Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
    Sharky the DJ queues up, "In the Year 2525."

.....You won't find a thing to do, some machine's doing it for you.....
    2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• I'm sure this will all come as a shock, but it looks like the media made a bigger deal about the iphones than was necessary.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-3fIs2jQs"]iPhone Bending: Consumer Reports' Lab Results - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Hmmm, they didn't test a Nokia Lumia. It would have likely broken that Instron machine. :p
        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• So, I'm guessing the LAN port was just going bad, but it'd be nice if someone with more technical experience could shed some light on this for me.

For the past six months or more, I've been dealing with laggy, unresponsive internet on my computer at home. I had to stop using one browser because of it. I figured it was just some hdd or cache issue, but tonight it stopped working entirely. Luckily my motherboard has two LAN ports, so I tried swapping it to the other one.

All the issues I'd been having immediately cleared up. The internet is snappy, and the old browser works just like it used to.

Is it just a case that the LAN port went bad (and do I need to worry about my motherboard), or is it another issue?

Everything is great now, but I did a search and didn't really see anything that explained what happened to me.

Comment

• It sounds like it is just a bad port. If it was a motherboard issue, you would be seeing other problems.

Comment

• not impossible that the nic simply went bad - good that you have another and that it was easily fixed.
              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Thanks guys. Makes me wish I would have tried swapping ports earlier!

Comment

• I have a similar, yet different, situation going on. My connection to WiFi at work hasn't been working too well lately. I'm the only one experiencing the problem. If I take the laptop off of my docking station, the connection immediately works great. Had them swap docking stations, same problem. The docking station at home works fine...no wifi issues.

???? Weird one.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Wow, that is weird.

Comment

• deb - laptop brand and model?
                      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Is the docking station on a wired LAN connection? It would seem that while docked, the laptop would choose to use the wired connection over the wi-fi, and your problems could be in the wired connection...just a guess.
                        The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• but then why would it work for her at home?

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                            but then why would it work for her at home?
                            Corporate espionage in the building?
                            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

but then why would it work for her at home?
                              Well, either her home docking station doesn't have a wired LAN connection, so it's using the wi-fi, or it does have a LAN connection that is working fine.
                              The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

So, I'm guessing the LAN port was just going bad, but it'd be nice if someone with more technical experience could shed some light on this for me.

For the past six months or more, I've been dealing with laggy, unresponsive internet on my computer at home. I had to stop using one browser because of it. I figured it was just some hdd or cache issue, but tonight it stopped working entirely. Luckily my motherboard has two LAN ports, so I tried swapping it to the other one.

All the issues I'd been having immediately cleared up. The internet is snappy, and the old browser works just like it used to.

Is it just a case that the LAN port went bad (and do I need to worry about my motherboard), or is it another issue?

Everything is great now, but I did a search and didn't really see anything that explained what happened to me.
                                so you have to determine is it hardware, software, the IP stack.

next time the internet is "laggy" go to a command prompt and simply ping 8.8.8.8 and annotate the time.

Try this command ping 8.8.8.8 -t

let it run for a good screen full to stop the ping sweep press <ctrl> and the C key at the same time

We are looking at the latency of the time the ping packet, the time it takes the ping packet to leave your pc and return to your pc after hitting one of the google dns servers.

normal ping time to hit google for most of us is between 50ms and 100ms, what we are looking for is crazy swings like

80ms
                                89ms
                                69ms
                                75ms
                                455ms
                                reply timed out
                                reply timed out
                                999ms
                                300ms
                                89ms
                                91ms
                                79ms
                                900ms
                                reply timed out

then switch NIC's and do it again and compare the ping sweeps.
                                Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

Working...
                                X