DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old November 13th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #81
Da Geezer

Quote:
My guide lists next week's CMU game as the first TV game.
I just set my DVR. It is on regular BTN. I think it started at 7:00 tonight.
Da Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #82
Detroit Dan

Fun fact: All 12 of Michigan's scholarship players scored against N Florida.

Detroit Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #83
Cody_Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Geezer View Post
I just set my DVR. It is on regular BTN. I think it started at 7:00 tonight.
Correct. On actual TV tonight ... so no student announcers this time.

M doing that thing they (and most teams) do by emptying the bench in early games. I made the comment two years ago "wow, M is going with the 10 player rotation" as they played some crap early in the season. WRONG.
Would love to see Livers get 15 minutes tonight.. as Livers should be, he looked like a playable freshman vs NF.
Charles Matthews tho... so athletic. If he can knock shots down consistently, my gosh. DRob has also developed some penetrating ability. As a sharp shooter, that skill helped Stauskas get to the next level. If DRob can be competent at some* penetrating, it will help.
Old November 13th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #84
hack

Game's on but distracted by the kids. I've seen some good rim protection from Teske, but a lot of chaos too. A few hot CMU shooters and a cold Michigan certainly shouldn't translate to this, but it's early in the season and there are quite a few moving parts this year. This could be another shaky December and January followed by a late-season gelling. There's clearly a good amount of talent. CMU won't be able to run its offense and just score on Michigan's February defense. Hopefully. Hopefully Yachlick will be as effective as Donlon.
hack is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #85
*JD*

The B1G broadcasters were saying CMU is a good team but I have no clue if that was just fluff or not. I'll see if I can find where they were picked to finish in the MAC.

Duncan Robinson was quite frustrating tonight. If he's not hitting 3's, he doesn't bring much to the table. He's a weak link on D and when he did dribble in the lane, he usually was met by someone and looked rattled. Oh, well. I think this year, we just have to hope he has the hot hand more nights than when he doesn't. I don't yet see anyone taking his spot, unless Beilein decides to go with a Twin Towers line-up.

MAAR was the MVP of tonight's game. When Michigan was struggling, he had some key hoops.

Teske and Z both impressed me more than I expected. Teske is still a bit oafish, but he disrupted a lot while he was out there and knocked down his FT's. Zavier had some nice takes to the hole and hit at least one key 3. Matthews had a slow start but a good final 10 minutes. Wagner has put on another 10 pounds and looked solid out there, especially on the glass.

Southern Miss is up next before they head to Hawaii.
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #86
*JD*

Looking at CMU, they were 16-8 last year before losing their final 8 games.

And the MAC News Media Panel picked CMU to finish last in their division. So...fluff by the BTN guys.
Old November 14th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #87
hack

Teske has a future here IMO.
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:18 AM   #88
Kstat

Matthews reminded me a bit of GRIII. Really I have no complaints other than Duncan Robinson really shouldn’t be starting if this team wants to go anywhere that matters. He’s valuable but only as a 6th man instant offense type.

I’ve got no major worries about Simpson. He’s a natural point and he’s got way more ability than he gets credit for.

Last edited by Kstat; November 14th, 2017 at 09:20 AM.
Kstat is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #89
hack

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if Robinson is slid out of the starting lineup, because Beilein's never married to his starters, but Matthews looks way too slight, and Livers is a frosh. And there are plenty of players at major schools who do nothing but shoot 3s. Robinson's great in that category and the job should be pretty damn easy for the perimeter players with a 4 and a 5 that shoot 40%+ from 3.

Agree about Simpson. He'll be fine. Especially if that new set shot from 3 holds up. Bread-and-butter drive/dish game will shine.
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #90
Cody_Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
Teske has a future here IMO.
Teske will be in the rotation once M starts playing meaningful games. He is the closest thing M has to a good rim protector.
This is another one of those M teams that will need time to grow. As Matthews and even Simmons get more experience, this team will be dangerous by late January through March.
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:20 AM   #91
hack

Teske is legitimately good at it, and he can move his feet. Might have a jumper, too.
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #92
Detroit Dan

Is it just me, or does it seem like Matthews could take over the game whenever he wants to / needs to? He just seems so comfortable on the court, especially with the ball.
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #93
*JD*

I hope we see that out of him. I think he's still finding his way. That said, he's already looking pretty good.
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #94
Kstat

I don’t know if he’s got the ball skills to really be a primary guy. Think that’s why calipari bailed on him. As a 2-way forward that can play in transition though, he is impressive. Elite type athlete Michigan didn’t have last season.
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #95
WM Wolverine

Very good defender too.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #96
Detroit Dan

Good comments. It just seems like I look up and there is Matthews naturally with the ball and, as JD says, still finding his way. So he passes off. But if he wanted to, he could take it to the hoop every time. I think it's that he is very quick. By the time I see him with the ball, I've missed how he got it. Not sure if this makes sense, but there's something about his game that I'm struggling to wrap my head around.
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #97
Kstat

I think ultimately the season will hinge on MAAR. This team is loaded with quality ballhandlers and scoring forwards. What they seem to be short on is guards that can create shots. Simpson will be a fine PG but he isn’t a pure scorer like Walton. A lot of possessions will come down to MAAAR being asked to loosen up defenses focused on Wagner.

If Matthews becomes that kind of perimeter guy then great, but I’m not seeing it from him yet and I’ve already seen MAAR in that role.

Last edited by Kstat; November 14th, 2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #98
Hannibal

I liked what I saw out of Teske. He looked like a completely different player.

Matthews, not so much, but that's only the first time that I have seen him.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #99
Cody_Russell

Matthews’ performance is expected. An athletic wing that has hardly played college basketball in three years. The biggest concern I saw was how Matthews would take shots way too quickly in a possession. As he gets more experienced in real games, that should help Matthews get use to Beilein’s offense.
To go from high school to 10 minutes per game at Kentucky... sit out a year... then get 34 minutes a game. Drastic change for Matthews.

Last edited by Cody_Russell; November 14th, 2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Spell Check
Cody_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 15th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #100
The Oracle

This team is a long way away from finding out who does what right now. Lotta good pieces, but won't be surprised to see them take a few lumps in Maui. Hope to be wrong.

Also tough to see anything so far since we've seen nothing but zone so far. Will hold off reading too much into anything after seeing something else.

Last edited by The Oracle; November 15th, 2017 at 01:33 AM.
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top