OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post
    Are you sure it's not just a hellmouth forming out of your moniter?
    Hmmmmmm.

Good question.

What parallel are you on/close to LIFJ?
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Mason - You might be onto something. I changed the background, and I haven't had any problems for about a day now. :D

Malto - 32.78 latitude 130.73 longitude
      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
        Malto - 32.78 latitude 130.73 longitude
        OK. Saw a piece on the History channel about areas on earth that have strange magnetic properties. I believe they said the majority of them are located around the 24th parallel.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• They had a show about that on ABC, the ending sucked though

Comment

• I'm thinking about upgrading my XPS 17 laptop to an SSD for the OS and program files. While doing my initial research, I found this site with a lot of resources and they have a contest going on right now to win a 240GB Kingston SSD, so head on over and enter if you want a shot at it.

It is Week 6 and we are doing it again!  Up for grabs this week is yet another amazing Kingston HyperX 240GB SATA 3 SSD with complete migration kit! This mo

I get an extra entry for sharing this, so I hope I'm not violating spam rules - but this is a real chance to win yourself a nice SSD.
            The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• [H]ard|OCP has a review of the new Corsair 240GB Neutron SSD, and they really liked it. Here's a link: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...gb_ssd_review/
              2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• are you running one LFIJ? My first question was what all to put on my SSD - and from what I'm gathering, it'd be:

a) The OS, of course
                b) All program files
                c) important documents.

I think the important documents is a good idea because the SSD is so much more reliable than an HDD, so you won't lose important stuff if you have a failure. Apparently, even if an SSD does fail, it only stops taking new data, but will not lose your stuff.
                The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• smart move ULF - only thing to do once you get an SSD is make sure you upgrade to latest firmware. I made the move back in December at work and had random "drive not detected" issues at boot and have also seen some blue screening.
                  Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• I'm about convinced I just have to do this after looking at these performance stats on a computer like mine (although I have the i7, not the i5)

check out the stats near the bottom of the page. wow...

The Dell XPS 17 L702X is a desktop replacement style notebook that is powered…

Comment

• ULF - and if you are on Windows 7 you can image your machine and restore it....
                      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• I saw some stuff on that topic Coop, but I don't have my head around it yet. I'll be sure to read up a lot before I make the move.

I'll add it as a second drive since I have two bays in my laptop, so I'll always have my full OS and everything on the HDD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                          ULF - and if you are on Windows 7 you can image your machine and restore it....
                          I don't want to go that route because I want to get rid of some of the bloatware that came with the PC. I'm going to go with a clean install of Win 7.

You can get a pure copy of it and use your registration info from Dell's installed version. That used to be a problem with XP, but not so with Win7

Comment

• ULF - the image tool works very well, I've done it a few times. The only issue I have encountered with restoring and specifically with SSD's is that most of them need to be set to AHCI in bios. If the HDD you are using is not set to the same, it will blue screen after boot. There is a registry setting that can be changed to take care of this.
                            Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• ULF - Dell did wise up to the issue with installing upgraded OS - if the xps is supported by Dell inherently for 7, then you are right. If it is not within 30-40 days you would get the non genuine message...
                              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Yeah, I read that - thanks Coop. But don't you agree that skipping the bloatware is a good idea? I know I'll have to get all my drivers from the Dell site and all, but that's easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X