No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony, what's the relevance of those last 3 posts?
    "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Should start a "In this day of History" thread.

Lots on interesting stuff in those posts.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
        Tony, what's the relevance of those last 3 posts?
        Hmm there were celebrities on the lists and they died?

Someone up thread said they liked the info. I'll start a new one.
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Former MLB player Frank Castillo dies

By CNN Staff
          updated 1:33 AM EDT, Tue July 30, 2013

Former MLB pitcher Frank Castillo went swimming Sunday in an Arizona lake. He did not resurface.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
          • Frank Castillo drowned while swimming in a lake in Arizona
          • His body was found Monday; he was 44
          • Castillo played for the Chicago Cubs, Boston Red Sox and others

(CNN) -- Former Major League Baseball pitcher Frank Castillo drowned while swimming in a lake near Phoenix, Arizona, authorities said Monday. He was 44.
          Castillo and a friend were on a pontoon boat Sunday at Bartlett Lake, according to a statement from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office. Castillo got into the water to go swimming. He did not resurface.
          Sheriff's deputies searched the area and recovered Castillo's body Monday afternoon, the statement said.
          Castillo made his MLB debut in 1991.
          Throughout his career, he played for the Chicago Cubs, Colorado Rockies, Detroit Tigers, Toronto Blue Jays, Boston Red Sox and Florida Marlins.
          Castillo's family released a statement to CNN affiliate KVIA, thanking friends and fans for their support.
          "Frank was a wonderful son, terrific brother, and an extraordinary father to his two beautiful girls," it read. "Everyone who knew Frank loved Frank. We are devastated by this loss."
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• RIP Frank.

I didn't realise there were lakes in Arizona. I think of Arizona as wall to wall desert......., or as my daughter once wrote in an essay about a desert.... "wall to wall dessert.
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Kinda surprised nobody mentioned JJ Cale passing away over the weekend....
              on top of writing for Clapton,Skynyrd & others he also played guitar on the majority of Bob Seger's 1973 album "Back In '72"

Musician JJ Cale dies; wrote Clapton, Skynyrd hits

CHRIS TALBOTT July 28, 2013 MusicArts & EntertainmentEric ClaptonJJ Cale

If musicians were measured not by the number of records they sold but by the number of peers they influenced, JJ Cale would have been a towering figure in 1970s rock 'n' roll.
              His best songs like "After Midnight," ''Cocaine" and "Call Me the Breeze" were towering hits — for other artists. Eric Clapton took "After Midnight" and "Cocaine" and turned them into the kind of hard-party anthems that defined rock for a long period of time. And Lynyrd Skynyrd took the easy-shuffling "Breeze" and supercharged it with a three-guitar attack that made it a hit.
              Cale, the singer-songwriter and producer known as the main architect of the Tulsa Sound, passed away Friday night at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla, Calif. His manager, Mike Kappus, said Cale died of a heart attack. He was 74.
              While his best known songs remain in heavy rotation on the radio nearly 40 years later, most folks wouldn't be able to name Cale as their author. That was a role he had no problem with.
              "No, it doesn't bother me," Cale said with a laugh in an interview posted on his website. "What's really nice is when you get a check in the mail."
              And the checks rolled in for decades. The list of artists who covered his music or cite him as a direct influence reads like a who's who of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — Clapton, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Mark Knopfler, The Allman Brothers, Carlos Santana, Captain Beefheart and Bryan Ferry among many others.
              Young said in Jimmy McDonough's biography "Shakey" that Cale and Jimi Hendrix were the best guitar players he had ever heard. And in his recent memoir "Waging Heavy Peace," Young said Cale's "Crazy Mama" — his biggest hit, rising to No. 22 on the Billboard singles chart — was one of the five songs that most influenced him as a songwriter: "The song is true, simple, and direct, and the delivery is very natural. JJ's guitar playing is a huge influence on me. His touch is unspeakable."
              It was Clapton who forged the closest relationship with Cale. They were in sync musically and personally. Clapton also recorded Cale songs "Travelin' Light" and "I'll Make Love To You Anytime" and included the Cale composition "Angel" on his most recent album, "Old Sock." Other songs like "Layla" didn't involve Cale, but clearly owe him a debt. The two also collaborated together on "The Road to Escondido," which won the Grammy Award for best contemporary blues album in 2008.

