No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the North American National Basketball Association, the rule on timeouts is more complex. Teams are allowed one 20-second timeout per half, and six regular timeouts, of one minute in length over the course of the entire game. During a 20-second timeout, only one player may be substituted. During a regular timeout, there is no limit on substitutions. In the first and third quarter, there must be two 100-second timeouts. If neither team has taken a timeout prior to 6:00 of the first or third period, the Official Scorer must take it at the first dead ball and charge it to the home team. If no subsequent timeouts are taken prior to 3:00, the Official Scorer must take it and charge it to the team not previously charged. In the second and fourth quarter, there must be three 100-second timeouts. If neither team has taken a timeout prior to 9:00 of the second or fourth period, a mandatory timeout is called by the Official Scorer and charged to neither team. If there are no subsequent timeouts taken prior to 6:00, the Official Scorer must take it at the first dead ball and charge it to the home team. If no subsequent timeouts are taken prior to 3:00, the Official Scorer must take it and charge it to the team not previously charged. In the fourth quarter, each team is limited to a maximum of three timeouts and if a team has two or three full timeouts remaining when the fourth period reaches the 2:00 mark, one of the timeouts will be changed to a 20-second timeout and it will retain one full timeout. In overtime periods, each team shall be allowed two 60-second timeouts and one 20-second timeout. If a team has two full timeouts remaining when the overtime period reaches the 2:00 mark, one of the timeouts will be changed to a 20-second timeout.

Tl;dr.... Too fucking many
    Last edited by CGVT; February 1, 2016, 07:29 PM.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• David Blatt was doomed partly by his inability to call timeouts correctly in the NBA, he had to rely on Tyrone Lue for that. That and LeBron didn't like him, to be fair the latter was more dooming.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
        In the North American National Basketball Association, the rule on timeouts is more complex. Teams are allowed one 20-second timeout per half, and six regular timeouts, of one minute in length over the course of the entire game. During a 20-second timeout, only one player may be substituted. During a regular timeout, there is no limit on substitutions. In the first and third quarter, there must be two 100-second timeouts. If neither team has taken a timeout prior to 6:00 of the first or third period, the Official Scorer must take it at the first dead ball and charge it to the home team. If no subsequent timeouts are taken prior to 3:00, the Official Scorer must take it and charge it to the team not previously charged. In the second and fourth quarter, there must be three 100-second timeouts. If neither team has taken a timeout prior to 9:00 of the second or fourth period, a mandatory timeout is called by the Official Scorer and charged to neither team. If there are no subsequent timeouts taken prior to 6:00, the Official Scorer must take it at the first dead ball and charge it to the home team. If no subsequent timeouts are taken prior to 3:00, the Official Scorer must take it and charge it to the team not previously charged. In the fourth quarter, each team is limited to a maximum of three timeouts and if a team has two or three full timeouts remaining when the fourth period reaches the 2:00 mark, one of the timeouts will be changed to a 20-second timeout and it will retain one full timeout. In overtime periods, each team shall be allowed two 60-second timeouts and one 20-second timeout. If a team has two full timeouts remaining when the overtime period reaches the 2:00 mark, one of the timeouts will be changed to a 20-second timeout.

Tl;dr.... Too fucking many
        Timeouts=commercials=ad revenue. I'm surprised there aren't more
        Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• The game would be so much nicer and free flowing without them though....We know the NBA is all about the dollar though, like all sports really.

Comment

• The NBA game is free flowing even with the timeouts.

Comment

• 30 actual minutes to play 3 minutes on the clock...... just does not get any more free flowing than that
              The only logical explanation is:
              I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• This team really sucked for the first half against the Pacers. Against the Knicks they completely dominated for the first half. They got a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde thing going lately.
                Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• I thought for sure we'd be a shoe in for the playoffs. Not sure if that's going to happen.
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                    This team really sucked for the first half against the Pacers. Against the Knicks they completely dominated for the first half. They got a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde thing going lately.
                    They are a very young team. SJ is showing some solid improvement.

Comment

• SVG has commented many times how maddening it is that this team doesn't play 48 minutes...You have to like that they don't give up but several times it was when the game was well out of hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        The NBA game is free flowing even with the timeouts.
                        There is no such thing as free flowing and timeouts. Especially not when you have at least 15-20 stoppages of play in the final minutes of a game. From TV timeout, teams saving all their timeouts to take in the last 5 minutes, to intentional fouls which every person in the stands and viewing audience know are intentional and can see them coming a mile away and the only reason they are done is with the intention of putting a screeching halt to the free flow of play.

Hockey is free flowing, the stoppages are minimal and there is actually a concerted effort to get the game started again. My they even dish out delay of game penalties when teams try to avoid starting the game again.

Comment

• Toronto was impressive. Their guards and wings are top notch. KCP woulda been nice to slow them down a bit.

Fun to see Stanley bully them with power though. And Marcus Morris was phenomenal in the loss.
                          Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Kinda feels like the Pistons are running out of gas a bit. Hopefully the All-star break will give them a chance to re-energize a bit.

It will be interesting to see if they make any moves before the trade deadline as well.
                            AXE 'EM!

Comment

• I don't see us being buyers. Our only really trade piece we have is Jennings and our first rounder. Not sure what that's going to bring us back besides more toys from the misfit island that we currently have.
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• On a positive note, Stanley has done the opposite of hitting the rookie wall. He continues to improve.
                                Once his numbers warrant it, I can see him being a more vocal leader.

Comment

Working...
                                X