Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
    As I said, I can see why locating on a coast is necessary for the amount of water that needs to be used. I can see where locating over tectonic plates is not advisable. Why is it stupid to locate a nuclear plant on the coast where I live? Certainly, you don't believe the oceans are going to rise that much?

I said:

I stand corrected, very poorly said. Government controls (1) the permitting process, (2) the mandate for other forms of electricity production to be on hand when green production is intermittent, (3) the direct subsidies to producers of GE, (4) the direct subsidies to the consumers of GE, and (5) the uneven regulation of GE vs. carbon-based forms of generation.

Wind and sun are common goods. I was focusing on control of inputs.
    Permitting is agnostic to energy source. Government hasn`t compelled anyone to build a conventional power plant against their will. Conventional energy forms are subsidized too.

Overall: it seems to me your approach so often is ``This conversation is going to start from an insane position; I`ll be sane from here on in and read your links; and by the time you nudge me back to a facts-based understanding I`ll have moved on to some other ridiculous starting point.``

Which has become tiresome. Get to that sane spot on your own, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
      .......... Get to that sane spot on your own, please.
      This isn't always easy. Language has a habit of being misinterpreted, misused or both. Internet forums are the worst.

But we seem to be able to drill down to the central issue most of the time. It just takes a while.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• It may not be easy for The Wiz, but let's remember, there's only one of him. Also, let's be thankful.

Comment

• Trump is annoyed that Congress and FBI are wasting time investigating what he asked them to investigate 2 weeks ago. Prebuttal to Comey

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/843779892776964097[/ame]

Comment

• Fox, as the official state news outlet of the Trump Presidency, gets out ahead of whatever Comey is going to say by asking "Does it even matter?". Also note the countdown clock to Trump's Louisville rally, which is clearly the biggest thing happening today (and not Comey or Gorsuch)

[ame]https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/843793510885216257[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
              That Paris pic makes me sad.
              same.. I'm hoping this is just a decade of uneasiness. I'm hoping..
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• What's the context of that picture?

Comment

• did you see the picture Hack?
                  Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Yes. But where/why?

Comment

• Louise Mensch's reporting is being validated right now.

This hearing is making the Comey letter even a worse decision in retrospect.

Comment

• Permitting is agnostic to energy source. Government hasn`t compelled anyone to build a conventional power plant against their will. Conventional energy forms are subsidized too.
                        The first sentence is totally untrue. Obama even said that he intended to make coal-fired plants non-economic to build. Hillary said the same thing. We are talking about one of the two major fuels used in the US (gas or coal) depending on whose statistics you believe.

Second sentence is true. And irrelevant.

Conventional energy is subsidized in the "...you didn't build that..." Obama-style logic. But as far as direct subsidies (like payments to homeowners who install solar) or indirect subsidies particular to green energy (like the waiver that all wind towers need from the EPA), green energy is heavily subsidized by all levels of government. You are again unwilling to debate the actual issues, and you rely on name-calling to make a point. Just because you have no rational answer doesn't mean I'm the foolish one.

I've read a lot over the weekend about locating nuclear reactors. The Chinese are indeed building a ship-based reactor that will be located far enough from the coast to not be affected by a tsunami. If tsunamis are the problem with coastal locations, fine. The Chinese also decided, post-Fukushima, to locate plants inland, but have found that to be impractical because of the enormous amount of water needed

Comment

• Ha!
                          Attached Files
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I'm done, Geezer. Unless you're coming from a facts-based starting point. I'm not going to argue you into one.

Comment

• CGVT- Look at the difference in font size between Fox's two headlines. This seems to be the Republican strategy: focus on the leaks being the real scandal here; the outright lies peddled by Trump and the investigation itself are both very minor issues in comparison.

[ame]https://twitter.com/DJBentley/status/843859063708565504[/ame]

Comment

• This morning Fox asks: Do Americans even care about this Russia stuff?

Just last week: Fox Poll shows majority of voters want congressional investigation into Russia stuff

[ame]https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/843866229668495364[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X