No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As long as its affordable. VIA Rail is a ripoff.

But that would be a nice bit of logistics to have.

Comment

• European cities are just so damn livable. No city is as exciting and thrilling and dynamic and urban as New York, but there's just nowhere to breathe there. European cities are wonderfully packed with little parks and squares that make it possible.

Comment

• We were in Dublin for a week, every bit of space is used, but hardly any of it used on parking structures. Driving there would be a pain in the ass. It was the one day we used the rental car, my mom got into a small fender bender, once we got back to the house that car was parked. Buses, taxis and trains for the rest of the week.

Comment

• That's how every big city should be. Bus, uber, train.

Comment

• Here's some other Rust Belt/Midwest Metro Areas for comparison

Chicago (9,512,999) +0.55%
            Minneapolis-St. Paul (3,551,036) +6.04%
            Pittsburgh (2,342,299) -0.59%
            Kansas City (2,104,509) +4,74%
            Indianapolis (2,004,230) +6.16%
            Milwaukee (1,572,482) +1.07%
            Louisville (1,283,430) +3.86%
            Buffalo (1,132,804) -0.24%
            Omaha (924,129) +6.79%
            Madison (648,929) +7.18%
            Des Moines (634,725) +11.43%
            Fort Wayne (431,802) +3.73%
            Davenport-Rock Island (382,268] +0.68%
            Peoria (376,246) -0.78%
            Rockford (339,376) -2.88%
            Lincoln (326,921) +8.20%
            South Bend (320,740) +0.47%
            Green Bay (318,236) +3.92%
            Evansville (315,948] 1.41%
            Duluth (279,227) -0.19%
            Erie (276,207) -1.55%
            Cedar Rapids (267,799) +3.82%
            Sioux Falls (255,729) +12.03%
            Champaign-Urbana (238,554) +2.87%
            Fargo (238,124) +14.06%
            Appleton (234,079) +3.73%
            Lafayette-West Lafayette (216,679) +7.38%
            Springfield (210,015) -0.07%
            Elkhart (203,781) +3.15%

Comment

• So, I think that once again, you've seen the Nationalist, anti-globalists in the White House lose out ....... And I think he's back in the mainstream, certainly rhetorically, in the way he's approaching the Muslim region. Now, what will his base think (Geezer?)
              I'm not part of his base, but I'd like to give the guy a chance. It seems reasonable to me to switch from promoting Iran and the Shiites to siding with SA, Egypt, Jordan and the Sunnis. Was Obama, in Indonesia, a Sunni or a Shiite? I've never seen that addressed.

MSNBC was treating the speech as a tactic to prove he doesn't hate all Muslims, useful in the appeal of "Muslim ban" which is really a temporary hold on immigration from the Terror States.

Hack, have you ever done an article that had to be peer reviewed? Do you know anything about the procedure to get a peer review? Sounds to me like the FISA courts; sounds stringent, but only 1 in 10,000 is rejected.

Comment

• No, but I do recall a time when you read links about Saudi and Iran and came to the complete opposite conclusion. Those were good times.

Comment

• Anyone been to Cuba and would like to offer suggestions to see and do? Going next week for 8 days...

Comment

• DAMN. Up yours! I was there in college, but only on a resort. We took a scooter trip around Cienfuegos. I hope you'll get some Havana time. Apparently it's spectacular.

Comment

• Definitely staying in Havana/Old Havana and hitting Playas del Este. Would like to know of some "non touristy" stuff though. Very excited tho.

Comment

• Oh, that's gonna be awesome. I'd love to have some time to just wander about there. Don't know anyone else that's been though, save for my parents a few years ago, and they just did a Veradero resort.

Comment

• Jim Hackett now CEO of Ford.

Ontario is moving forward with an ambitious high-speed rail project that would cut Windsor-Toronto trip down to 2 hours. And Detroit may benefit, too, as plan includes possible future expansion of rail line under the Detroit river.

Comment

• Office of Government Ethics wants to see all the waivers the Trump Admin is granting to ex-lobbyists to work for the govt. White House says to the OGE: GET LOST

The Trump administration, in a significant escalation of its clash with the government’s top ethics watchdog, has moved to block an effort to disclose any ethics waivers granted to former lobbyists who have work in the White House or federal agencies.

The latest conflict came in recent days when the White House, in a highly unusual move, sent a letter to Walter M. Shaub Jr., the head of the Office of Government Ethics, asking him to withdraw a request he had sent to every federal agency for copies of the waivers. In the letter, the administration challenged his legal authority to demand the information.

Dozens of former lobbyists and industry lawyers are working in the Trump administration, which has hired them at a much higher rate than the previous administration. Keeping the waivers confidential would make it impossible to know whether any such officials are violating federal ethics rules or have been given a pass to ignore them.

Mr. Shaub, who is in the final year of a five-year term after being appointed by President Barack Obama, said he had no intention of backing down. “It is an extraordinary thing,” Mr. Shaub said of the White House request. “I have never seen anything like it.”

The Trump administration has disputed the authority of the top ethics watchdog to request the names of former lobbyists working in the White House or federal agencies.

It should be noted that while the Trump people accuse the OGE of 'leaking', the Times acquired the letter via a FOIA request

Comment

• Oracle - I've been to Havana before and it was incredible but I have a hard time giving specific places to go. I think that the best advice I have is to pick up a Lonely Planet book on Cuba. Gives really good advice, even holes in the wall, with a lot on Havana specifically. Also, if you can, stay in a casa particulares, it's kind of like a bed and breakfast. You end up living in their homes. Really get to know the locals that way. Make sure you drink lots of coffee....it's so good there. All other food and drink is pretty poor. Museum of the Revolution is an obvious but pretty interesting spot. We didn't do this but I think renting a car would be worthwhile and driving the country.

And to get you in the mood of Cuba, this is probably one of the more accurate ways of talking about Cuba that I've ever come across...really good piece:
                              In which the writer discovers the uncomfortable socio-macroeconomics of the cheap beach vacation

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Significant news...Supreme Court strikes down two North Carolina redistricting maps as unconstitutional for packing blacks into two districts to dilute their voting power elsewhere.

The vote was 8-0 on one map, 5-3 on the other. Evidence must have been pretty overwhelming on the first map that NC Republicans were building districts around race.

The Supreme Court struck down two congressional district maps in North Carolina Monday, holding that the state had engaged in an unconstitutional racial gerrymander.

Comment

Working...
                                X