No announcement yet.

Matt Stafford is the suckiest suck to ever suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions just signed a below average run blocking RT, good luck with an improved running game - and Ebron has his back.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
      Lions just signed a below average run blocking RT, good luck with an improved running game - and Ebron has his back.......
      I hope you're not referring to Wagner with that comment. People that cover Baltimore actually say run blocking is his strength but the numbers were thrown off by the OC and the way Baltimore deployed their offense. This is even backed up with his play at Wisconsin where that was their bread and butter.

Below is an excerpt from a Baltimore blog

2) What does Wagner do best? What kind of system (zone blocking, man, etc.) best fits his strengths?

Wagner's strengths involved the run game. Unfortunately, last season, his skills were never demonstrated. The Ravens abandoned the run game with offensive coordinator Marc Trestman, and after his firing, Marty Mornhinweg did nothing to resurrect the ground game. With Gary Kubiak's zone blocking scheme, the entire Baltimore Ravens offensive line played at their peak. Justin Forsett rushed for nearly 1,300 yards, mainly due to the guard-tackle tandem of Marshal Yanda & Ricky Wagner.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I am surprised that the announcement of the Stafford twins was not made for a week. Not so much by Stafford, but Kelly. It seems like she was sort of dis-liked around here early on for her social media activities. Especially defending MS from the Stafford-haters club. Seems like she has gotten less vocal over the years. Or maybe nobody cares enough to report about her anymore? Or the play of MS doesn't need her mouthpiece?

Anyhow, congratulations to the Stat-fords. But you guys know about the Octo-mom right? Just saying, twins are nice and all, but c'mon.
        Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Lions say the right things about Matthew Stafford contract talks

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 14, 2017, 6:37 AM EDT

Getty Images
          The Lions unveiled their new uniforms yesterday, and they sound at least a little optimistic that quarterback Matthew Stafford’s going to be wearing them for some time to come.

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Lions General Manager Bob Quinn was short on specifics but hopeful in tone.

“It’s interesting when we’re sitting down in draft meetings the last couple weeks and we go through every position no matter if we need one or not,” Quinn said. “And you look across the country and there’s really a lack of quarterbacks when you look at across the NFL and college football. So I think we’re fortunate situation to have Matthew as a member of our team and we’re hoping to make that a long-term thing.”

They started talking last month at the Scouting Combine, but it could be another few months before anything is finished. He’s entering the final season of the extension he signed in 2013, and this contract could push the limits for quarterback deals close to the $25 million a year range.

“It’s not done yet,” Quinn said. “We’re in the very early stages of talking to Matthew and his representatives. Matthew’s a quarterback that I want here and he’s a quarterback that Coach [Jim] Caldwell wants here, so we’re in the early stages. It takes two sides to do a deal and we’re working towards that.”

It’s at least more cordial so far than what’s happened with Washington at Kirk Cousins, though Stafford has a much longer record of sustained positive results.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Someones off his meds:

"Stafford has a much longer record of sustained positive results."-BQ
            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• No, someone has eyes and a brain.

Comment

• The Cousins thing is kind of baffling. I guess he is no Osweiller.
                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Matthew Stafford could break the bank, if he wants

Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2017, 2:01 PM EDT

Getty Images
                  If the Lions hope to extend quarterback Matthew Stafford’s contract, they’d be wise to get it done before the season starts.

With a base salary of $16.5 million and a cap charge of $22 million for 2017, Stafford will have plenty of leverage if he gets through the season without a new deal. At that point, it would cost the Lions $26.4 million to use the franchise tag for 2018. The tag would increase by another 20 percent to $31.698 million for 2019.

That’s a total payout of more than $58 million over two years, and that’s what Stafford should be seeking on a long-term deal before the coming season ends. Before the season ends, Stafford carries the risk of injury, which means he should be willing to take less than $58 million over the first two years, fully guaranteed.

At a bare minimum, he should be taking nothing less than his full $16.5 million for 2017 plus the 2018 tag amount fully guaranteed, a total of $42.9 million. Again, that’s the absolute bare minimum he should be willing to collect.

Stafford also should try to be the first quarterback to have the back end of the deal protected against ongoing cap spikes by tying compensation to increases in the annual spending limit. Some have tried but no one has managed to secure this term, which is permitted by the labor deal but apparently frowned upon by the Management Council.

However it plays out, the Lions will be able to do a much better deal if they do it sooner than later. Waiting sets the stage for a Kirk Cousins-type situation, with Stafford getting $26.4 million then $31.68 million then a 20-percent raise under the transition tag ($38 million) or a 44-percent spike under the franchise tag ($45.6 million) for 2020.

That’s either $96 million or $103 million for the three years after his contract expires. Which makes it even more important to get him to agree to terms before that happens.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Stafford is in a unique position in life. There will be no middle ground.

At the end of his career he will either be king, or biggest disappointment in Detroit sports history, imo

Don't confuse disappointment with term Bust, he doesn't qualify as a bust as the term is used.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                      No, someone has eyes and a brain.
                      [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                        Lions just signed a below average run blocking RT, good luck with an improved running game - and Ebron has his back.......
                        Wagner played at Wisconsin. You don't play there as an offensive lineman if you can't run block
                        Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Mediocrity comes at a hefty price.

Definitely not a bust, mediocre is about as good as it gets for a lions fan.

Comment

• An 8 season NFL loser (51-58, 0-3 playoffs, 5-47 versus teams with winning records ) breaking banks.

Awesome. What an eye.

"It is what it is," Stafford said. "We get a ton of credit when we win and a ton of blame when we lose.

"This is a team sport, but at the same time, in this league especially, if your quarterback plays well, you have a chance to win the game. I'm no stranger to that."-9/2013

"You are what your record says you are."-Dennis Greene

I'm STILL WAITING
                            Last edited by Panoptes; April 17, 2017, 03:05 PM.
                            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                              An 8 season NFL loser (51-58, 0-3 playoffs, 5-47 versus teams with winning records ) breaking banks.

Awesome. What an eye.

"It is what it is," Stafford said. "We get a ton of credit when we win and a ton of blame when we lose.

"This is a team sport, but at the same time, in this league especially, if your quarterback plays well, you have a chance to win the game. I'm no stranger to that."-9/2013

I'm STILL WAITING
                              ^

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                                An 8 season NFL loser (51-58, 0-3 playoffs, 5-47 versus teams with winning records ) breaking banks.

Awesome. What an eye.

I'm STILL WAITING
                                You'll be waiting a long time

Comment

Working...
                                X