Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    My son is in size 15 cleats, so pretty much we have to be on high alert at any Dunhams clearance rack. If we see size 15s that are available we have to snag them. Generally on clearance we can get them 20-30 bucks.

You got off easy though. I just had to spend 260 bucks on two pairs of dancing shoes for my daughter last week. One soft shoe and one hard shoe. The hard shoes cost 165 dollars. We've gotten by buying out the used shoe bin for all these years for hard shoes, but the she was wearing were 15 years old and worn out. Hopefully these new ones last, breaking them in is a pain though.
    Wow! My daughter dances. Classes 4 nights a week, trips to Disney and other places to perform, shoes for tap, ballet, jazz etc. I told her between dance and band she is an extra house payment each month. I don't think it as expensive as the dancing that your daughter does, but man, it is still a drain.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• "Then there are the whackos that get pissed if you don't acknowledge their nieces accomplishments."
      ------------------------------:-)

"Part of the problem is that the kids don't play ball much anymore unless it is organized. They don't have the all day neighborhood pick up games that used to be the norm"
      -------------------------So true. When I was a kid we use to play baseball everyday in the summer. We never had enough for full teams but we would play with four or five players a team. Pitchers hand it was called which meant no first baseman. Grounders were thrown to the pitcher for outs. One person covered the left side of the infield, one the right. Same in the outfield. Batting team supplied the catcher and possibly the pitcher depending on number of players......................great fun.
      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
        Wow! My daughter dances. Classes 4 nights a week, trips to Disney and other places to perform, shoes for tap, ballet, jazz etc. I told her between dance and band she is an extra house payment each month. I don't think it as expensive as the dancing that your daughter does, but man, it is still a drain.
        Yeah, we enjoy it though. We try and not add it up. It gets really bad if your dancer is a top flight competitor. Then you have to get sometimes two dresses in one year. We don't normally have 4 nights a week in class. Just 2 days a week until the fall and then its 3-4 a week before the Oireachtas. But we're starting to do private lessons prety regularly.

The shoes aren't that bad, just we've been holding off on getting the new pair. Those old shoes cost 10 bucks a year and a half ago and I've had them retipped and new buckles.

Comment

• So true, I wonder why that is. I practically have to force my kid to play outside -when I was his age every kid in the neighborhood was out all day either playing baseball or shooting hoops. My son is amazed that his MOM can catch pop flys and field grounders, but I was one of the only girls in the neighborhood back in the day, I had to learn to hang with the boys if I wanted to have any fun!
          I think there's a couple of reasons for the shift.
          When we were kids, Mom kicked us out of the house. We didn't mind since we didn't have AC. Where I lived we had woods behind our house and 2 large woods inside of a half mile.
          A lot of that changed here with the Oakland County child killings and just the general threat of small kids being duct taped and thrown into the trunk of some loser's firebird.
          We only had enough to cover the left side of the field for our pick up games so RF was an automatic out. We also had ghost base runners when we were really short.
          The last piece of the puzzle to fall in to place is the computer and video games. I've mentioned it in this forum before but for us, the ultimate expression of freedom was getting your drivers license. For kids these days it's the new iPhone.
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• My mom never kicked me out of the house.....in your context, Tony. Then again she didn't have too. We were gone after a brief breakfast and parental interaction. I grew up in a different area though. So glad for that.
            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Kind of the same. It sucks here in AZ because in the summertime, when kids are off school, it's 115 degrees.

So we actually have to limit time spent outside and force water. Can't wait until your thirsty.

I just love spending the time with him and teaching the sports skills. My dad did hard manual work when I was little, so it was hard for him....he was so tired at the end of the day. I'm lucky because while I'm tired at the end of a work day, at least I don't do heavy lifting so my body isn't completely worn out. It gives us time to talk.

Comment

• I remember walking dog shit into my house when I was 7. My mother changed into a real psycho that day. A child killer couldve been on my doorstep, but I was getting kicked out no matter what.
                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Aww, Nick, you're a good daddy. :-)
                  "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• This is a worthwhile view. Check it out. You'll be glad you did.

Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                      This is a worthwhile view. Check it out. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.viddler.com/embed/70d1d21...ablebranding=0
                      Couple of really good kids right there.
                      AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                      2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                      3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                      4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                      5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                      6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                      7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• More than a couple...seems like everyone there was supporting him. Fantastic.
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                          This is a worthwhile view. Check it out. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.viddler.com/embed/70d1d21...ablebranding=0

I don't know how you do it Tony but you always post the greatest stuff regardless of the subject. Another wonderful find.

Comment

• That is true sportsmanship!

Cudos to the coaches and players of both teams!
                            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• All righty now........

Moved the weight equivilent of about two full sized cars this morning.........

.......got 4 other chores out of the way

.........had breakfast and two nice cups of tea..........

.......hot shower..........

.........ready to go to work and rest a bit........
                              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I hope those were decaf cups of Tea MM......., there will be no resting with fully caffed Tea!

Very similar for me......., I've been in the house yesterday and today....., the chores set for me have been horrendous. Mopping floors and stuff......, its bloody hard work. One chore also had a neighbour come knocking yesterday. Burning leaves and old bank statements and stuff in the garden......, "The smokey smell is entering my conservatory!" ....., as this particular neighbour is about 348 years old, I decided to extinguish the fire ASAP! Silly old bstd, ruining my "having fun with fire" time.
                                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X