Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
    We simply disagree on this. No investigative entity has had or currently has any ability to compel Billary to tell the truth. Both have been compulsive liars about issues both large and small, and their lies have been subject to a virtual blackout in the media. Again, lying has no downside for them (other than Bill losing his law license). That is the core of what I am saying. Only negative political repercussions (a "cost") from their lying has any likelihood of eliciting the truth from either. And only the political media has any ability to impose a political cost.

Has Billary lied under oath?
    If so, what actual repercussions has lying under oath had to either?
    That doesn't speak to my point, and their lies have not been subject to a virtual blackout. As demonstrated, media have investigated the Clintons pretty thoroughly and been a catalyst for law-enforcement actions. You're saying this over and over but it's clearly not the case.

You may have a wider point about the efficacy of the judiciary system, but that has nothing to do specifically with the Clintons and everything to do with the system they exploited. What's true for the Clintons is similar for others in their position. If Cheney and Rumsfeld hadn't seen what the Clintons got away with maybe they would not have been so bold in diverting the DOD budget into their own pockets. Especially without the independent prosecutor law, so they never had to have their own version of a Ken Starr out on a pemanent fishing expedition.

This is why corruption is so crippling. When one person gets away with it the next person's sense of what is possible expands. With the Clintons it was influence-peddling schemes and Bill's sexual crimes, and then suddenly White House-based corruption exploded into war profiteering by diverting taxpayer money to direct beneficiaries. That's a pretty fast escalation and we are awfully lucky we followed that up with 8 years of a president who doesn't seem interested in that.

I agree with you that heads must roll at every opportunity. I disagree with the disproportionate investigation of one set of candidates for that treatment and the wholesale ignorance/whitewashing of another's. That's bullshit.
    Last edited by hack; September 8, 2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• I think I'm missing your point then Geezer. Are you saying that the media isn't mean enough? Maybe the public doesn't agree that there are lies or that they matter.
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• This entire discussion about the Clintons, Bushes and their agents should be viewed in the context of the relationships of nation states or non-state actors when confronting or aligning with each other.

There is no universally accepted code of conduct here. There are protocols but thoughout history nations attempt to advantage themselves. Not all of this is on the up and up. To try to make it so is just a ridiculous excercise in tilting at windmills.

The outrage over the Clintons coming mostly from the political right, in this context, is a huge waste of time. The discussion about political corruption is a leopard of different strips altogether. It is, as Hack points out, crippling to the stability of the nation state. Are the Clintons, in this context corrupt? Probably but not any moreso than just about every administration prior to theirs. Since the Congress has failed us in most respects of legislating in the nation's best interests, there's a vacuum. Presidents are going to fill it ..... BO is an example.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Can't just be reliant on good people. The whole approach of this country assumes people are crap. Rightly so, so tie them up in transparency and balances of power. It's great that we have BO to walk it back a little, but one guy's damage is usaually a lot worse than one guy's healing powers.

Comment

• Ribbit on both of you. I would go so far as to say that the legislature (both sides of the aisle) have done the most amount of damage over the last six to ten years. The culture of hyper partisianship is a cancer that the electorate refuses to cut out. Perhaps we should amend the Constitution. A bill is submitted and Congress is locked in a building. We open the doors only when they are all dead or they come to agreement all can vote for.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Brown Univ. to Put Tampons in ALL Bathrooms: ‘Not All People Who Menstruate Are Women'

Well, here’s something out of Ivy League Brown University that you probably weren’t expecting.

The student body president will begin the process of delivering menstruation products to all nonresidential bathrooms on campus — including men’s and gender-inclusive bathrooms. The reason for the initiative is to highlight that feminine hygiene products are not a luxury, they’re an necessity.

Viet Nguyen, the student body president, said, “There’s been a lot of conversation about why pads and tampons are a necessity, not a luxury, but not a lot of action. We wanted to take it into our own hands. Low-income students struggle with having the necessary funding for food, let alone tampons.”
              The nutcase foaming-at-the-mouth kook Left now says that men can have periods. Tell me again how the crazy Christians are the anti-science ones LOL

Comment

• I Like it, Jon.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  Damn. Poor Gary Johnson failed a Trivial Pusuit question whose actual answer is irrelevant to the ultimate solution.

The media has finally noticed that the four-way polls appear to hurt Hillary vs. the two-way polls, so they are aiming the cannons at Johnson now.
                  The board's strongest Trump supporter scorns "book learnin", once again.

I know, I know, you don't actually need to know anything about Syria or the military to have the world's best military solution to the conflict there. Sure.

Comment

• Granted, he can always "ask the generals" and call it a plan

Comment

• It would have been better if he knew what Aleppo is and still stumbled through that answer. He had absolutely nothing to say. Even in the context of a problem for which there is no solution. But that's the problem with this kind of bullshit interviewing. I bet they figured he wouldn't know Aleppo, but just asking the question honestly would have provided an answer just as telling and without hitting below the belt.

Comment

• No one has a good solution because there isn't one.

Kurds out on top? Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Iran all unhappy.

Assad out on top? The West, the US, and Saudi Arabia all unhappy.

ISIS out on top? The West, the US, Russia, and Iran all unhappy.

Most moderate rebels are either dead or command extremely little popular support.

Comment

• Of everything ever said or written about this, this is still the best summary:

Comment

• That's Urban Meyer center-right, with the red tie.

Comment

• ...and that is why the best policy is the one which involves us the least. Stay the **** out of that mess. I

Comment

• No chance Don know what Aleppo is, at least before the Gary Johnson stuff. And he still might not.

Comment

Working...
                                X