Clapton once told Vanity Fair that Cale was the living person he most admired, and Cale weighed the impact Clapton had on his life in a 2006 interview with The Associated Press: "I'd probably be selling shoes today if it wasn't for Eric."
              That quote was typical of the always humble Cale. But while Clapton was already a star when he began mining Cale's catalog, there's no doubt the music they shared cemented his "Clapton is God" status and defined the second half of his career.
              "As hard as I've tried I've never really succeeded in getting a record to sound like him and that's what I want," Clapton said in a "Fast Focus" video interview to promote "Escondido." ''Before I go under the ground, I want to make a JJ Cale album with him at the helm."
              Clapton described Cale's music as "a strange hybrid. It's not really blues, it's not really folk or country or rock 'n' roll. It's somewhere in the middle."
              Cale arrived at that intersection by birth. Born John Weldon Cale in Oklahoma City, he was raised in Tulsa. Buffeted by country and western on one side and the blues on the other, Oklahoma offered a melting pot of styles. Cale leaned on those styles as he spent his formative years in Los Angeles and Nashville, but he also used drum machines and often acted as his own producer, engineer and session player. He'd bury his own whispery vocals in the mix, causing the listener to lean in and focus.
              "I think it goes back to me being a recording mixer and engineer," Cale said in a 2009 biography on his website. "Because of all the technology now you can make music yourself and a lot of people are doing that now. I started out doing that a long time ago and I found when I did that I came up with a unique sound."
              "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• Here's Bob doing JJ Cale's "Bringin' It Back From Mexico" 1975 live @ the Whiskey in L.A.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UTeFR1sFhY&feature=player_detailpage"]Bringing It Back (From Mexico) BOB SEGER 1975 Los Angeles - YouTube[/ame]
                "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• Kinda surprised nobody mentioned JJ Cale passing away over the weekend....
                  I posted it in the favorite songs thread, but it got lost in the Han Solo deluge of "favorite" songs ;)
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Eileen Brennan, who starred in 'Private Benjamin' and other films, dies

By Todd Leopold, CNN
                    updated 4:50 PM EDT, Tue July 30, 2013

(CNN) -- Eileen Brennan, who earned an Oscar nomination for her hilarious turn as the exasperated drill captain in 1980's "Private Benjamin," has died, CNN has confirmed. She was 80.
                    Brennan died Sunday at her Burbank, California, home after a battle with bladder cancer, her management company said.
                    "Our family is so grateful for the outpouring of love and respect for Eileen," her family said in a statement. "She was funny and caring and truly one of a kind. Her strength and love will never be forgotten. She will be greatly missed by all of us."
                    Brennan was known for character roles as sassy, brassy women, the kind with a sandpaper surface but a light, pure heart.
                    She played a waitress in "The Last Picture Show" (1971), the companion of Paul Newman's conman in "The Sting" (1973), a wisecracking maid in "At Long Last Love" (1975) and Mrs. Peacock in "Clue" (1985). She also did a great deal of television, including a reprise of her "Private Benjamin" role in the TV series of the same name.
                    Other TV appearances included guest shots on "Taxi," "thirtysomething," "ER," "Murder, She Wrote," "Mad About You," "Touched by an Angel" and six episodes of "Will & Grace." The latter earned her an Emmy nomination, one of seven she earned in her career -- including one that resulted in a win, a supporting actress-comedy pick for "Private Benjamin."
                    Verla Eileen Regina Brennan was born in Los Angeles in 1932, the daughter of a doctor and a silent-film actress. After several small stage roles, she finally earned notice for her 1959 off-Broadway turn as "Little Mary Sunshine," for which she won an Obie. Five years later, she gained fame for her performance as Irene Molloy, one of the woman who falls victim to Dolly Levi's matchmaking skills, in the 1960s hit musical "Hello, Dolly!"
                    In 1982, Brennan was involved in a horrific accident, struck by a car as she exited a restaurant with "Benjamin" co-star Goldie Hawn. She suffered broken bones in her face, an eyeball pulled from its socket and two broken legs. Even after recovering physically -- a process that took years -- she suffered from an addiction to painkillers and entered the Betty Ford Clinic in 1984.
                    "It was my only hope," Brennan told People magazine in 1985. "I had reached the stage where I was taking anything I could get my hands on."
                    Typical of her upbeat attitude, however, she told the magazine she took pride in her recovery.
                    "Everyone hits bottom their own way," she said. "Mine came through my accident, which led to my pill addiction, which led to my birth. I say birth rather than rebirth because I feel born new. I re-established a spiritual connection that is lost when you are taking any kind of drug. Strangely enough I wouldn't have missed my accident. It just knocks me out to say that, but I mean it."
                    Brennan also survived a bout with breast cancer in 1990.
                    Brennan was married to David John Lampson from 1968 to 1974. She is survived by two sons, Patrick Brennan and Sam Lampson

Comment

• "I posted it in the favorite songs thread, but it got lost in the Han Solo deluge of "favorite" songs"
                      ----------------------------I saw it.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• was that a deluge or a monsoon?

