Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of reasons those classes developed poorly; Slocum never qualified, Both Zirbel (was set to start) & Schifano (wasn't progressing pre-injury) lost careers to injury, Alex Mitchell didn't have the work ethic... Which is why I prefer numbers at the OL position...

FWIW, its still 'early' for OL recruiting as: 1. These guys were just ~220 lb's a couple years ago and are just filling out 2. You don't get a good feel for anyone other than the blue chippers till they compete in the camps against quality DL.

Comment

I admire Hoke for the pedestal on which he places Michigan football, but I hope he's not kidding himself with a "if they want it bad enough, they'll commit early" type of approach.

It's not like he's new to recruiting, but Michigan doesn't have (IMO) the pull that they had when he was here as an assistant. Things have changed, in large part to what's happened the last 3 years, but it was starting before that.

I hope he realizes that simply being Michigan isn't enough, even if he feels that way himself.

Comment

Report that East Pointe WR/TE Ron Thompson has committed to Michigan. 6-4/210 pounds and is very much in the molder of Braylon Edwards.

Comment

Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
          Report that East Pointe WR/TE Ron Thompson has committed to Michigan. 6-4/210 pounds and is very much in the molder of Braylon Edwards.

http://bighousenation.com/2011/03/27...nt-commitment/
          Other offers...

Syracuse, Toledo, Bowling Green, and Indiana

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into that other offers thing, Hanni. Its been known for a long time that Thompson was a huge Michigan lean. A lot of teams don't bother to offer unless there is mutual interest.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

maybe so ... but I'll rest easier starting to see the 4*'s come into the fold.
              we need to start reaping the benefits of Tatoogate

Comment

Kaleb Ringer OLB on commit watch, M the favorites. Him coming aboard would force James Ross, RJS & company to speed up their decision process. Yes, Javen Ringer is related (uncle) and is considered M's competition.
                Last edited by WM Wolverine; March 29, 2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Decision is set for April 15th but there is no competition for his services, he's a Wolverine.
                  Last edited by WM Wolverine; March 29, 2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I don't think we'll see too many benefits of tatoo-gate this year. If there will be any at all, it will be after OhNo is sanctioned by the NCAA. If they lose schollys or bowl appearances, then you could see an immediate impact. Any punishment less than that, and I don't think you'll see any benefits at all.

OhNo is still OhNo. Like it or not, there are delusional people out there who will snap up the opportunity to play for them, no matter what the circumstances. Even if they are perceived to be a "dirty" program, they're still going to get top athletes to come there and play.

Comment

Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                      I don't think we'll see too many benefits of tatoo-gate this year. If there will be any at all, it will be after OhNo is sanctioned by the NCAA. If they lose schollys or bowl appearances, then you could see an immediate impact. Any punishment less than that, and I don't think you'll see any benefits at all.

OhNo is still OhNo. Like it or not, there are delusional people out there who will snap up the opportunity to play for them, no matter what the circumstances. Even if they are perceived to be a "dirty" program, they're still going to get top athletes to come there and play.
                      You could have written that entire statement just a few short months ago about USC, and it would have been exactly correct. Then, they went and pulled a great class with a lot of players because they could while appealing. IF, and that's a HUGE IF, OSU gets major sanctions, they'll do the same, and they'll chug right on recruiting, too.

I don't think we're going to see any USC slide for a few years, at least until the reduction hits home on the Jr/Sr classes. Same for OSU if it ends up that way.

Comment

I think that depends on who is coaching. Tressel is one of the best coaches there is, and losing him could make a significant impact. Particularly given the need to reincorporate 5 players into the game plan midseason. A three or four-loss season combined with the uncertainty over the future could lead to tough times recruiting.
                        Last edited by hack; March 30, 2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

The USC thing is mind-boggling. It's as if these kids have absolutely no clue what's going on.

Comment

And that Lane Kiffin is going to bust that program, how many violations did he commit in about a year at Tennessee? Now he's takes a program on probation.

Comment

At USC you get well paid, your coach provides no discipline, and you "have" the best looking girls in the country. What's so hard to figure about that?
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

One of the top HS QB's in the country will be visiting Michigan this week. Has some impressive numbers, but may have been an easier "get" for RRod, than Hoke. We shall see.

Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.

Comment

Working...
                                X