U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
    They would have just missed 4 straight free throws anyway.
    Probably.

But an intentional foul bleeds time off the clock, that Indiana couldn't afford to lose.

Comment

• Maybe one more second.

At which isn't they just would have fouled a second time, and we would have choked on those two free throws anyway.

Comment

• Indiana doesn't impress me a ton, either. They did not get anything in this game Michigan didn't flat out give them, including the game itself.

Comment

Indiana doesn't impress me a ton, either. They did not get anything in this game Michigan didn't flat out give them, including the game itself.
          Well, Michigan WAS pretty shitacular on the boards tonight. A lot of that is because Indiana is bigger and stronger down low.

Indiana's a good team, but yeah... I think a lot of talk about how good the Big Ten is is a bit overrated.

Duke and Miami are head and shoulders above all of them. Gonzaga might be too... if we really had a good sample size against quality teams to make that judgment.

Comment

• Easy for the other team to grab rebounds when you don't box out.

Comment

Easy for the other team to grab rebounds when you don't box out.
              Michigan had good position plenty of times.

Indiana was just bigger and stronger in the frontcourt and went over top time after time after time.

Comment

• No, a good number of them were just terrible defensive rebounding. Indianas guards kept walking in uncontested.

They gave up three offensive rebounds off of missed free throws. That's 100% on the defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                  Well, Michigan WAS pretty shitacular on the boards tonight. A lot of that is because Indiana is bigger and stronger down low.

Indiana's a good team, but yeah... I think a lot of talk about how good the Big Ten is is a bit overrated.

Duke and Miami are head and shoulders above all of them. Gonzaga might be too... if we really had a good sample size against quality teams to make that judgment.
                  Big Ten is not overrated this year at all. You can tell by watching the quality of the games week in week out. the ACC/SEC/Big East/Big 12/PAc-12 were defintely playing a lower quality brand of ball. Big Ten has the perfect mix of improved recruitng over the last 5 years, yeilding NBA level players with a year or two experince (unlike Kentucky) and the best coaching in America top to bottom.

Duke has a claim, but Miami is not head and shoulders above the Big Ten teams, that's crazy, they got hot, that happens in a 30 game season. they don't compare with Indiana. The ACC apart from Duke was a win factory for any good team, easy to rack up the W's and get on a roll.
                  The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• The Big Ten looks like it has a clump of five teams that are Top 10 caliber... but have some huge flaws in their game.

Miami, when they are on, can take it to a level I have yet to see any Big Ten team do. We'll see if that's just a consequence of the schedule... but I really am not impressed by the circular argument that the Big Ten must be good because they beat each other.
                    Last edited by chemiclord; March 10, 2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Teams like Gonzaga, even being generous and taking their Illinois loss @ home out of the equation, would struggle like every other team going to a 2nd or 3rd tier Big Ten team like Minnesota,Wisconsin or Illinois. They would lose in Ann Arbor, Bloomington, East Lansing and Columbus for sure.

Gonzaga would be a 6-7 loss team in the Big Ten. Olynk and Elias Harris are Big Ten level players, but their guards would get consumed defensivley by the likes of Gary Harris,Aaron Craft,Keith Appling,Victor Oladipo and the Minnesota guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                        Teams like Gonzaga, even being generous and taking their Illinois loss @ home out of the equation, would struggle like every other team going to a 2nd or 3rd tier Big Ten team like Minnesota,Wisconsin or Illinois. They would lose in Ann Arbor, Bloomington, East Lansing and Columbus for sure.

Gonzaga would be a 6-7 loss team in the Big Ten. Olynk and Elias Harris are Big Ten level players, but their guards would get consumed defensivley by the likes of Gary Harris,Aaron Craft,Keith Appling,Victor Oladipo and the Minnesota guys.
                        Maybe. Maybe not. It's really hard to say because they haven't played too many high caliber teams which would expose what potential weaknesses they have. I'm also not saying they ARE a cut above, anyway.

Comment

The Big Ten looks like it has a clump of five teams that are Top 10 caliber... but have some huge flaws in their game.

Miami, when they are on, can take it to a level I have yet to see any Big Ten team do. We'll see if that's just a consequence of the schedule... but I really am not impressed by the circular argument that the Big Ten must be good because they beat each other.

Nah, this isn't SEC football where they back up their hype against SE LA St. or Western Arkansas. Big Ten was the best conference according to pretty much any metric (RPI,BPI) before the conference sched even took place.

Big Ten teams also beat talented OOC teams like Georgetown,Kansas,North Carolina,Gonzaga,Memphis,Baylor,NC State,Pitt,Kanas St.,California.

I'd put Duke in Indiana's class, but that is it. Indiana has more shot makers and athletes than any other team in the Country. No Big Ten team has been able to say that for 15 years.

Comment

Nah, this isn't SEC football where they back up their hype against SE LA St. or Western Arkansas. Big Ten was the best conference according to pretty much any metric (RPI,BPI) before the conference sched even took place.

Big Ten teams also beat talented OOC teams like Georgetown,Kansas,North Carolina,Gonzaga,Memphis,Baylor,NC State,Pitt,Kanas St.,California.

I'd put Duke in Indiana's class, but that is it. Indiana has more shot makers and athletes than any other team in the Country. No Big Ten team has been able to say that for 15 years.
                            Indiana really DOESN'T have too many athletes though. They're big and they're slow outside of a couple of exceptions (Zeller is quick for his size and Oladipo can move). Teams with good speed and penetration (like Miami) would carve them to ribbons... just like Michigan did seemingly at will with that kickout to the baseline. Difference between UM and Miami is that the Hurricanes have some big bodies and wouldn't be bullied down low by the Hoosiers.

Indiana really is NOT in Duke or Miami's class, not from what I've seen.

Comment

Indiana really DOESN'T have too many athletes though. They're big and they're slow outside of a couple of exceptions (Zeller is quick for his size and Oladipo can move). Teams with good speed and penetration (like Miami) would carve them to ribbons... just like Michigan did seemingly at will with that kickout to the baseline. Difference between UM and Miami is that the Hurricanes have some big bodies and wouldn't be bullied down low by the Hoosiers.

Indiana really is NOT in Duke or Miami's class, not from what I've seen.
                              1.Wow. Totally disagree
                              2.Miami has speed? Miami is essentially 12 Derrick Nixes making up one squad (exaggeration, calm down)
                              3. Indiana just swept the Michigan schools and have SCORES of speed and athelticsm. They have top 50 recruits sitting on the bench. Yogi Ferrell might the be the quickest guard in the country.
                              Last edited by Deuce; March 10, 2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

1.Wow. Totally disagree
                                2.Miami has speed? Miami is essentially 12 Derrick Nixes making up one squad (exaggeration, calm down)
                                3. Indiana just swept the Michigan schools and have SCORES of speed and athelticsm. They have top 50 recruits sitting on the bench. Yogi Ferrell might the be the quickest guard in the country.
                                Psst. News flash for you.

The Michigan schools really aren't as good as you think either. Michigan gets bullied in the paint distressingly easily (and relies FAR too much on their perimeter and 3-point shooting as a result), and MSU can't maintain a high level of play for more than spurts at a time.

When I look at the Big Ten, they've simply become the new Big East; a conference that talks about how great they are... gets 8+ teams in the tourney, then 7 of them are eliminated in the first two rounds because shockingly, they aren't as good as the narrative claims.
                                Last edited by chemiclord; March 10, 2013, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X