Comment

• I saw it too.

In my head, as I scrolled, I said: "Country, Country, more country, FFS more country, Aw Jaysus H, more fking country, oh no, JJ is dead, that ain't good, more Godforsaken country, aw fuck, RADIOHEAD!"
                          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Ha! :-D

Comment

• Ex-Wing Shawn Burr dies at 47: 'A big loss for the hockey community'

12:11 AM, August 6, 2013

Shawn Burr / Detroit Free Press file photo

By George Sipple and Helene St. James

Detroit Free Press Sports Writers

Shawn Burr. / Mary Schroeder/DFP

Shawn Burr, whose upbeat personality made him a fan and teammate favorite during his time with the Red Wings, has died. He was 47.
                              Burr had battled cancer in recent years, but died about 7 p.m. Monday after a fall down the stairs earlier in the day at his home in St. Clair that caused massive brain trauma, according to Dave Goetze, who runs the Shawn Burr Foundation. Goetze said the decision was made to remove him from life support after he was given a poor prognosis.
                              Kris Draper played only a couple seasons with Burr but said anyone that was around Burr any significant amount of time had a good time.
                              “If you were in the same room with him, you knew you were going to laugh and you knew it wasn’t going to be quiet,” Draper said. “He was definitely a guy that had a lot to say, talked a lot, had some unreal one-liners. Very quick, very witty. Just a great guy to be around. I probably saw him more in our golf tournaments than I did playing with him.
                              “It’s a big loss for the hockey community. The sad thing is we all know he was sick and he was battling cancer. From the sounds of it, it was something that wasn’t related to the cancer that he was fighting.”
                              Chris Osgood overlapped with Burr during Burr's last seasons with the Wings and remembers a guy who never stopped talking - or laughing.
                              "He was a funny guy, a nonstop talker, always had a trick to play," Osgood said. "My first game as a rookie, he put my name upside down on my jersey. He was the guy in the ‘90s who kept everybody else relaxed. He did the dirty work for the team on the ice and then kept the guys relaxed in the dressing room."
                              Burr was drafted by the Wings seventh overall in 1984, debuting with them the following season. He would go on to play 16 years in the NHL, completing his career with the Tampa Bay Lighting and San Jose Sharks. He produced 181 goals and 259 assists for 440 points in 878 games. His larger-than-life personality shone through in interviews and on the ice. After departing the Wings after the 1994-95 season — which saw the Wings go all the way to the Stanley Cup finals — Burr went from Tampa Bay to San Jose and back to the Lightning for one last go-around, in 1999-2000.
                              He returned to the Detroit area to live, joining the Wings' alumni association. The quality of the games may have changed, but Burr's personality hadn't.
                              "I know some of the other guys on the alumni team, they told me he'd sit in the dressing room and talk non-stop," Osgood said. "Then he'd take a shift on the ice, and when he was done with it, talk again.
                              "He had a lot, a lot of energy. He always had something going on."
                              Burr was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in February 2011, but underwent treatment, including chemotherapy. He eventually underwent a bone marrow transplant operation, came through it and beat the cancer back.
                              Keith Gave, a former Red Wings beat writer for the Detroit Free Press, said Burr was someone that teammates and media members gravitated to in the locker room.
                              “It’s devastating news to me,” Gave said. “Shawn Burr was not only a fun guy to watch play hockey, but he was one of the finest people I ever met.
                              “In the dressing room he made us laugh and he made us cry. He was the kid in the corner in tears at the end of every season when they got knocked out of the playoffs. Most of all, he made the game fun for everybody. He shared the experiences with everybody. His teammates tolerated him because he talked to so much and opponents hated him. He was a Claude Lemiuex-type.
                              “In the end, probably talked his way out of Detroit. He talked too much for Scotty Bowman’s liking. He always had a crowd of media around him, because he talked and he spoke well. I would compare him a little bit to Kris Draper. He was one of those guys you gravitated to.”
                              Gave said Burr always had a few new jokes to tell on a daily basis after practice.
                              Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill played with Burr on the Red Wings and remembered him being a fun-loving guy.
                              “Just full of life,” Nill said. “He was always talking in the dressing room. Character guy. Always had a smile on his face. Just a good man.”
                              Donations or memorials can be made to the Shawn Burr Foundation, P.O. Box 610812, Port Huron, MI 48061.

Comment

• Wow, I can't believe Shawn Burr is gone at 47. That's way too young to go.

rest in peace
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X