Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    No, he never GOT another cheap shot like that because the Wings didn't give him that sort of opportunity again. In 1998 he took a run at Fetisov that could have been just as ugly, but Slava side-stepped it because he knew Lemeiux was prowling out there.

Lemeiux was not the least bit concerned about "frontier justice." Neither was any cheap-shot artist. Having to fight some other thug didn't dissuade them at all.
    Hmmmmmm.

I am guessing if Lemeiux has any grey matter left, and puts his thoughts of his career on paper ( which is unlikely because I am not sure he can write other than to sign his name and make out a grocery list) with the help of a professional writer, you will learn that was a lowlight of his career. I am also guessing , that will never happen.

.......but really, you are talking about a player that lost skills and tried to take on someone else that may have been older, but still had more skills, and it wasn't successful because he stepped out of the way?

Lame.

......and I am not sure I recall the play you are talking about.

Would there be a vid to help me realize what you are saying?
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Lemeiux was brought up as an example of "frontier justice" working. I saw pretty much no evidence of that. His behavior didn't particularly change after McCarty bitch-slapped him.

I think you'd find that to be true for EVERY goon in the NHL. That they might have to fight someone I doubt was much of a deterrent, if at all. If it was, you'd have seen a lot less goons.

I really don't see the evidence that demonstrates such hits and such behavior is any worse than it's always been. I just don't see how the "deterrent" angle of fighting actually is valid. That said, I don't particularly see a reason why it should be removed. If it's honestly about the "safety of the players", there's about 100 things that would need to be abolished from hockey first.

Comment

• What is Bertuzzi?

Comment

• I'd argue it was more the potential JAIL TIME that tempered Bertuzzi's antics (as well as age) more than the possibility that someone might punch him in the face.

Comment

If it's honestly about the "safety of the players", there's about 100 things that would need to be abolished from hockey first.
            like ice and sticks.
            Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

I'd argue it was more the potential JAIL TIME that tempered Bertuzzi's antics (as well as age) more than the possibility that someone might punch him in the face.
              .....so then there is a deterrent?

You may be correct with jail time but, I do know for a fact that ice justice works also.

I also know hockey players are bad assed and they have little fear, especially from another player.

They will however, learn that getting their ass kicked does not work well if they want to be on the ice.

Comment

• Of course there is a deterrent.

I'm just not convinced fighting is that deterrent.

Comment

• .....and I am arguing that taking fighting out of the game is tantamount to playing flag hockey (football).

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                    .....and I am arguing that taking fighting out of the game is tantamount to playing flag hockey (football).
                    Well, in that regard, I don't dispute you. It seems odd that the NHL singles out fighting when there a bevy of far more dangerous things that hockey players do to each other.

I know exactly the real reason why Bettman's pushing the change; it's a PR move to make hockey more palatable for the mainstream, one that I don't think has bore any fruit.

Comment

• In 1998 he took a run at Fetisov that could have been just as ugly, but Slava side-stepped it because he knew Lemeiux was prowling out there.

I don't remember that? I do remember Kozlov side-stepped Forsberg who then slammed hard into the boards.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                        I don't remember that? I do remember Kozlov side-stepped Forsberg who then slammed hard into the boards.
                        Ya know... I may have had my memories mixed up. You could very well be right.

Comment

• Ericsson extended for another 6 years.

Comment

• Fighting someone man to man is a deterrent to just about anything you wish it to be. When someone is made aware that he will have to fight you again in order to continue a behavior, they think twice, and most times they quit said behavior, especially if you've beaten their ass over it.

That's time tested.

Also, when McCarty beat Lemeiux' ass, he didn't do it to control his antics for the league's sake, only for the RWs sake. He did it to get him back for something he did to a RW the season before. It was a statement and you can believe Lemeiux heard it.
                            ------------
                            <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Then how to you explain Chris Pronger and Steve Marchant and other goons throughout the years?

When you are paid to rough up people (and many of these thugs were and still are), someone punching you isn't going to make you stop.

Any goon worth his salt isn't going to care enough to listen to that "statement."

Comment

• Did McCarty beat their asses? I don't remember.
                                ------------
                                <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

Working...
                                X