Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
    Grantland article on why Jim Harbaugh should go to Michigan

The author doesn't think he'll choose Michigan, but thinks that he is a better college than pro coach. It has some interesting anecdotes on Harbaugh's style, but many of you may already be aware of them.

I agree with the author that Harbaugh is a better fit for coaching college.
    Good stuff...

Mich has got to stop dicking around and get their man.

Pay the guy big $$$$$-don't tell me the U can't afford it
    "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
      I don't see WAAAAAAAAYYY more money to coach at the Collegiate level than the Pro level.

I am thinking they are not willing to pay more than Saban or Dontellio be making (thats for you, Drew in case you are reading).
      I think Oracle was saying that 8M goes further in AA than it does in the Bay Area.
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• So ESPN is currently reporting that Jim Harbaugh is seriously considering a deal from Michigan worth reportedly 50 million dollars. Over 7 years, I believe.
        AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

• Reports are that Michigan has offered Harbaugh the job at 8M a year for 6 years...highest paid gig in CFB
          "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• NFL Network: Michigan offers Jim Harbaugh huge deal, 6 years, $48 million
            By Nick Baumgardner | nbaumgardner@mlive.com
            Follow on Twitter

ANN ARBOR -- Michigan isn't giving up on the Jim Harbaugh dream, and is apparently prepared to offer its former quarterback more money than any coach in America to bring him to Ann Arbor.

The NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday night that Michigan has made an offer to Harbaugh, the embattled coach of the San Francisco 49ers. The offer, per Rapoport, is a 6-year, $48-million contract.

At the moment, Alabama head coach Nick Saban is college football's highest-paid head coach, making $7.16 million in 2013-14. Rapoport's reported deal would be worth $8 million per season.

Earlier this month, Rapoport reported that Michigan had reached out to Harbaugh about its vacant head coaching position -- which became available after the team fired Brady Hoke on Dec. 2 -- but left that initial conversation convinced he would like to remain in the NFL.

Rapoport also reported Wednesday that Harbaugh has not given Michigan a definitive "no" at this point.

Harbaugh -- who has been at odds with management in San Francisco since last year -- has remained silent on any job speculation in recent weeks, claiming he only wishes to discuss the position he currently has.

"Leaders eat last," Harbaugh said earlier this month, indicating that his concerns were about his team first, and himself second.

ESPN's Adam Schefter also chimed in Wednesday, writing that Harbaugh is at least considering the offer at this point.

"Multiple NFL and Michigan sources had said for weeks 49ers HC Jim Harbaugh was not expected to wind up at Michigan, but in recent days at least one person familiar with his thinking said he was at least 'considering it,' " Schefter wrote. "Another person close to the process said that while it was possible Harbaugh could wind up at Michigan, 'it was not likely.'

"Asked why he was considering it now, but hadn't been previously, one person said now that the 49ers are out of the playoffs, it was possible for Harbaugh to at least consider it. Bottom line: Harbaugh has some thinking to do and decisions to make."

After going 58-27 in seven seasons as a college coach at the University of San Diego and Stanford, Harbaugh signed a five-year, $25 million deal to coach the 49ers in 2011. He currently has one year left on that contract.

However, tension between Harbaugh, the team's upper management and the locker room -- and the 49ers' 7-7 record -- has most NFL insiders believing that this will be his final year in San Francisco.

At the moment, Harbaugh is 43-18-1 as an NFL coach, with two division titles, two losses in the NFC Championship Game and one loss in the Super Bowl.

-- Download the Michigan football on MLive app for iPhone and Android
            -- Download the Michigan basketball on MLive app for iPhone and Android
            -- Follow Nick Baumgardner on Twitter
            -- Like MLive's Michigan Wolverines Facebook

The NFL Network's Ian Rapoport is reporting that Michigan has offered to make Jim Harbaugh the highest-paid coach in America, and that Harbaugh has not yet said no.

Comment

• Who is the person close to the situation, his wife? Why would Jim tell anyone his intentions but his family and agent haha.

at least we know an offer is on the table... and that Michigan is trying to get him. With that money, I imagine Michigan has good backup options too... $8 million a year..
              Then again, Harbaugh is going to draw in more money long term if he is hired. That is part of the reason they can offer that much I bet.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                I think Oracle was saying that 8M goes further in AA than it does in the Bay Area.
                I was saying that and the reported offer is 6/$48-49M...so both.

Comment

• Jim would probably the best possible hire for this program. About time U-M got over themselves not just to reach out, but to hand out some pretty serious coin and a serious offer.

Now, will Harbaugh be able to "give up" on success at the NFL level to take a college job again?

Comment

• He can always go back....

Comment

• Harbaugh would be tied with Sean Payton for highest paid coach in the U.S.
                      Football coaches once again dominate our list of America's highest-paid coaches: eight of the ten coaches call the NFL home. This year's list features three new names, including a new face at No. 1 and a rookie coach with no prior experience at the pro level. Annual salary values represent estimated base pay. Sources: coaches' agents, industry experts, media reports, FORBES estimates

Yea, highest paid in college though. I'm not sure how taxes play into it, but I would think that is a factor too.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Gotta give props to UM for making that offer.

The Michigan brand has been taking a beating over the last decade and that's gotta cost million$, so the offer makes fiscal sense if Harbaugh can bring back the shine.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                          But if the money is relatively equal, he's making WAAAAAAAYYYYY more moving to Michigan. I'd guess 30%.
                          Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                          I don't see WAAAAAAAAYYY more money to coach at the Collegiate level than the Pro level.

I am thinking they are not willing to pay more than Saban or Dontellio be making (thats for you, Drew in case you are reading).
                          Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                          Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                          I was saying that and the reported offer is 6/$48-49M...so both.
                          Wow! Hadn't heard about the 6/48 and that is WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY more than I imagined they'd offer.

Originally posted by El Axe View Post
                          Gotta give props to UM for making that offer.

The Michigan brand has been taking a beating over the last decade and that's gotta cost million$, so the offer makes fiscal sense if Harbaugh can bring back the shine.
                          Agree.
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• 8 million was the baseline salary I thought it would take to get him. His brother makes 7 million per year, he needs more than that. With 6-10 NFL teams in the market, it may take 9 to 10 million

Comment

• It's probably end up at $9-10M after appearances, apparel, blah, blah blah.

Comment

• If I'm Michigan, I'm eating the final year of his 9er contract as well...

Don't dick around...get it done.

Comment

Working...
                                X