Family Book...Forum Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a joke. Lighten up.

I don't give a shit who does or who doesn't use facebook. It's not a big deal.

Really
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
      What's funny is that someone would think that the use of Facebook has anything to do with being an advanced life form. What it has a fair amount to do with is personal privacy. Remember what you put in the cloud is fair game for all. For example, potential employers are using social media more and more, and the tools are getting better for locating what is being said and making the connections.
      So you're saying I should stop posting pictures of Tyler and me holding up signs that say "Fuck the packers!" then just in case I have to interview for a job with a guy who's a packers fan?
      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Also, toast.
        Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickalicious View Post
          Also, toast.
          Toast?

2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• [ame]http://youtu.be/rqmsMTT2liQ[/ame]
            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Glad to hear about DL, the last post I saw from him was in the Bills gameday thread I think.

About facebook, started to use it recently, but only let 53 people spying me...
              Gamer dad, like a normal dad, only much cooler / Gamers don't die they respawn
              🎮 PSN: Thiaugux - 🏆 118 Platinum Trophies
              https://psnprofiles.com/Thiaugux

Comment

• Facebook is a great way to stay in touch with friends and family who you don't see very often. It is very possible to be on Facebook and still have privacy. I have my account locked down so only friends can see what I post. And if I'm posting something that's not for all of my friends, I set the post to be visible by only certain people.

I'm also picky about who I allow as a friend. No current co-workers allowed, for one.
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• YEP!
                  GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Deb, I think you have reasonable control over access by other Facebook users, but you don't have complete privacy. Facebook allows your comments to be read, and your feeds to be manipulated, by third parties that are doing social research. For example, a while ago, Facebook modified feeds to give some folks in the test group more negative feeds and others more positive feeds so that they could measure their reaction. The people involved were kept out of the loop. This angered some in the community.

I am not a big fan of being manipulated, even in such a seemingly trivial way. I just don't trust big business to have your privacy at heart. Your Facebook comments are owned by someone else to be exposed to third parties as they see fit. I just read an article that put it this way, "While you are watching Facebook, Facebook is watching you".

I see a lot of good in Facebook, things like keeping up with family and friends, as you mentioned. I'm sure good folks like CG and DanO can't wait to finish reading this so that they can tell everyone how much they don't care whether their comments are mined/manipulated for social experiments (actually, that might become the first time CG ever said anything that turned out to be profitable ). And in a sense I would agree with them except that each small loss of personal privacy makes the next step easier and at some point you wake up to something real serious and wonder how you got there.

Comment

• Just for that, I'm unfriending you, Bim.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• xoxoxoxoxo's
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Snowden said avoid Google, Facebook and one other major site because they are indeed spying all of your movements.

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
                            Deb, I think you have reasonable control over access by other Facebook users, but you don't have complete privacy. Facebook allows your comments to be read, and your feeds to be manipulated, by third parties that are doing social research. For example, a while ago, Facebook modified feeds to give some folks in the test group more negative feeds and others more positive feeds so that they could measure their reaction. The people involved were kept out of the loop. This angered some in the community.

I am not a big fan of being manipulated, even in such a seemingly trivial way. I just don't trust big business to have your privacy at heart. Your Facebook comments are owned by someone else to be exposed to third parties as they see fit. I just read an article that put it this way, "While you are watching Facebook, Facebook is watching you".

I see a lot of good in Facebook, things like keeping up with family and friends, as you mentioned. I'm sure good folks like CG and DanO can't wait to finish reading this so that they can tell everyone how much they don't care whether their comments are mined/manipulated for social experiments (actually, that might become the first time CG ever said anything that turned out to be profitable ). And in a sense I would agree with them except that each small loss of personal privacy makes the next step easier and at some point you wake up to something real serious and wonder how you got there.
                            I think you bring up some valid points that I hadn't considered very much before, Bim. Thanks for taking the time to explain your stance.

Gonz, without making this political, how can you be pro-Patriot Act and anti-Facebook? If I recall your position on the Patriot Act, detaining folks should be fine. If they're not doing anything wrong, what's the harm? If you're concerned with privacy issues on Facebook, what's the harm if you're not doing anything wrong??
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Fk the Packers, Bears, Vikings & Facebook.
                              "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• I don't go where I know they can watch me with stuff I wants off the record
                                Last edited by Panoptes; October 22, 2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X