Peter King. “I enjoyed—I did not like the process because of the reality of what it is. Really when I take my steps back, I was not ready at all. Not even close. I was in over my head. And by the time I figured it out, it wasn’t necessarily too late, but we were in pretty deep.”

Millen also talked about a draft pick he regrets.

“The one that killed me was Mike Williams,” Millen said. “That was just so stupid Pete. It’s like my brain fell off my head. Why would I do that?”

King asked Millen how it happened.

“I listened to the group. They thought if they got Mike Williams and paired him with Roy Williams that in the red zone we could do all these things. And I was like okay. Do you realize at that time, when we were just about ready to pick, I had DeMarcus Ware on the phone? And I said, ‘All right, take Mike Williams.’ My son was in the draft room with us, and that’s when my son punched me. What a dope I was.”

“How football history could have changed if you picked Ware instead of Mike Williams,” King said.

“How ‘bout that?” Millen said. “Maybe we would have ruined him too.”

According to the Mayo Clinic, Amyloidosis (am-uh-loi-DO-sis) is a rare disease that occurs when a substance called amyloid builds up in your organs. Amyloid is an abnormal protein that is produced in your bone marrow and can be deposited in any tissue or organ.

Amyloidosis can affect different organs in different people, and there are different types of amyloid.Amyloidosis frequently affects the heart, kidneys, liver, spleen, nervous system and digestive tract. Severe amyloidosis can lead to life-threatening organ failure. There's no cure for amyloidosis.

Millen told the paper the disease is attacking his heart.

According to the paper, Millen's heart is working at around 30 percent of capacity, and he is believed to eventually need a heart transplant. Millen has been undergoing chemotherapy once a week for the past eight months.

Millen was diagnosed last summer after years with chest pain. "I know what you have, and you're not going to like it," Millen said the doctors told him, according to The Morning Call.

Millen spent seven years as the CEO and de facto general manager of the Detroit Lions, between 2001 and 2008.

Copyright 2018 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:19 AM   #27
Panoptes

I was at that draft in NYC to watch D Ware become a Lion (and future HOF) and had the effin rug pulled out from underneath me when they drafted an out of football WR (another WR). So pissed off at that point I would never forgive MILLIOT, as I called him since then.

Until now. With this plain as day confession, I forgive you Matt Millen. I now hope you find the health fix you need.
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:29 AM   #28
Marko69

Quote:
Until now. With this plain as day confession, I forgive you Matt Millen

Marko69 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #29
-Deborah-

Good to let it go, G

So, who was in that "group" that wanted Williams? If Mayhew had a hand in that and still replaced Millen later on...??? I don't know what I can say about it that hasn't been said before. Convention full of idiots at that place.
Old May 14th, 2018, 11:04 AM   #30
Futureshock

Quote:
I was at that draft in NYC to watch D Ware become a Lion (and future HOF) and had the effin rug pulled out from underneath me when they drafted an out of football WR (another WR). So pissed off at that point I would never forgive MILLIOT, as I called him since then.

Until now. With this plain as day confession, I forgive you Matt Millen. I now hope you find the health fix you need.

Agree
Old May 14th, 2018, 11:36 AM   #31
BJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Deborah- View Post
Good to let it go, G

So, who was in that "group" that wanted Williams? If Mayhew had a hand in that and still replaced Millen later on...??? I don't know what I can say about it that hasn't been said before. Convention full of idiots at that place.
Hasn’t Mooch since said that he wanted Ware? So if the HC wanted Ware, who was this “group”?
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:07 PM   #32
Panoptes

I'm guessing the same clown that yelled out, "Calhoun!"
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:33 PM   #33
Cody_Russell

Thought Calhoun was taken during Marinelli’s first year... as it was a coach that yelled “Take Calhoun!”
Mike Martz maybe? or an assistant.

Praying for a quick recovery for Millen. Millen seems like a really good guy. If he is back healthy commentating B10 Network Purdue games again, I’ll love it.
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:45 PM   #34
Masspartan

Quote:

My pick was Derrick Johnson ..... both he and Ware would have been excellent choices.

It is refreshing to hear a story like that, even if the pain of all the losses still resonates.

Never disliked Millen the man ... hated Millen the GM.
Old May 14th, 2018, 04:13 PM   #35
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE STEE View Post
give him Bill Cosby's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
Is it too inappropriate to make a Tin Man joke?

Asking for a friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainevent View Post
He always seemed more like a Scarecrow . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatnod View Post
Didn't he once call someone a bona-fide Cowardly Lion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malto Marko View Post
I dunno about that but he called Johnny Morton a faggot.
This was pure gold
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:12 PM   #36
Coop

-G- memories.

we were at that draft in NYC
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:27 PM   #37
Panoptes

Yes sir. Driving down from Bethlehem (via So Cal) to take the train into NYC with you (Stamford?) was a highlight for me.