Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    More encouraging signs for those looking to get rid of political correctness

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/12/trum...h-threats.html
    Dude, made up, didn't happen and if it did, overblown. Anyway, there's crazy people just like that EVERYWHERE!!!!

Comment

• I know a lot of you here weren't even born then but for those who were, where were you in February, 1962 when Jon Glenn became the first American to orbit the earth?

Glenn died yesterday at 95. He was my hero at 14 and had an impact in my decision to enter the Marine Corps with the hopes of becoming a Naval Aviator and wearing the Wings of Gold 5 years later and in 1967. This is a very nice video that recaps that time in US history for the Mercury 7.

Space.com is the premier source of space exploration, innovation and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier. We transport our visitors across the solar system and beyond through accessible, comprehensive coverage of the latest news and discoveries. For us, exploring space is as much about the journey as it is the destination. So from skywatching guides and stunning photos of the night sky to rocket launches and breaking news of robotic probes visiting other planets, at Space.com you'll find something amazing every day. Thanks for subscribing!
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Just few details here but it is the start of the Republicans cutting into the social safety net (which has been a major goal of theirs for years):

On Thursday, Rep. Sam Johnson, a Republican from Texas and chair of the Social Security subcommittee, introduced legislation to significantly cut Social Security. For most workers, the bill would cut Social Security benefits substantially. As Michael Linden, associate director for tax and budget policy at Center for American Progress, pointed out on Twitter, a letter from Social Security’s Office of the Actuary calculated workers making around $50,000 would see checks shrink by between 11% and 35%.
        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Retirement age at 69? FFS

Comment

• Long overdue.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/807387479011655680[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                Long overdue.
                Easiest way to fix social security is to take the cap off payroll taxes for that (currently set at 125k) and just like that it is fixed and then some.
                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Yeah, no thanks. I have zero f'n interest in enlarging the scheme. But, sure, ponzi schemes work if you add more money than you owe.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Yeah, no thanks. I have zero f'n interest in enlarging the scheme. But, sure, ponzi schemes work if you add more money than you owe.
                    Social Security is a ponzi scheme? So in your world there should be no social security?

Comment

• It does assume the future generations are larger than the current to keep it solvent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• That bill has little chance to pass even if they eliminate the filibuster.

Comment

• Social Security is a ponzi scheme? So in your world there should be no social security?
                          I believe it's a textbook ponzi scheme (I forge the important distinction b/t that and a pyramid scheme, but I believe SS is ponzi). I will only get paid what I put in *IF* the government compels people 30 years from now to pay into the SS. The money I put in will have been long spent.

But here's the thing -- the notion underlying SS is forced investment so that those of use who work will have some sort of savings. I think it's utterly fucking preposterous to FORCE people to invest with government beyond $125,000 -- hell, beyond $75,000. It's no longer a safety net at that point. I'd much, much, much rather allow people to to invest that money on their own.

So, no. I want no part of broadening social security.
                          Last edited by iam416; December 9, 2016, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• That bill has little chance to pass even if they eliminate the filibuster.
                            Correct. Only Ds can change SS. Even though it makes all the sense in the world given life expectancies when SS was implemented vs now, there is no way Rs can do it unless they have supermajorities. And even then, it's a poison pill like Obamacare that, like Obamacare, will get demagogued to the hilt and cost them elections.

Has to be bipartisan, and there's no way the Ds will ever make sensible changes to SS -- well, I mean, other than to eliminate the cap and/or means test it -- which would be quite the double dip.

Comment

• A ponzi scheme is a fraud in which people believe their money is invested in something, but in truth it is just redirected to older investors who need to be paid out. Each generation of investor needs to be larger to provide a ``rate of return'' for others.

Social Security is not that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                Hack, the picture cartoon you posted doesn't show-up unless you cut and paste then view it.

It's easy to say "educate" the unemployed/under-employed. I think that's harder to do and do it right than it appears. I also think we've had this issue briefly come up before. There's a disconnect between what our secondary schools and universities are delivering out the door and what an emerging US economy needs.

I think it might have actually been you that posted at some point that the technical skills needed in the US economy explains why there are so may Indians, for example, that are coming here to work via the I-551, often known as a green card.

10 years ago in the construction boom that powered ATL's economy there was a huge increase in unskilled labor from South and Central America including Mexico. Over the last 3-5 years immigration has been coming from India where the skills the US IT economy needs is being met by the Indian Educational system.
                                Dunno why it wasn't working at the time, but had to run. Here is:

Comment

Working...
                                X