No announcement yet.

All Things Notre Dame - The Clashmore Mike Memorial Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really, Mike ... you need to learn how to express your true feelings.... :-)
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Great job, Mike ..... agree with you 100% on the lack of common sense on practice day.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

@ Liney: There are a couple of them out there, but Dodd has always been the worst IMO. Absolutely zero capacity to write something positive about ND...with the exception of hiring Ty Willingham of course...then he was a fan.

Speaking of which, how do you think the media would react if it was an ND insider who published this?:

Comment

@ Buchanan: Something else I wanted to discuss. We are living in a world where engineering and safety are being pushed to such limits that (IMO) think they bring a false sense of security and actually defeating the purpose of safety requirements.

For example, a Soviet alpha attack sub submerges to the point that the needle on the depth gauge hits red vs a US Los Angeles class attack sub submerging to the "red"...which would you rather be on and take a chance by going down another 30 meters? Right... Red in the Alpha means GTFO...but our guys aren't sweating because they know our engineers include a little safety envelope...

But that's not really a fair comparison...a couple months ago, my brother bought a new Ford "Flex". Its a love-it-or-hate-it SUV/Crossover. I drove it a while ago and absolutely loved the thing...had it up to 90 on a highway and felt like I was driving on a sheet of glass...and could hear a pin drop (Ford is really kicking ass btw)...the thing was as smooth and quiet as any caddy or benz I've ever been in. Point is, that it was hard to believe I was 30+ over the speed limit in 4,500 lbs of steel, glass and fuel...and there is danger there. A 60's muscle car obviously wouldn't have an issue hitting 90...but there would be enough vibration and noise to keep the driver focused on driving.

Anyway, I'm rambling...my long-drown-out point is that modern equipment is so well engineered and even over-engineered that I believe a sense of complacency can exist in many areas. Don't know that it's what happened at ND...but would not be surprised if it was a factor.
          Last edited by Clashmore Mike; April 21, 2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

@ Buchanan: One other thing...because I don't want to be a complete homer and poo-poo this issue...and I have to admit that the following is a potential reason for the lack of common sense. One of the possible darker aspects of this mess is that people didn't step up and raise a common sense red flag because they were afraid to. By that, I mean the possibility that Kelly and/or Swarbrick are such strict managers, that nobody wanted to "rock the boat".

We're seeing more and more of this in commercial construction...everything is tight. As a GC, we actually bid some jobs UNDER the cost, just to keep people working (we've got good/generous Owners...regardless how much Obama and the Dems demonize them). Obviously, we need Subcontractors to cut as much as they can as well. In such a situation...it's much more difficult for a foreman/superintendent to blow the whistle and stop work for safety reasons...because now he is throwing away $$$ directly from his Owner's pocket....there are no safety nets in this economy...much less profit.

Now, I don't think economics was a factor in what happened at ND...but to be fair, I have to allow for the possibility that Kelly/Swarbrick run such a tight ship that nobody wanted to upset them, or their routine. If that was a factor, I don't know that I would call it blatant negligence...but it would certainly be a problem that needs to be addressed.

Of course if that is part of the problem, the most obvious candidate to raise a red flag would have been Sullivan himself...but I don't know that I could have ever blamed him....I have to admit that I would walk across a live minefield twice a day to be part of the program if I was an ND undergrad...hell I would almost take the same risk as a middle-aged husband and father!
            Last edited by Clashmore Mike; April 21, 2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

@ Rocky: Just because I've never brought it up...and now you've carried it to this forum...

...you do realize that Rocky Bleier was a Domer right???

Comment

Clash. Assuming you were seriously saying folks would risk their lives to be part of a football program.

I think that's probably part of what happened, but that's a real shame. As fun as football is, and as passionate as fans are, it's still just a game and not worth someone's life.
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Rocky atoned for his previous sins by being a member of the Steelers.
                  I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Safety is always priority on the job, should something happen it costs you more in the end. For nd, it was a student's life. Whether Sullivan was trying to be a hero or someone on the coaching staff not using their heads it was a costly mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                      Clash. Assuming you were seriously saying folks would risk their lives to be part of a football program.

I think that's probably part of what happened, but that's a real shame. As fun as football is, and as passionate as fans are, it's still just a game and not worth someone's life.

I guess that's what I meant. With respect to the whole lack of common sense mantra...I have to put some of that on Sullivan as well...not just support staff. Having said that, I do think that Sullivan stayed up in that tower longer because it was for Notre Dame football than he would have if it was a $8/hour summer job for McDonalds.

Comment

Clash, I understand that nd maybe platooning their qb's this season?

Comment

Originally posted by geo weidl View Post
                          Clash, I understand that nd maybe platooning their qb's this season?

Is a possibility...but more conjecture than anything else, just because Kelly & Co. aren't saying shit. I'm excited for our QB situation. Been meaning to post my thoughts on the Spring game, but fairly busy...will elaborate further soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Clashmore Mike View Post
                            Been meaning to post my thoughts on the Spring game, but fairly busy...will elaborate further soon.
                            What a cliff hanger!! :-D

Seriously, though, Dad and I watched a bit of it on the TV when he was here for the M Spring Game; the weather looked absolutely horrible. Tough to judge much on that performance, I would imagine.

Comment

I think ND fans are going to have a lot to cheer about over the next few years.

Brian Kelly, personality deficiencies aside, is a fine football coach.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Kid dies and Michigan fans think no one should have to lose their job. Sad, sure, but let's not make this a big deal...Brian Kelley is a fine man

Tressel lies about his players selling pins...BAN HIM FROM COACHING PROFESSION AND PUBLIC APPEARANCES FOR LIFE. ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPT NEEDS TO BE FIRED!! PRESIDENT TOO!!

Mike- Much more taking a dig at Los Wolverinos here than a true dig at the Domers, fwiw

Comment

Working...
                                X